Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Hope so! Pretty much any NYC-Southern Hemisphere (and Hawaii) destination seems a bit outrageous right now.
Likewise, while I book a lot of biz travel my business is my own so it eventually reaches the bottom line....my pocket. Cutting back on international travel this year but still getting beat up on Hawaii and TCON routes (EWR/BOS).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
High Pricing for 2018 Summer Trip

I usually like to book in advance to solidify plans and hopefully get decent prices but seems United just doesn't want my business. AUS to PUJ June 9-16, 2018 pricing at $1500/ticket economy right now (B class). In years past a few weeks after tickets go on sale lower fare buckets opened up but not this year it seems. (I can get business class on Delta/American for $1100/ticket). Anybody have any insight? I dont run an airline but I would think they would want to sell some tickets early (perhaps not at the lowest price), have money in their bank account for 10 months, start getting a sense of how full the plane will be earlier rather than later, and compete with their competition.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by Brosson
I usually like to book in advance to solidify plans and hopefully get decent prices but seems United just doesn't want my business. AUS to PUJ June 9-16, 2018 pricing at $1500/ticket economy right now (B class). In years past a few weeks after tickets go on sale lower fare buckets opened up but not this year it seems. (I can get business class on Delta/American for $1100/ticket). Anybody have any insight? I dont run an airline but I would think they would want to sell some tickets early (perhaps not at the lowest price), have money in their bank account for 10 months, start getting a sense of how full the plane will be earlier rather than later, and compete with their competition.
If you're booking this far out and your dates aren't flexible, they're going to try and get you. It's captive pricing. They'll open up, it's like a short position.. just have to sweat it out.

Been tracking Jan flights for months PHL-DEN, F9/AA dropped to $134 RT (for basic) this week, and I was able to jump on the UA mini-sale in that battle at $240 as I'll be checking skis, a second bag and free E+. They're experts at putting their price right on the edge of what I'd pay vs. the competition.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by Tblack15
If you're booking this far out and your dates aren't flexible, they're going to try and get you. It's captive pricing. They'll open up, it's like a short position.. just have to sweat it out.
Agreed. Prices way out are often very, very high. A lot of people have looked at when to find the cheapest seat, and most of the results are in the 2-4 month in advance range.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Welcome to FT!

I dont run an airline but I would think they would want to sell some tickets early (perhaps not at the lowest price),
That is why you don't run an airline

have money in their bank account for 10 months, start getting a sense of how full the plane will be earlier rather than later, and compete with their competition.
They already have a sense of how "full" it would be, that is why they offer the frequency and specific plane for PUJ.

Similar in spirit to Tblack15's post. UA believes if you want to book this early... that it may mean you NEED to book this early. And you are quite specific with your dates. Flexibility is paramount when price is a big consideration.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Google Flights is your friend. Save the flight and you'll get an email when the price drops. Beats going onto United.com every day to check.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Cheapest airfares are on average offered around 60 days from departure. That's just an average and there are certainly times when it's better to book earlier, but if you are booking 6+ months prior to departure, you are probably paying too much.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I usually like to book in advance to solidify plans and hopefully get decent prices but seems United just doesn't want my business. AUS to PUJ June 9-16, 2018 pricing at $1500/ticket economy right now (B class). In years past a few weeks after tickets go on sale lower fare buckets opened up but not this year it seems. (I can get business class on Delta/American for $1100/ticket). Anybody have any insight? ...
Why not fly Delta or American, who seem to want your business? Some carriers are just not competitive on some routes.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:41 pm

EWR to DEN/EGE pricing is CRAZY

What is United doing this year??? Almost all December flights from EWR to DEN are $500+ whereas flights from PHL or LGA or JFK are in the $150-$200 range one way. Also, did United cut back on EWR to EGE direct flights this year? VERY VERY hard to find. There used to be 1-2 per day during peak season.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
EWR-EGE doesn't start until 12/20, at which point it becomes daily through 4/2 (with a few random exceptions). If you are going Christmas time in December, the prices will be ridiculous. I am trying to book EWR-DEN/EGE/HDN in February and the prices are also astronomically high.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Pretty well covered in this now-closed thread: United does not need to compete in Newark?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:47 pm

I see... It used to start much earlier I believe.

The flights from EWR to DEN are ridiculous. LGA to DEN is much more reasonable.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
What is United doing this year??? Almost all December flights from EWR to DEN are $500+ whereas flights from PHL or LGA or JFK are in the $150-$200 range one way. Also, did United cut back on EWR to EGE direct flights this year? VERY VERY hard to find. There used to be 1-2 per day during peak season.
The first full week of December can be had for less than $300 from EWR. A lot of availability into next year as well for under $300.

I have always flown out of LGA for Denver trips.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
EWR-ATL pricing out of whack!

Trying to book a rt flight EWR-ATL a few weeks out, and the lowest fare it's giving me (for all nonstops) is M, while it shows 9 seats in every fare class (X, N, G, K, L, etc.) and there are tons of open seats on the plane. Very strange - happening for literally every single date I check. In some instances, Basic Econ is even pricing ABOVE the lowest econ (M).

I called the premier desk, she checked with .com after agreeing it seemed off, and they told her it was correct and was due to inventory - which makes no sense, as she agreed that the loads were already very light.

Any ideas?? Need to book this for an upcoming work trip and really don't want to fly DL, but also can't justify a $1,000 RT economy ticket to my boss.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lushwave
Trying to book a rt flight EWR-ATL a few weeks out,
What dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.