Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
This happens all the time, and is specifically the reason that airlines don't allow you to skip legs of a journey.
Realistically what can they really do about this. How can they really stop you from "jumping ship"? I suppose as I surmised above they get some kind of tracking information and if you abuse it enough they will let you know. I have heard of people legitimately skipping a last leg of a journey for a variety of reasons such as weather delays or schedule changes seems tough to penalize someone for that. I have even done it a couple times in my life but never had an issue fwiw.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Realistically what can they really do about this.
They can -- and will, and have -- shut down your frequent flyer account, confiscating any miles that you have and rescinding your status. (They've even done this to GS members). They can bill you. If you're working through a travel agent, they can issue a debit memo to the travel agent (basically, a bill). If you have a corporate contract, they can cancel it.

They generally won't do this for a one-off occurrence, but they absolutely will take any and all of these steps for repeat offenders.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In this case it is strictly market forces but quite a disparity to say the least. We sit on the same flight from the west coast but my friend, by virtue of leaving from the east coast (WAS in this case), gets a significant fare cut.
It's definitely common - somewhat less common but definitely happens from time to time is when it gets so far out of balance that a positioning flight to leverage it is still cheaper (e.g. SFO-SNA-SFO-MSP less than SFO-MSP, or SFO-YVR-SFO-FRA less than SFO-FRA).

Realistically what can they really do about this. How can they really stop you from "jumping ship"?
As jsloan noted, in the most extreme cases they will send you a debit memo for the difference in fare and threaten to hand your account over to collections if you don't pay. Skipped segments happen all the time due to unforeseen circumstances so doing it once or twice is not a problem, but if you skip a segment at the end of your weekly commute every time, you'll eventually wind up in a heap of trouble.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
They can -- and will, and have -- shut down your frequent flyer account, confiscating any miles that you have and rescinding your status. (They've even done this to GS members). They can bill you. If you're working through a travel agent, they can issue a debit memo to the travel agent (basically, a bill). If you have a corporate contract, they can cancel it.

They generally won't do this for a one-off occurrence, but they absolutely will take any and all of these steps for repeat offenders.
I have heard the stories and obviously the occasional "legitimate" occurrence doesn't raise a flag. But with this type of rather dramatic market pricing they are really opening the door for this type of activity. Again, I can't and typically don't even need to do this for a variety of reasons but I see the temptation and know of many that have done this. I suspect there is something in the fine print of your ticket that states you can't jump ship as well. I think it is crazy that they (airlines) can get away with this and pricing markets like this is just asking for problems.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect there is something in the fine print of your ticket that states you can't jump ship as well.
Throwaway ticketing, hidden-city ticketing, and point-beyond ticketing are all expressly prohibited by the United CoC, along with a big catch-all for "fraudulent ticketing."

Periodically, someone will show up all excited about their "new way" to try to fight airlines' "greed." They fail, pretty much universally, into these categories. The airlines have a lot more invested in defending their pricing models than any individual does in trying to find loopholes.

For anyone who gets upset about this and wants regulations that prohibit these practices, be careful what you wish for. If UA were required to allow you to use a WAS-KOA ticket to fly SFO-KOA, which of these two scenarios are more likely:

1 - SFO-KOA drops in price so that it's no greater than WAS-KOA
2 - WAS-KOA increases in price so that it's at least as much as SFO-KOA

The answer is obvious.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:11 pm

Throwaway ticketing, hidden-city ticketing, and point-beyond ticketing are all expressly prohibited by the United CoC, along with a big catch-all for "fraudulent ticketing."

Periodically, someone will show up all excited about their "new way" to try to fight airlines' "greed." They fail, pretty much universally, into these categories. The airlines have a lot more invested in defending their pricing models than any individual does in trying to find loopholes.

For anyone who gets upset about this and wants regulations that prohibit these practices, be careful what you wish for. If UA were required to allow you to use a WAS-KOA ticket to fly SFO-KOA, which of these two scenarios are more likely:

1 - SFO-KOA drops in price so that it's no greater than WAS-KOA
2 - WAS-KOA increases in price so that it's at least as much as SFO-KOA

The answer is obvious.
Well you couldn't really use a WAS - KOA to fly SFO-KOA as that would require boarding mid route and that can't happen as your ticket (and all connections) is immediately cancelled if you don't show at your first departure but I see your point. As I recall the airlines attempted to or even were successful in shutting down a web site that actually searched for such market conditions and revealed them for so called hidden city and throw away ticketing. Unfortunately I typically seem to get the brunt of the market pricing out of SFO but it is what it is....
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you couldn't really use a WAS - KOA to fly SFO-KOA as that would require boarding mid route and that can't happen as your ticket (and all connections) is immediately cancelled if you don't show at your first departure but I see your point.
There are routinely calls for governments to disallow this practice by the airlines. "I shouldn't have to use the whole ticket if I don't want to." The fact that you can throw away the last segment but not the first segment isn't an intentional strategy by the airlines, but rather a nod to the relative impossibility of forcing someone to get onto a plane if they'd prefer not to. However, it's not like they don't try -- this is why you can't short-check bags, for example.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ticket pricing to Hawaii, specifically KOA are getting really strange.
UA pricing SFO to Hawaii in general is insane. It really shows their market power at SFO, despite lots of competition. They charge more because they can.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:15 pm

UA LHR-IAH E+ is £8/8GBP cheaper than SQ Premium Economy MAN-IAH. Add premium access and it's more expensive than SQ.

The difference between the everything between those two airlines (cabin, perceived quality, SQ flies a new A350) is a lot wider than £8.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fusionblue
UA LHR-IAH E+ is £8/8GBP cheaper than SQ Premium Economy MAN-IAH. Add premium access and it's more expensive than SQ.

The difference between the everything between those two airlines (cabin, perceived quality, SQ flies a new A350) is a lot wider than £8.
And the difference of perceived quality between Manchester and London...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ticket pricing to Hawaii, specifically KOA are getting really strange. I just bought a SFO-KOA-SFO and paid $860'ish for E+ and had a friend join me on the trip. He is flying IAD-SFO-KOA-SFO-IAD. We are on the SAME return flights (KOA-SFO) but depart one day apart and get this, he is paying $640!!?? .
Well we just had a sub $400 fare sale to KOA from IAH... So big island fares are all over the place, especially from I suppose the less likely origination points.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
When my sister lived in Durango, pricing was cheaper DRO-DEN-OGG compared to departing COS or DEN. Never made any sense to me, as DRO departures to all of Hawaii wouldn’t seem like a competitive market.

Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto

And the difference of perceived quality between Manchester and London...
That depends on your actual final destination. I'd say there's almost no difference in quality (or at least that's what's implied) at £8.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fusionblue
That depends on your actual final destination. I'd say there's almost no difference in quality (or at least that's what's implied) at £8.
"Demand" is the right word. There is much less demand to MAN than LHR, which explains the price differential.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Well we just had a sub $400 fare sale to KOA from IAH... So big island fares are all over the place, especially from I suppose the less likely origination points.
Sure seems that way. UA is still running 3 NS flights a day direct SFO-KOA-SFO and they want them filled. I suspect they are funneling PAXS through SFO from multiple mid-west and east coast markets. When they added the third flight last Dec. I was curious as to how that was going to turn out as it seemed like a lot of seats to fill for the Big Island out of SFO and when the volcano took off well it was game over. Tourism is still way down but has recently picked up due to the usual summer rush but still off from normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.