Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
You've got to be kidding?
No.
Have you looked at UA's on-time arrival statistics anytime in the last 5 months?
PQM for status has nothing to do with arrival time.
It is definitely worth worrying about.
Fine. Worry all you want. I won't. Hakuna Matata!
In fact, since $mi$ek took over, I don't do anything without an iron-clad contingency plan.
Then get your qualifying flight well before Dec 31 if you're that worried.
Expecting this airline to get you to your destination at the promised time is naive to the extreme.
Again, destination arrival is irrelevant to status. Scheduled (not actual) departure time is what is considered.

The only case in which the automated system won't give you miles in 2012 is if a flight is cancelled and you are rescheduled for the next day. And in that case I have complete confidence would bet $1000 to $1 that UA customer service would honor the intent of a scheduled flight flown late due to UA cancellation and credit appropriate status for the previous year. To assume otherwise is such a ludicrous proposition that I would need to actually see an example of it to believe it even possible.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver
How would YOU make 5,249 United miles?

I need 'em by Jan. 1 to make Gold. Several int'l trips early in year make it seem worth it to me. Home airport: CLE. How feasible is a weekend MR in a holiday month? New to this...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
Any creative routing to get about 7966 miles? I can fly out of the DC airports (BWI, DCA and IAD). I'd do the cheap JFK-HNL available early next week, but can't start any trip until the 17th of this month.

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:48 am

The Answer

Originally Posted by meadorbd
Is it possible add mileage accelerator points on a single segment rather than an entire trip?

After my last two trips of the year, it looks like I 'm going to be 650 miles short from making silver premier status. I started traveling late in the year with the new job and expect to travel a good bit next year. It seems like it's probably worth a little extra effort to make status. (?)

My last two trips are both cross country; purchasing premier points for either trip is overkill and costs $500+ (FYI - offer is .031 + .105 = .135 CPM). One of my legs is 678 miles and would be perfect. Does anyone know if this option is available at check in, or does it apply to the entire ticket only?

If not, based on research, it looks like my options are:

1. Purchase a short flight, add accelerator miles, cancel flight within 24 hours.
2. Fly a quick mileage run before the end of the year (FWIW, I'm out of SFO). Time is very short between now and the end of the year, so this feels unlikely.
3. Throw myself on the mercy of a CSR and see if they will bump me even though I'm short. (Unlikely/unknown whether that's even a possibility with the newly merged program).
4. Bite the bullet and pay the $500.

Thoughts/Advice? Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
FYI - the answer was that you can purchase accelerator miles at the check-in kiosk for a single leg. $158 for 678 premier qualifying miles.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
49,692 - UGH - so stupid!

Year to Date Premier Miles: 49,692

All those times I could have chosen a different routing and picked up a few hundred extra miles.

Now I just have to find the least expensive flight -- anyone else admit to being this stupid?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Year to Date Premier Miles: 49,692

All those times I could have chosen a different routing and picked up a few hundred extra miles.

Now I just have to find the least expensive flight -- anyone else admit to being this stupid?
I'm at 99,266 myself.. got a SEA-SFO-SEA weekend in a couple weeks that I hadn't planned on doing, but it'll be fun.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by newlywedJ
How would YOU make 5,249 United miles?

I need 'em by Jan. 1 to make Gold. Several int'l trips early in year make it seem worth it to me. Home airport: CLE. How feasible is a weekend MR in a holiday month? New to this...
CLE-PHL-SEA-CLT-CLE on USAir on Sunday Dec 9 (return morning of Mon 10) for $580 = 5433 miles. Unfortunately prices are pretty high this late in the year...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I'm at 99,266 myself.. got a SEA-SFO-SEA weekend in a couple weeks that I hadn't planned on doing, but it'll be fun.
I'm at 99,946! I just converted 10K choice miles into 1,000 PQMs.
That will put me over the top.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
CLE-PHL-SEA-CLT-CLE on USAir on Sunday Dec 9 (return morning of Mon 10) for $580 = 5433 miles. Unfortunately prices are pretty high this late in the year...
Thanks Aqua. Will check it. My family is going to think I'm nuts!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Any creative routing to get about 7966 miles? I can fly out of the DC airports (BWI, DCA and IAD). I'd do the cheap JFK-HNL available early next week, but can't start any trip until the 17th of this month.
In order to get nearly 8K on one trip for ~$1K, HNL is pretty much the only game in town.

Lots of options if you want to split into two MRs, though, for example:
DCA-ORD-DEN-OMA-DCA on Dec 17 for $377 (3012 miles) and then
IAD-CLT-PHX-TUS-SFO-IAD on Dec 18 for $377 (5374 miles)

Total $754 for 8386 miles.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Smile Need 7000 miles to reach Platinum

Need to find a route that will get me 6500-7000 miles from PDX to... ?

My window of time is 12-26 to 12-28.

Thanks.

Mikey Mo.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:26 pm

8000 to reach platinum (SFO-based)

Hi. First time trying this out. Not sure if it's totally worth it, so would love advice on both
1) is the value sufficient?
2) what's the best way to get it?

thanks very much!
Jeremy
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jeremy Toeman
for the first Q -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

for the second, it is either MR or purchased PQMs. For 8K miles are this point, MR is likely something $700-$900 unless you hit a bargain and purchase PQMs may be as much as 2X that.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jeremy Toeman
1) For value, consider what benefits you'll gain from Plat vs. Gold. What price are those worth? You'll probably have to pay at least $640+ in airfare, plus airport parking, possible hotels, and time away from doing things you enjoy more. For smaller values, maybe. For 8K? Only you can say.
2) To fly it you're looking at two transcons ($320 to EWR) although that's overkill, you could do one transcon and one midcon if the price was right. Longest sub-$800 flight from SFO I saw was SJU, and that still didn't quite make it, but maybe could with creative routing.

Do you have a MP credit card? That could get you up to 5K in choices miles. Or you could mix/match a flight and buying PQM with the accellerator.

In all cases you're still looking at $640+ for... 25% more RDM, higher upgrade priority, reduced close in award fees, no same day change fees, and 2 RPUs.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
saw that thread, honestly it's such a convoluted thread it just wasn't helpful, figured someone who'd be able to make a good MR recommendation would be able to assess as well. sorry if it appeared i hadn't researched.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
for the second, it is either MR or purchased PQMs. For 8K miles are this point, MR is likely something $700-$900 unless you hit a bargain and purchase PQMs may be as much as 2X that.
thanks. if i may ask - in your opinion is $900 (pessimistic) worth it for platinum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.