Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
For only 119 EQMs, I would look at just buying them on UA.com. Probably going to be cheaper then a flight change and you don't have to put up with a 7.5 hour trip instead of 2 hours.

For me, it would be worth it to get the bump to gold.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Buy a short flight on UA, do the award accelerator, then cancel flight since free within 24 hrs.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
For only 119 EQMs, I would look at just buying them on UA.com. ....
for a present elite, many have reported the minimal purchasable PQMs to be 1,500 miles (sub-500 mile OW) -- which will run $300 to $600 based on present reports for elites just short of thresholds. So the actual flight may be cheaper (typical is). The travel time will be the tradeoff.

Suggest calling MPSC and just check if you might be close enough -- no one knows what the grace range might be. And it may depend on other factors. Unless you get a surprize, the only way to make sure is purchase or fly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Only OP knows the answer as to value ($300-600 for Accelerator). Short hops and no checked luggage might mean that he doesn't care about UG's or the risk that he might not get E+ and included bags only matter to those who check.

Take a look at the perks for Silver & Gold and make a determination against the $ cost. No other way to do it.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA Gold status brings a few key perks — free same-day confirmed changes & lounge access when flying internationally — that may be worth the $250 price differential to rebook yourself on a $250 more expensive US Airways-operated torture trip.

If I were you I would go for it, enjoy the long layover in DCA/CLT/PHL as something you may not see as often after US leaves the Star Alliance, and have a good Christmas. Only you can make the call, though. Normal people will try to minimize their time in airports vs. maximizing status perks .
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
..... Normal people ....
Hmmm, doesn't that counts out most of FT participants.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I decided against it. It's very frustrating to be so close. It is entirely my fault because I miscalculated my last trip and could have taken a different routing to make it. My main motivation to get gold was the possibility of getting more upgrades (I actually do decent for a silver since I'm not at a hub), the Marriott match-challenge to gold, and having star gold which gets me into the better security line at my home airport (which is basically a moot point with US Air leaving). After reflection, it just isn't worth it.

I'm kicking myself because I dropped getting Delta silver in order to try for United gold and now with US Air leaving * alliance, I will likely need to fly Delta more for east coast trips. Sometimes it just doesn't work out as planned.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'd strongly recommend you consider looking into accelerator.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by metermaid33
Thanks everyone. I decided against it. It's very frustrating to be so close.
Have you taken any trips this year which were originally on United which were cancelled or delayed, causing you to be rebooked onto a different set of flights with a shorter routing? If you have even one trip where "original routing credit" might bring you above the 50k threshold it's worth following up.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Makes zero difference, since you'll cancel within 24 hours anyway.
Thanks. I got the accelerator 1500 PQM for 290. Damn expensive but oh well.
Do I have to wait sometime or can I cancel my flight immediately?

Thanks,
nightan
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by nightan
.... Do I have to wait sometime or can I cancel my flight immediately? ....
immediately after purchasing PQMs is fine.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:41 pm

My friend needs 200 miles till the next Elite status

So my friends is at the awkward moment with 49,800 miles in his account, so 200 miles shy from the gold elite status. What's the most economical way for him to get the extra 200 miles? And is there really that much a difference b/t platinum and gold elite?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
The cheapest way would be to try and do a really small mileage run and take advantage of the minimum 500 PQM rule. Alternately, he/ she can buy the miles through Premier Accelerator by making a dummy reservation, but this will be very expensive (far more cheaper to do a quick mileage run).

in addition to higher priority on upgrades, eco+ seating for 8 companions (as compared to 2 for gold), 2 regional upgrades and payment for Global Entry, some fee waivers definitely help
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
The cheapest way would be to try and do a really small mileage run and take advantage of the minimum 500 PQM rule. Alternately, he/ she can buy the miles through Premier Accelerator by making a dummy reservation, but this will be very expensive (far more cheaper to do a quick mileage run).

in addition to higher priority on upgrades, eco+ seating for 8 companions (as compared to 2 for gold), 2 regional upgrades and payment for Global Entry, some fee waivers definitely help
The 50k miles would put them at gold not plat. Still a world of difference over silver.

Quick mileage run, use flex miles if he has them, or pay for the acellerator.

There is a big thread around here somewhere outlining all of these. I'm on my mobile or I would find it for you.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:40 pm

Smile Any recommend flight for PQM 47415 Silver member?

I am at 47415 PQM today; based in Bay Area... Any recommend route for me to be at 50K PQM; economical flight recommendation would much appreciate it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.