Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I am low ...... UA Premier Exec member with 45k EQMs this year. I plan to fly FAT-HKG one more time plus FAT-BDL in December which should get me to about 66kEQM. This will qualify me for Premier Exec again next year but I am eyeballing the 75k status for next year.
Does anybody have any tricks of the trade they would like to share with a newbie?
I fly FAT/SFO/LAX-PEK/HKG 4-5x per year. Plus 1-2 FAT-BDL per year.
Thanks so much.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Have you checked out the Mileage Run Deals forum?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Also check out farecompare.com/flyertalk

They've got some pretty decent fares right now.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
If you can spare a couple of days for a mileage run or two, scoring an additional 9K miles before the end of the year shouldn't be too challenging. UA has been offering some good deals to FLL and BOS, for example. Check the Mileage Run forums for the low-down.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Spending $40k on a Presidential Plus card would get you the required FEQM
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:39 pm

Ways to keep Gold status?

Due to a layoff and new job in a different industry, I've gone from Platinum last year to Gold this year and on track to Silver for 2012. Blech!

I haven't been on these forums like I used to, and forgive me, but my FF knowledge has really lapsed as of late. So forgive the really basic question (searched the forums and couldn't quite find the answer).

I'll be at 29,600 Elite miles/28 segments after this weekend. I will likely be doing much more travel (both biz and personal) in 2012 and would love to keep my Gold status somehow. Short of doing a Hong Kong trip or two (which I probably couldn't affordbut totally open to mileage runs before 12/31), are there any options for keeping Gold status for, say under $1,000? It doesn't look like the CO or UA Chase credit cards would help, would they? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paul19
Due to a layoff and new job in a different industry, I've gone from Platinum last year to Gold this year and on track to Silver for 2012. Blech!

I haven't been on these forums like I used to, and forgive me, but my FF knowledge has really lapsed as of late. So forgive the really basic question (searched the forums and couldn't quite find the answer).

I'll be at 29,600 Elite miles/28 segments after this weekend. I will likely be doing much more travel (both biz and personal) in 2012 and would love to keep my Gold status somehow. Short of doing a Hong Kong trip or two (which I probably couldn't affordbut totally open to mileage runs before 12/31), are there any options for keeping Gold status for, say under $1,000? It doesn't look like the CO or UA Chase credit cards would help, would they? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Best bet is two TATL mileage runs prior to year end. Or three transcons and the rest on Elite Maximizer.

Don't knock HKG though- pretty sure there was a deal in the Mileage Runs forum under $1K that would get you the miles you need.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
That's a lot of flying just to get Gold. It's possible that UA might provide you with some incentive plan early next year to allow you to reach Gold by flying a specific number of segments/miles, possibly with a co-pay or fare class restriction. There is a big difference in benefits between Gold and Silver with the new tiers, but shelling out a couple thousand dollars to get there doesn't seem worth it. My 2c.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier
Unhappy Sigh... 647 miles short.

Same old story. As of right now, I'm 2,087 miles short for Premier Silver in 2012. A roundtrip from ORD > ALB will leave me with a deficit of 647.

I'm not a business traveler; all my miles flown are leisure and paid for by me. I've gotten pretty used to having some form of elite status for the past couple of years (started with American, then did a match to move over to United.) As a mid-30s upper-lower-middle-class guy just trying to see the world, the perks are a nice touch.

I don't have a United credit card that yields EQMs. And a mileage run is problematic as it not only costs money (funds are tight; headed to Argentina for the holidays... on American... using miles), but also eats a vacation day and simply isn't always practical.

I'm not naive. I've got no hopes for United being nice and letting me pass with the deficit. This whole "buy-up" thing I've heard of though (I could be using the wrong term) sounds appealing as I can simply pay X for the EQMs (about the same as the cheapest quick-turn flight I've seen of the necessary minimal length) and be done with it.

Aside from a mileage run and the buy-up, what other options do I have? Can I "enhance" my flight to Albany?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. And sorry for the surely redundant post. :-)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:23 pm

Need 4000 EQM to reach 1K - OnePass or MP

I have already linked my Mileage Plus and One Pass Accounts (MP is my primary account). As it stands, I need 4,000 miles to reach 1K Status.

With a couple of trips coming up before year end I wanted to know if I could buy the itin. on CO and purchase the OnePass Elite Maximizer. So far I have bought most of my trips on UA with links to my Mileage Plus. Will they use the few OnePass EQMs I earn this way towards status qualifications next year?

Or is it safer to simply do a mileage run and reach the target on UA MP itself?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyer0001
.....Will they use the few OnePass EQMs I earn this way towards status qualifications next year? ...
yes
some references for your situation
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ms-status.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...1-what-do.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...izer-rate.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:58 am

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
Yikes - 43 EQM's short! Will Co.com purchases earn EQM's on Chase United Plat Visa?

I have the legacy Chase Platinum Visa which earns EQM's for purchases on United.com. Can anyone confirm whether purchases on Continental.com will now earn EQM's as well? It looks like I'll be 43 miles short to hit 1P, so I need a recent flight purchase from Continental.com to register EQM's...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Don't think so - I faced the same issue and booked a CO metal / UA codeshare on ua.com.

Search "elite maximizer" and you'll find a relatively inexpensive way to close the gap.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
like the previous poster said, do a search and follow the instructions. You can get 500 eqm for about $55. Price could have changed due to the time of the year.

Points will post in about two days. Just to recap: link a co account with your ua account. Match status. Buy any fully refundable fare on CO, something with less than 500 miles. Use the elite maximizer to buy the extra 500 eqm. You have to fist click through the RDM offer to get to the elite maximizer. Once you have bought the eqm, refund the original flight.

Billy
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:21 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Just made it

Just made my 100K. I flew on a B ticket to Bahrain and forgot I would get another 50% EQM..

However have 1,990,000 lifetime miles. So I still need to do another 10K to get 2MM by end of year. Likely will do a mileage run -- if I can't find an excuse for a biz trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.