Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it's likely that the cost of premier accelerator will be greater than the cost of buying E+ and a checked bag. this should be your calculation.

you will not get upgrades on international flights as a premier silver member unless you are going to have a 1K apply a GPU for you, and rarely will you get them on domestic flights. i would not factor upgrade prioritization into your calculation -- do it solely based on cost of E+ and checked bag (if applicable) versus the cost of doing premier accelerator.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, USAir
Thank you both!

Would the fact that I would get 125% mileage if I did have the premier, play a factor...? 10K vs 12,500 is still a reasonable amount. But then again, that doesn't count for next year, this year only.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canon1243
... Would the fact that I would get 125% mileage if I did have the premier, play a factor...? ...
Silver elite bonus is for flight RDMs. Not for PQMs or purchased RDMs.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 23, 2013 at 4:10 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, USAir
Ah ok. Noted! :-)

Been a non-rev on USair for years now, normally 50K-75K a year through that, so switching to a regular customer with loyalty has been a learning experience!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canon1243
Ah ok. Noted! :-)

Been a non-rev on USair for years now, normally 50K-75K a year through that, so switching to a regular customer with loyalty has been a learning experience!
Also consider flying a quick MR from ORD-XXX - (west coast, maybe)? That should give you 2953 miles for a lot less than Premier Accelerator.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
RT ORD-MKE........very easy flight, can do it in 1 1/2 hour.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Don't forget the visa (+$130), unless you're routing through different countries on way in and way out.
Very good point. I just got mine, and yes it does add that cost. Just for added information- the visa is good for one year, for multiple entries. So, you wouldn't have this expense next year if you needed to do this again :-) and you could freshen it up a bit by doing PEK (Beijing)- for usually around the same cost.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:42 am

The year-end rush to earn PQMs

I currently have Platinum status but I am 5,400 miles short for the year to maintain status in 2014. Will applying for a Chase MileagePlus card allow me to earn the PQM miles I need? Are there any other ways of earning the PQMs needed to achieve Platinum status in 2014?

Paul
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by merkur
Will applying for a Chase MileagePlus card allow me to earn the PQM miles I need?
No.
Originally Posted by merkur
Are there any other ways of earning the PQMs needed to achieve Platinum status in 2014?
Fly 'em or buy 'em.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This will help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 Gold, VX Silver, Global Entry
Getting final status bump from non-earning ticket?

Apologies from the start if this has already been answered...long-time lurker, first time poster.

I just concluded a long itinerary, booked on UA (SFO-->FRA-->BLR), in K. I booked all on UA site, so assumed that since United K will always earn miles on United, and the eticket said all legs were "united" (though FRA<->BLR was operated by LH), that I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that K *on LH* does not earn miles on UA MP. Whoops.

Clearly learned a lesson there. However, the sticky thing I'm hoping to figure out is that missing out on any miles from either of those two flights on LH now leaves me 731 miles short of getting Gold status on the year, with no more travel planned (and without any great opportunities for an MR).

So, question is: any chance of me getting either a) some of the miles from the flight or b) bumped up to Gold anyway, in light of the fact that I actually flew way more than I needed to, and the "K Class" mixup from above?

I tried calling, and they recommended emailing, which I've done...any other ideas? Or ways I should be going about this differently?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Most definitive way is to 'purchase PQM (PremierQualifyingMiles) but these will cost you about 15 cents per mile and you will probably have to buy a sizable chunk.

To do this - buy a ticket, wait for ticketing, then after this, choose the PQM option with 'PremierMaximiser' If you don't do this, you just get miles and they won't count to status (Miles alone will cost about 2cent per mile)

Cancel the ticket within the 24 hour window - the miles will stay.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
one of the solutions are here

and many more here

this will probably get merged to the second soon
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Moultrie
Apologies from the start if this has already been answered...long-time lurker, first time poster.

I just concluded a long itinerary, booked on UA (SFO-->FRA-->BLR), in K. I booked all on UA site, so assumed that since United K will always earn miles on United, and the eticket said all legs were "united" (though FRA<->BLR was operated by LH), that I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that K *on LH* does not earn miles on UA MP. Whoops.

Clearly learned a lesson there. However, the sticky thing I'm hoping to figure out is that missing out on any miles from either of those two flights on LH now leaves me 731 miles short of getting Gold status on the year, with no more travel planned (and without any great opportunities for an MR).

So, question is: any chance of me getting either a) some of the miles from the flight or b) bumped up to Gold anyway, in light of the fact that I actually flew way more than I needed to, and the "K Class" mixup from above?

I tried calling, and they recommended emailing, which I've done...any other ideas? Or ways I should be going about this differently?

Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

a) I think there's a 0% chance they'll give you any credit
b) Maybe in the old days before the merger..but now they love to give you the chance to keep your status level..for a fee with an offer likely coming in the beginning of January. I've not been a victim of this myself as I've never taken any chances by being slightly under. My advice.. either take a flight or use Premier Accelerator to purchase the PQM's. Do a search for Premier Accelerator and you'll find instructions. Actually the cost of getting 731 PQM's would not be that much.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 Gold, VX Silver, Global Entry
thanks -- sounds like finding a route of just enough and buying PQM is probably the way to go. Will do that assuming the negative reply I expect from them is what I get...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.