Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
They do templates a lot, and it's a great source of mistakes although they're usually not in our favor (just make nice looking fares impossible to use). Q schedules are the absolute worst, especially when the differential F fares on a domestic route just have e.g. Q46.51 every day for no apparent reason whatsoever.
What is a Q schedule?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Prices (for all future dates) from the West Coast have been insane of late - asking $8k for a P fare! I suspect after the US summer buying spree ends things may go back to normal.
Hope so! Pretty much any NYC-Southern Hemisphere (and Hawaii) destination seems a bit outrageous right now.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by symphonicman
What is a Q schedule?
Category 12 of most UA fares contains a schedule or calendar of dates on which to apply peak travel surcharges. These appear in the fare construction with the code "Q", so "Q schedule".
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:31 pm

Category 12 of most UA fares contains a schedule or calendar of dates on which to apply peak travel surcharges. These appear in the fare construction with the code "Q", so "Q schedule".
Interesting. Thanks for the info ^
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver
Another quick question for you all;

Have fares from IAH to NAS always been astronomical?

I'm looking at 07 Dec - 11 Dec and it's $1100 for economy and $1500 for first (econ on Silver Airways from FLL since since it's a Saab). I can save a few bucks by connecting in EWR (no thank you).

It appears SWA doesn't fly to NAS from HOU. AA and DL are $900ish for first with a connection in ATL or CLT.

My tripmates are paying $400-500ish from TOR, IAD and JFK respectively. All on various airlines.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Another quick question for you all;

Have fares from IAH to NAS always been astronomical?

I'm looking at 07 Dec - 11 Dec and it's $1100 for economy and $1500 for first (econ on Silver Airways from FLL since since it's a Saab). I can save a few bucks by connecting in EWR (no thank you).

It appears SWA doesn't fly to NAS from HOU. AA and DL are $900ish for first with a connection in ATL or CLT.

My tripmates are paying $400-500ish from TOR, IAD and JFK respectively. All on various airlines.
IAH is one of United's Hub so given that, the price is like that because of the limited seats left. I wouldn't suggest altering a married flights if you're bringing a checked bag. Your bag will still follow the route the flight is marketed as it tends to be lost.

Example IAH UA01 -----> DEN UA02 ------>EWR (As marketed)
Then take IAH UA01 ------> DEN UA03 ------>LGA (Not Marketed together)

If you check in you bag, it will end up in EWR
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver
Thanks for the response!

Yeah I live in Houston now so I've seen some of the hub pricing craziness. I've never been to the Bahamas so I was shocked when I saw how expensive and restrictive the routings were.

What I'll probably end up doing is booking two itins on SWA (HOU-FLL and then FLL-NAS since SWA won't book a HOU-NAS). That'll allow me to catch the same flight as some friends going IAD-NAS
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:26 pm

Round trips ORD-NYC/HPN for Thanksgiving look ridiculous. At least $150 more than on AA, so I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet now so I don't get stuck with something even worse, or whether I should wait. (Alternative is to spend the same amount to do an ORD-PEK turn, but I have a feeling the family might not like that)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm confused.. I see $5xx for Wednesday out and Sunday home in Y. It's not dirt cheap but it's hardly crazy for being the busiest travel time of the year.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by segiddins
Round trips ORD-NYC/HPN for Thanksgiving look ridiculous. At least $150 more than on AA, so I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet now so I don't get stuck with something even worse, or whether I should wait. (Alternative is to spend the same amount to do an ORD-PEK turn, but I have a feeling the family might not like that)
Probably worth biting the bullet now vs. wait. These travel dates rarely see discounts, and fill up anyway. I have seen a couple anomaly years where prices drop within the week prior to departure if several seats go unsold... but that's certainly not worth holding out for. My DEN-STL for Thanksgiving is rarely less than $500 r.t.... many times, I will just spill out some miles and save the $$, especially if it's over $600. Save the ORD-PEK for another time... besides, that bit of information belongs in the mileage run forums... I'm considering doing one of those on a quick turn (maybe with 3 days to check out the place) this fall.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Probably worth biting the bullet now vs. wait. These travel dates rarely see discounts, and fill up anyway. I have seen a couple anomaly years where prices drop within the week prior to departure if several seats go unsold... but that's certainly not worth holding out for. My DEN-STL for Thanksgiving is rarely less than $500 r.t.... many times, I will just spill out some miles and save the $$, especially if it's over $600. Save the ORD-PEK for another time... besides, that bit of information belongs in the mileage run forums... I'm considering doing one of those on a quick turn (maybe with 3 days to check out the place) this fall.
I typically do SFO-KOA Thanksgiving week and just saw $3200 for E, E+ was already sold out. I looked at the loads and wouldn't wait to see if it would drop as the KOA flights were all pretty full. I then booked it with AS out of OAK for less than half that price and got a exit row.
On routes that I know the pricing on well I will often hang out and watch when the pricing is way out of line. I booked earlier this year a SFO-OGG that dropped over $400 from its initial early crazy price listing. The flight wasn't filling up and prices dropped, no surprise.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:33 pm

SFO-IAD over Thanksgiving is $280 outbound on Wednesday but $480 for the return on Monday. Drops down to $280 again on Tuesday. That's a hefty premium.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:21 pm

I have to fly from SFO to IAH, pick up the mother in law and continue to ELP.
Choosing SFO-ELP and forcing a layover in IAH is $1700. Ouch.

Booking it as one itinerary with four legs come in at a more reasonable $630 or so, but there is always a stop between SFO/IAH. Weird stops as well such as DFW,LAS,AUS and of course DEN. Without a layover on the first and fourth legs its back to $1700.

IAH to ELP is $290. Not good, not bad.

This is for flights on Sept 9 and return on the 13th.

For $300 United wants me to go to ELP stopping in first at LAX and then in DEN. 2 stops on each leg.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you trying to price as two one-ways? A lot of the problem here is that any fare you're interested in paying on SFO-IAH requires a Saturday night stay (and round-trip). The cheapest one-way fare is an M fare over $600. UA likes their monopoly.

The connections are showing up with fare breaks in the connecting cities, but without more detail it's hard to guess exactly what you're trying to do.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Booking it as one itinerary with four legs come in at a more reasonable $630 or so, but there is always a stop between SFO/IAH. Weird stops as well such as DFW,LAS,AUS and of course DEN.
Connect in Austin. Have some Salt Lick Barbecue. Top it off with Amy's Ice Cream. Thank me later.

Having said that, where do you get four legs? Are you bringing your mother-in-law back to Houston? So, SFO-IAH-ELP-IAH-SFO? I'm not able to reproduce the fare that you're seeing. Which specific flights are you trying to book? Maybe there's an availability issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.