Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I know this is crazy, but I'm trying to book TPA-JAX on United.... individually these are like $200 - $300 roundtrip tickets (TPA-EWR, EWR-JAX), so it should be $500 - $600 RT (TPA-JAX)... why is this so hard to book and so expensive???
You've answered your own question.

Many discount UA fares are priced to disallow end-on-end construction. UA figures that there is a very limited market for this type of itinerary, and they'd really rather not sell it to you... but if you absolutely insist, then they'll come up with a price.

Basically, UA doesn't file a fare from TPA-JAX that allows transfers because they don't expect anyone to want to buy it. And they don't allow you to hook together fares end-on-end, mostly because they don't want you to be able to link a cheap JAX-ORD fare with a cheap ORD-LAX fare are get across the country for $59.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:48 pm Reason: Added underlined bit per findark :)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
jsloan hit at the heart of it. You're trying to fly hundreds of miles out of the way, and UA has no interest in that. They actually do file fares TPA-JAX, but they all require nonstop travel (for obvious reasons). Constructing four fares end-on-end (which would be needed to go via a hub) triggers a ~W fare minimum for combinability reasons, and yields the price you see.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Basically, UA doesn't file a fare from TPA-JAX because they don't expect anyone to want to buy it. And they don't allow you to hook together fares end-on-end, mostly because they don't want you to be able to link a cheap JAX-ORD fare with a cheap ORD-LAX fare are get across the country for $59.
jsloan - thank you!

The $59 cross country thing makes total sense, but I'm just trying to go across the state! And not a particularly wide one! LOL!

Everything you wrote makes sense, thank you!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
They actually do file fares TPA-JAX, but they all require nonstop travel (for obvious reasons).
That's what I get for assuming. I suppose it makes sense; I'd only ever thought about flying Silver as part of a connecting itinerary.

jsloan - thank you!

The $59 cross country thing makes total sense, but I'm just trying to go across the state! And not a particularly wide one! LOL!

Everything you wrote makes sense, thank you!
Happy to help. And, I agree with your point -- I don't think UA was necessarily trying to target trans-Florida flyers. You just got caught in the jetwash, so to speak. If you really want to do this, you can purchase two separate tickets and get the lower cost, but you're more or less at UA's mercy if your first flight is delayed.

Is it the driving that you hate, or is it the road? For the prices you're looking at, you might be able to get an Uber and end up in JAX earlier than if you flew...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I know this is crazy, but I'm trying to book TPA-JAX on United. I've done the Silver Airways partner flight way too many times now, and would prefer to earn some PQMs & PQD, and have back up options if there is a flight delay / cancellation (I got stranded a couple of weeks ago and had to drive - I hate driving).

I found viable options through all four realistic major hubs (EWR, ORD, IAD, and IAH) - with IAD being the shortest/fastest option (~5 hours on the outbound) and EWR being the best from a delay / cancelation perspective given the number of daily flights (7 between TPA-EWR and 4 between EWR-JAX).

Now here is the crazy part - I called the 1K desk and the agent couldn't couldn't even get it to price! I tried multi-city option on the Book Travel section on united.com and it came back at about $900 (granted, I'm flying Mon-Fri, but still)... individually these are like $200 - $300 roundtrip tickets (TPA-EWR, EWR-JAX), so it should be $500 - $600 RT (TPA-JAX)... why is this so hard to book and so expensive???
Book it as two separate flights. EWR-TPA is usually ~$200 rt and EWR-JAX jumps around between $200-$400 rt, so you can just make your own itinerary.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:29 pm

I know this is Flyertalk, but you know you can take the bus round-trip for $40 and less travel time, right?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
I know this is Flyertalk, but you know you can take the bus round-trip for $40 and less travel time, right?
Yeah, the bus, the train is an option I've looked at as well, and as jsloan pointed out, I could probably get an Uber... my wife has actually suggested a car service, which I used to use to get to Newark when I live a couple of hours away in Pennsylvania. I'd get a car to EWR when I flew to Asia.

Thank you everyone for the great replies and increasing my knowledge in the process!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Why are UA such Bandits ?

Booking flights at short notice over the pond to DUB for mothers funeral, UA/EI fare for Aer lingus site around $2300, .bomb same routes and planes $5200, Cheapest UA overall fare $3500 .....pretty outrageous I think
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Booking flights at short notice over the pond to DUB for mothers funeral, UA/EI fare for Aer lingus site around $2300, .bomb same routes and planes $5200, Cheapest UA overall fare $3500 .....pretty outrageous I think
I think "bandits" force you to give up something.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Why does the OP want a regulated market? Surely UA is free to charge what it wants / can get away with. Short notice suggests business - presumably this is a code share and UA might well have limited inventory which it thinks it can sell. The OP is as free to book with EI as UA is to charge a premium.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'll cut the OP some slack and offer some sympathy given the circumstances. It's times like this that exploring award options may be a better choice, regardless of standard or saver. Best of luck to the OP, and sorry for your loss.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Why does the OP want a regulated market? Surely UA is free to charge what it wants / can get away with. Short notice suggests business - presumably this is a code share and UA might well have limited inventory which it thinks it can sell. The OP is as free to book with EI as UA is to charge a premium.
And he did !, PS the market is regulated by lobbyists, paid for senators and unions. More competition please !!!!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Ticket pricing to Hawaii, specifically KOA are getting really strange. I just bought a SFO-KOA-SFO and paid $860'ish for E+ and had a friend join me on the trip. He is flying IAD-SFO-KOA-SFO-IAD. We are on the SAME return flights (KOA-SFO) but depart one day apart and get this, he is paying $640!!?? BTW, we both booked yesterday. I am sure some FT gurus will have an explanation for this. I have some ideas but have never seen the price disparity this big. I just had a friend book KOA-LAX-CSL because it was cheaper than KOA-LAX and did the old get off in LA trick, but this seems different to me.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I am sure some FT gurus will have an explanation for this.
Indeed. Not only does airfare vary by the day of the week, but also by market. UA often charges a premium on SFO-KOA because they offer nonstop service. On WAS-KOA, competitive forces have knocked the airfare down -- everybody has to connect, so UA can't extract a premium.

This happens all the time, and is specifically the reason that airlines don't allow you to skip legs of a journey.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Indeed. Not only does airfare vary by the day of the week, but also by market. UA often charges a premium on SFO-KOA because they offer nonstop service. On WAS-KOA, competitive forces have knocked the airfare down -- everybody has to connect, so UA can't extract a premium.

This happens all the time, and is specifically the reason that airlines don't allow you to skip legs of a journey.
In this case it is strictly market forces but quite a disparity to say the least. We sit on the same flight from the west coast but my friend, by virtue of leaving from the east coast (WAS in this case), gets a significant fare cut. I could play the skip the trailing leg of a booking on the return and book two one ways and probably save a few bucks as I don't check bags but I have heard if you do it often enough you may get "red listed" so I have only rarely played that game. BTW, I would add that prior to the volcano flights from the east were typically still at least a couple of hundred more to KOA than originating out of the west coast so this does seem to be a somewhat recent pricing change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.