Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by debracey
.... If I book a flight that is worth, say, 1000 mi by itself, then use the "double miles" w/EQM option I should get a total of 2000 mi in the end. BUT, if I cancel the ticket do I end up with:

a. The total 2000 EQMs (1000 for the flight [which I am no longer ticketed for] + 1000 purchased)

-or-

b. 1000 EQMs (only the purchased miles)

Thanks!
the purchased miles option does not include the flight miles -- it is additional mileage, so if the purchase option states 2,000 you will have purchased 2,000 miles. There is no strict double / triple mileage option any more -- the two options are "selected by UA" to you.

The flight miles will only post if you actually fly them.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:30 pm

UK -Mileage Plus 1K/MNBA card

So it appears I am short of 9K PQMs to get to 1K this year, I know there's not a lot of difference between Platinum and 1K but what the hell.

I got an offer through for either an Amex/Visa card from MBNA that gives me 12K miles when I sign up and spend 1K in the first 90 days. What I didn't find anywhere is whether these points are normal miles or PQMs. Anyone out there know the answer? It also doesn't say if there is a FX fee to use the card abroad..
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by jeremynyc
So it appears I am short of 9K PQMs to get to 1K this year, I know there's not a lot of difference between Platinum and 1K but what the hell.

I got an offer through for either an Amex/Visa card from MBNA that gives me 12K miles when I sign up and spend 1K in the first 90 days. What I didn't find anywhere is whether these points are normal miles or PQMs. Anyone out there know the answer? It also doesn't say if there is a FX fee to use the card abroad..
They're normal miles.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
555 miles short for Premier Platinum

I just realized that I am 555 miles short to qualify for the Premier Platinum for next year. Is there any way to purchase those miles without having to do a mileage run?

thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zhenya
I just realized that I am 555 miles short to qualify for the Premier Platinum for next year. Is there any way to purchase those miles without having to do a mileage run?

thanks.
Yes, see here.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by jeremynyc

Non PQM as noted.

Buying 9k of PQM with no travel is probably going to cost you about 3k USD right now, but that is arguably worth it IF you plan travel in 2014

- extra 25% bonus on Miles
GPUs if you can use them.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:13 pm

1500 miles away from status - what to do?

Hi - I am 1500 miles away from finally reaching Silver on United. I'd like to fly someplace to reach status before the end of the year, but not break the bank. Any suggestions? Denver is my home airport. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by td911
Hi - I am 1500 miles away from finally reaching Silver on United. I'd like to fly someplace to reach status before the end of the year, but not break the bank. Any suggestions? Denver is my home airport. Thanks!
Common question this time of the year -- unfortunately at this point, cost is going to be non-optimal

A consideration will be if Silver is worth to you the cost (my guess you will be look at above $200 and likely more at this point).

Second -- do you purchased the PQMs or do you do a mileage run (perhaps cheaper but takes time) at this point?

pros/cons of those choices are debated in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html (focus on 2013 posts)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
2014 Qualification Advice

Business traveler who was 1k in 2012, Platinum in 2013. I've only flown around 65k this year, so I'm 10k short of Platinum. Planning 2014 trips to Asia (multiple cities - departing from NYC), Europe and others with all Int'l travel in paid business class.

Is it worth the ~$3k for me to buy up into Platinum or just say, "I'm Gold for the year", and will be Platinum/1K in 2015. Also, does United offer any grace periods for longtime customers who pay for business tickets.\

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:25 pm

The second question is easier
Originally Posted by halpie97
..... Also, does United offer any grace periods for longtime customers who pay for business tickets. ...
No, no soft landings, no additional special consideration for business class flyers beyound what you already got, a 50% PQM bonus for paid business -- so you are likely well below the BIS {butt in seat miles} needed for Gold if you had been in economy.
Is it worth the ~$3k for me to buy up into Platinum or just say, "I'm Gold for the year", and will be Platinum/1K in 2015. ...
this is a harder question, so best to refer you to
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
In general if you always fly paid premium cabin the benefits of status is less than that for an economy flyer since paid premium cabin includes many elite benefits.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Business traveler who was 1k in 2012, Platinum in 2013. I've only flown around 65k this year, so I'm 10k short of Platinum. Planning 2014 trips to Asia (multiple cities - departing from NYC), Europe and others with all Int'l travel in paid business class.

Is it worth the ~$3k for me to buy up into Platinum or just say, "I'm Gold for the year", and will be Platinum/1K in 2015. Also, does United offer any grace periods for longtime customers who pay for business tickets.\

Thanks in advance for the help.
Platinum not worth 3k for international travel, IMHO. You don't get GPUs (International upgrades) so you have to use miles/cash to upgrade as either GOLD or PLAT. You'll be in Biz anyway, the guaranteed way!!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
Check 2013 MP Statements

I found a segment of a partner flight (SN) from June that did not credit mileage and it should have. Previous online submissions did not work. I wrote an email to MP and got a favorable reply - the 3k miles put me at 101,211. My first 1K status! My advice: check your MP statements to make sure all qualifying flights are included. Do a manual follow-up (maybe more than once) to request credit. I have several International trips scheduled in 2014 - looking forward to trying the GPU.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly2africa
I found a segment of a partner flight (SN) from June that did not credit mileage and it should have. Previous online submissions did not work. I wrote an email to MP and got a favorable reply - the 3k miles put me at 101,211. My first 1K status! My advice: check your MP statements to make sure all qualifying flights are included. Do a manual follow-up (maybe more than once) to request credit. I have several International trips scheduled in 2014 - looking forward to trying the GPU.
I imagine many of us already have spreadsheets detailing every aspect/mile/RDM/cpm/etc. I know I do.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
I'm going to be less than 5k or 6 segments short of Silver for 2014.

What's the rough minimum cost going to be out of DCA / IAD / BWI? Should I focus on trying to get 6 segments or the 4.7k.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:59 pm

Quick question. Mr Fish is currently exactly 75 EQMs short of 1K for the year, including one more scheduled flight home tomorrow MSP-EWR. He has the option to change his flight to MSP-ORD-EWR, resulting in an additional (and lousy) 40 EQMs, still leaving him 35 EQMs short. When I try the mileage calculator, it says he will earn the exact EQMs of the MSP-ORD segment, and not a 500 EQM minimum. Has this minimum disappeared and is it no longer valid? I hate to schedule him on a 30 mile mileage run, and his only offers for purchasing are 6000 miles minimum.

Robin

Last edited by Fishbait; Dec 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.