Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm looking for a paid economy one-way BCN-EWR-CLE on a Sunday in late October 2019 and solely on UA metal.

Search results on UA.com yield no economy buckets; only economy flexible is available and it's about $2900. So, I figured the fares probably aren't loaded yet. But checking random Sundays as far back as August yields similar results. What gives?
To put it another way. There IS bucket availability in the lower fare classes, it's just that all the cheaper fare filings corresponding to these buckets have a roundtrip booking requirement.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is standard international one-way pricing in many markets, including Europe to the US. The cheapest BCN to CLE fare that UA has published is Y class. It will be much cheaper to tack on a return flight back to Europe or to fly a different airline. It looks like TP, EI, and TK all offer discount one-way fares on that route,
You're right. For a RT I'm seeing $1749 (on UA metal, which I want in order to take advantage of my E+ subscription). But I'm going to instead book it as an award for 70k miles (+$47). Yeah, that's a lot of miles, but I can buy them for $1400 (not that I need to), which effectively saves me $300 and gives me better flexibility.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
You're right. For a RT I'm seeing $1749 (on UA metal, which I want in order to take advantage of my E+ subscription). But I'm going to instead book it as an award for 70k miles (+$47). Yeah, that's a lot of miles, but I can buy them for $1400 (not that I need to), which effectively saves me $300 and gives me better flexibility.
One-way international awards are a great use of miles specifically for this reason.

That said, if you happen to have a United credit card, you have last-seat availability for standard awards, so there's no rush to book it at 70K. You can watch to see if the number of miles required drops.

Even if it doesn't, keep an eye on the flight as the date approaches. If saver business opens up, for a $125 change fee, you can get a very nice upgrade and a 10K mile rebate.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
That said, if you happen to have a United credit card, you have last-seat availability for standard awards, so there's no rush to book it at 70K. You can watch to see if the number of miles required drops.
Watch out for the $75 "close-in booking fee" if booking < 3 weeks out.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Watch out for the $75 "close-in booking fee" if booking < 3 weeks out.
Good point. But for travel in October 19, there's still plenty of time between now and T-21 for UA to decide they need to goose sales with some saver award space. Or even just cut-rate YN space.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
For the past five years I’ve been flying with United from Dallas Fort Worth to Tel Aviv Israel mid January to end of January. I’ve never paid more than $900 for a round-trip ticket this time of year, how come tickets are around $1800 minimum now? Are they trying to increase their earnings before 2019 begins?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
Are they trying to increase their earnings before 2019 begins?
For the sake of the shareholders, I certainly hope so. It's every company's fiduciary responsibility to try to increase profits.

The same answer applies here as to any question about prices. They charge what they do because they can.

But, for what it's worth, I see plenty of availability in your timeframe on United for around $1,250, and on other airlines for $934. On no date is the best price anywhere near $1,800.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:41 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
.Benjamin, I just checked united.com for Houston to TLV for a mid-Jan. RT and found $1,012 economy on several dates departing mid-Jan. So if you have a cheap/easy way to get to/from IAH. that's an option to get it lower than the post above shows for the DFW area.

Two other factors going on about airfares, generally: 1) EOY holiday times may be somewhat higher fares, as customers have more time to book and may have just gotten giftcards, miles, etc. with which to book. Fare sales are likely just after January 1 2) Modern airfare software used by carriers provides for even finer dynamism: fares can change frequently throughout each day, based on demand and based on any change loaded by any carrier in that market.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Psc-roc

So here is a conundrum...I am looking at going from PSC to ROC on 2/24 and I want to get there on the 8:53pm arrival from ORD to do my best to keep it under $1000 for this leg. I also want to go PSC-DEN to avoid CRJ 200s.

When I do the search there are two options depending on the DEN-ORD flight. The earlier flight gives a total cost of $690, the second $825.

Now, the weird part...if I do a multi city search and do:
PSC-DEN UA4570
DEN-ORD UA1070
OR, because it doesn't matter which.
DEN-ORD UA1259
ORD-ROC UA679

It throws $428. What the heck? Why not just use plan B to book and save nearly $300?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:15 pm

LAX-BOS business class $1900

I couldn't say when this change occurred exactly, but I am certain at some point last month there were fares that booked into Z or P; now only a $1900 C is available.

It seems that all the cheaper, -up style business/F fares contain the following restriction

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN BOS AND LAX.

One sees this restriction for the p.s. routes on these and other fares. There have been lie-flats on LAX-BOS for a while; is this a prelude to being classified p.s. / premium transcon?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tromer
I couldn't say when this change occurred exactly, but I am certain at some point last month there were fares that booked into Z or P; now only a $1900 C is available.

It seems that all the cheaper, -up style business/F fares contain the following restriction

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN BOS AND LAX.
I suspect this is temporary (and/or an error) and that you'll see discount J fares published again shortly.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect this is temporary (and/or an error) and that you'll see discount J fares published again shortly.
Hope you are right. It has been this way for at least a week and a half.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tromer
Hope you are right. It has been this way for at least a week and a half.
UA did this for SFO-EWR for a period last year . . . nothing below a $3600 C fare was published for about a week.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 am

I'm searching for IAD-LHR flights in May (about 4 months out) and all I see are D fares. How far in advance do they release other fares classes? I've tried searching for specific fare classes and it still returns only D despite showing Z,P inventory.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Looking for flights BOS-NRT in March/April, 10 night trip.

If I route through EWR on 3/25-4/4, the price is $2,276. If I purchase two separate round trips (BOS-EWR & EWR-NRT) on the same flights it is $1116 ($248 + 868).

Is purchasing two separate round-trips against United rules? Will I have to exit the terminal, pick up bags and check back in, or can I get United to "through-check" their own passenger's bags? I did google it and it sounds like they will interline their own and star alliance tickets, but not non-*A partners.

Is purchasing two separate RT tix a viable alternative to save ~$1150? Seems ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.