Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
you don't need to book refundable, you just need to cancel within 24h of ticketing (which is when you can buy the miles as well - and those post instantly pretty much)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TommyB1965
I may need to get an additional 5K PQMs to retain my 1K this year. I believe one trick is to purchase a refundable flight, purchase PQMs and then cancel the trip. ...
of just cancel well before the normal 24 hour post-ticketing window

... If I purchase a short return trip (Newark-Washington for example), will I be offered smaller amounts of PQMs? ....
yes

... What cost would I expect (15cpm?) ...
about the same as you have seen for the longer itins.

... Which trips would give me the option of 5K PQMs?
try trips of 1..5K to 2K in total length (OW or RT)

... (is any fare refundable if I cancel within 24 hours?)
yes
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Around 43,000 to go for 1k Booked for IAD-HNL, IAD-TLv, and IAD LAX BAH which should get me over the top.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I'll be short 17,000 PQMs after my trip to Thailand mid-November. Bad timing. Do I really want to do SFO-SEA-NRT-BKK (& return) and then something darned similar... again? Last year it was SFO-SEA-NRT-SIN (& return via LAX). Which wasn't too bad since there was not one 747 involved. Almost impossible to avoid a 747 (in Y) this time.

So just not sure yet if I'm going to end up Plat or Gold. Plat is so nice in terms of benefits compared to Gold...
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Has anyone had recent luck getting MP to spot you the next level when you a) are very close and b) _do_ have more than enough miles booked to qualify for that level? I'm at just over 99k right now with one tcon coming up in a week (and a couple more trips planned). Not expecting that they will do it, but I'm going to call them this week and ask anyway. Just wondering if they've been nice lately.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
question about getting to premier silver

between making a move across the country (and flying back and forth a lot to take care of stuff), and working 4 states away over the summer and flying for that too, this is the first year i'm even going to be remotely close, so i want to make sure i don't miss it...so please bear with me on this.

i've got another cross-country flight next weekend through the following weekend (PHL-IAH-LAX, LAX-IAH-PHL). by my calculations, at the end of the round trip in two weeks, i will have 24,479 PQMs.

i might have to make another trip to CA before the end of the year, but i'm not 100% sure. this round-trip coming up may be my last flight this year...if so, i'm going to be (as you can see) a little short...right?

do i have any options on making up the extra 500 or so miles on this trip? i know i can buy the premier accelerator, but do i have other options? for example, can i upgrade to first class on one or more of the legs of this flight and end up with additional miles that way?

any help would be greatly appreciated...like i said, this is the first time i've ever travelled this much and gotten this close to premier, so i want to make sure i don't get that close and then not get over the hump.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: United MP
question about getting to premier silver

Doing a "Mileage Run" might be your best bet.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:57 pm

i'd rather not do a mileage run...if i'm going to do that, i'd rather just buy the premier accelerator.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Since you are so close, I would consider switching your routing. It would make for a longer travel day, but an additional stopover in SFO or ORD on either side should put you over the top.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:24 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by rychosis
Since you are so close, I would consider switching your routing. It would make for a longer travel day, but an additional stopover in SFO or ORD on either of your legs should put you over the top.
+1

If you can find a same day change ($75 fee - united rules here) to go through SFO on the way to/from LAX to/from IAH, you should earn 500+ miles. If you go PHL-DEN-IAH, that's an extra 1000 miles.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by nookanaya
Has anyone had recent luck getting MP to spot you the next level when you a) are very close and b) _do_ have more than enough miles booked to qualify for that level? I'm at just over 99k right now with one tcon coming up in a week (and a couple more trips planned). Not expecting that they will do it, but I'm going to call them this week and ask anyway. Just wondering if they've been nice lately.
Are you asking whether they will upgrade you to 1k status for CPU on next weeks flights? It never hurts to ask, but I suspect that there is a hearty 'no' in your future.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by sb3
+1

If you can find a same day change ($75 fee - united rules here) to go through SFO on the way to/from LAX to/from IAH, you should earn 500+ miles. If you go PHL-DEN-IAH, that's an extra 1000 miles.
since my last post was apparently deleted when this got moved, i'm gonna try to recap it...

how do i do a same-day flight change? never had to do one before, but i'm open to it if it will bump me over the top. it looks like if i go LAX-SFO-IAH-PHL on the way home, i should end up with 25,072 miles. cutting it close, but good enough...

when i do a search for that right now on united.com, it says i can change the flight right now for $4 + $200 change fee per person, so i guess there are seats open?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by crackers8199
since my last post was apparently deleted when this got moved, i'm gonna try to recap it...

how do i do a same-day flight change? never had to do one before, but i'm open to it if it will bump me over the top. it looks like if i go LAX-SFO-IAH-PHL on the way home, i should end up with 25,072 miles. cutting it close, but good enough...

when i do a search for that right now on united.com, it says i can change the flight right now for $4 + $200 change fee per person, so i guess there are seats open?
Yes. You MIGHT, and note that it is a small chance, be able to change it for free the day within 24 hours of the flight if your current flight is overbooked, and the openings remain, but I suspect that it would be a sucker bet. Stranger things have happened. If you want silver that badly, 204.00 aint a terrible price to pay
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wildbill412007
Yes. You MIGHT, and note that it is a small chance, be able to change it for free the day within 24 hours of the flight if your current flight is overbooked, and the openings remain, but I suspect that it would be a sucker bet. Stranger things have happened. If you want silver that badly, 204.00 aint a terrible price to pay
It is a horrible price versus the award accelerator.

OP - I would wait until T-24 - then you can do a same-day change. SDC can't be done now - hence the pricing you're getting.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by wildbill412007
Are you asking whether they will upgrade you to 1k status for CPU on next weeks flights? It never hurts to ask, but I suspect that there is a hearty 'no' in your future.
I am, but w.r.t. the return flights. I'll already have flown enough for 1k, but I'll also be well inside t-24 for the return before the miles from the outbound flights hit my account. The Philippines already said no. I might try again in a couple days at a different time of day. But yeah, not expecting much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.