Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Demand" is the right word. There is much less demand to MAN than LHR, which explains the price differential.
I realise demand is what causes this, but if you assume all things are equal (and for the person who ultimately wants to get to Houston and can be flexible) it raises an interesting point in what UA believe the value of their product to be worth. For comparison sake, BA LHR-IAH in their premium economy comes up at £70 less for the same dates.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fusionblue
I realise demand is what causes this, but if you assume all things are equal (and for the person who ultimately wants to get to Houston and can be flexible) it raises an interesting point in what UA believe the value of their product to be worth. For comparison sake, BA LHR-IAH in their premium economy comes up at £70 less for the same dates.
I’m trying to find out the point you’re trying to make. You’re advocating LHR-MAN-IAH on SQ over LHR-IAH on UA? Will SQ sell the first BA ticket to get to MAN? Do they take the train up?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:13 pm

SFO to LIH fares are unfair

The round trip fare from SFO to LIH is $781 on the dates my wife wants to travel. However, fares are much lower to LIH from several western citied if they connect to this same SFO to LIH flight. For example, Sacramento to SFO , then connected to the same SFO to LIH flight is $321 cheaper! Would there be any penalties if we took the outbound flights as scheduled, but on the way back just get off in SFO and not take the last leg to Sacramento?

I apologize if this sort of question has been asked before but this infuriating situation is new to me.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Thats what I would do too, just make sure you dont check bags (or they go to Sacramento)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Actually, this practice is very common among the legacy airlines. Not remotely a new practice. If someone in, say Tucson, wants to fly to Lihue, they will have to make a stop somewhere to/from Lihue. AA, DL, UA will be competitive to get that customer. UA knows it can charge a premium SFO-LIH non-stop because there's no competition. You can always fly for probably cheaper, but you'll probably have to connect somewhere. As for not flying SFO-Sacramento, you'll have to be travelling only with carry-on on the return (as mentioned above) because you can't short-check a bag to SFO.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 26, 2018 at 7:27 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
unfair. Welcome to airline pricing.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The fare are not only fair, but standard practice in the airline industry. Fares are market-based.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:28 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
If Airlines Sold Paint ...

https://www.cartalk.com/content/if-airlines-sold-paint
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
The round trip fare from SFO to LIH is $781 on the dates my wife wants to travel. However, fares are much lower to LIH from several western citied if they connect to this same SFO to LIH flight. For example, Sacramento to SFO , then connected to the same SFO to LIH flight is $321 cheaper! Would there be any penalties if we took the outbound flights as scheduled, but on the way back just get off in SFO and not take the last leg to Sacramento?

I apologize if this sort of question has been asked before but this infuriating situation is new to me.
That's pretty much the way all airfares work.
Yes, it's aggravating. But welcome to the consequence of allowing mega-mergers in the airline industry to reduce us to just a handful of airlines. (though it started long before the current market environment existed, of course)
Had you considered taking Hawaiian from another Bay Area airport? Like Hawaiian to HNL or OGG and a quick 'n easy connection to LIH?
You might find better prices by increasing the flexibility of your plans.
ALSO, if you choose to terminate in a city other than your ticketed destination (i.e., getting off at SFO), be warned: the airlines don't like this, and can taken action against your MileagePlus account, up to an including termination. That said, it's unlikely that they'd do anything drastic the first time, but United is also run by a bunch of jerks these days, if you haven't noticed.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The pricing on UA's nonstop SFO-Hawaii flights provides a really great example of an airline exploiting a captive hub.

I'm struck by this virtually every time I price these flights.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think every airfare I buy is unfair. Why am I paying so many dollars for my ticket? I would prefer to pay less.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:14 pm

Yes, we're considering alternate airlines as they are often $150 cheaper. And as to the earlier comment about United's pricing being market based, I don't think it works well all the time. My wife has sometimes found that SFO - LIH flight to be 1/3 or more empty while United held their fares much higher than from other Bay Area competitors.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
...My wife has sometimes found that SFO - LIH flight to be 1/3 or more empty while United held their fares much higher than from other Bay Area competitors.
Saying the plane is 1/3 empty because SFO fares are to high is too simplistic. All the passengers are not from Bay Area. As you yourself has pointed out, fares are more competitive from outside SFO and UA is connecting those passengers in SFO. The real reasons might be low demand and oversupply of seats on certain days of the week and times of the year, rather than just high fares on a non-stop for SFO-originating passengers.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Everything is relative. 40 years ago, the US-HA fares were much higher.

But this is today. And it always hurts to see other markets sell for less

OP, as others wrote, you 1 certainly bail the SMF leg. If you do so, either create an overnight connection in SFO (if you want to check bags) or create a regular connection and don’t check bags.

Are the lIh fares based on one way or round trip purchase? If based on one way. You might want to consider other creative routings. How are the UA fares like SFO-LIH-XXX?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The fare are not only fair, but standard practice in the airline industry. Fares are market-based.
While it is true that, under certain conditions (that are not satisfied in the US air travel market), markets can produce efficient outcomes, there can be no presumption that any market outcome is fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.