Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
try
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html (most recent postings)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...old-worth.html
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lapo1234
My travel for the year is planned and at the end of the year I will be 820 miles short of gold. My primary airport is EWR. What is the best way to get the 820 miles? Do you feel it is worth it to move from silver to gold?

Thank you
It seems to me that the quickest, easiest way to do this is to book the absolute cheapest, shortest, same-day turnaround, roundtrip ticket you can find. You're Silver, so you're getting at least 500 PQM/segment. That means that *any* trip, no matter how short will get you over the line.

Maximizer/accelerator rates have already started their year-end climb into the ionosphere - that's probably not a real good deal right now.

Gold (for now) lets you book E+ at time of reservation. It also gets you a (modest) RDM bonus. It's worth a cheap day trip.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by sogboulder
It seems to me that the quickest, easiest way to do this is to book the absolute cheapest, shortest, same-day turnaround, roundtrip ticket you can find. You're Silver, so you're getting at least 500 PQM/segment. That means that *any* trip, no matter how short will get you over the line.
Any trip suggestions? Home airport is EWR?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lapo1234
Any trip suggestions? Home airport is EWR?
Won't they send out the Monday sale email tomorrow? You can probably fly from EWR to Charlotte or something for like $240.

I would say it's worth it to get Gold for 2014 as you'll also get *A Gold (not sure how much international/lounge/etc stuff).
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Won't they send out the Monday sale email tomorrow? You can probably fly from EWR to Charlotte or something for like $240.

I would say it's worth it to get Gold for 2014 as you'll also get *A Gold (not sure how much international/lounge/etc stuff).
For $244 I can fly to PDX. Not a good deal.

Suggest the OP scour MR forums and the Flight Deal newsletter.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:29 pm

Ya but he is only needing 824 miles instead of finding the longest/most obscure MR for X.X cmp he could find something for a couple hundred bucks and fly out in the morning and be back the same afternoon on 2 90 minute flights instead of bouncing here there and everywhere for a few hours at a time.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Ya but he is only needing 824 miles instead of finding the longest/most obscure MR for X.X cmp he could find something for a couple hundred bucks and fly out in the morning and be back the same afternoon on 2 90 minute flights instead of bouncing here there and everywhere for a few hours at a time.
A fair point. But getting 1250 RDMs versus 6250 RDMs for the same price? And maybe spending a day in PDX versus a layover in CLT?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
A fair point. But getting 1250 RDMs versus 6250 RDMs for the same price? And maybe spending a day in PDX versus a layover in CLT?
Again, I understand getting more RDMs but if the time plays a factor in it maybe he's just looking a quick way to bump to gold...which I'm assuming since he's only just barely eeking by from silver 5k miles to redeem may not be that much in his pot.

I was sort of in the same boat myself on the cusp of going from Plat to 1K this year where I was thinking about doing just the quickest time MR to get me over and not worried about the total max benefit to stretch the CPMs. Then I ended up putting in a last minute surprise birthday party trip to SDQ which with that and a $700 maximizer will make me 1K for 2014.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:50 pm

urgent: how to get united silver in < 2 months

I have accumulated 14k premier qualifying miles on united this year. we have only 2 more months in this year and the max i can fly is may be 7-8k more. Do you guys have any idea on how can i (if possible) reach premier silver for united.
any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: United 1K
I don't personally find silver worth fighting for, but sticking to the topic at hand:

1. Purchase PQMs through the accelerator when you do fly

2. Fly one more flight for a mileage run, though finding cheap flights around holidays is rough.

3. Upgrade the existing flights to a fare class with 150% EQM bonus.

If you really want to do this, #2 would be cheapest, followed by #1, then #3, most likely.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Agree on the comment concerning reaching for Silver -- Silver like benefits can be purchased or achieved by getting a credit card.

but to address your request, see more recent posts of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG G, UA *G,
Need 17K miles to reach 1K

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I posted on the wrong thread.
I have one more trip left this year: LAX-TPE which will probably give me additional 12K miles. I'll be short though of 5K to reach 1K. Need your expertise on what would be the best option besides paying for the accelerator? thanks
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A mileage run to BOS, ZFV, BWI, etc.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer0001
I have already linked my Mileage Plus and One Pass Accounts (MP is my primary account). As it stands, I need 4,000 miles to reach 1K Status.

With a couple of trips coming up before year end I wanted to know if I could buy the itin. on CO and purchase the OnePass Elite Maximizer. So far I have bought most of my trips on UA with links to my Mileage Plus. Will they use the few OnePass EQMs I earn this way towards status qualifications next year?

Or is it safer to simply do a mileage run and reach the target on UA MP itself?
I was in the same situation, so I bought the maximer on my last flight. It cost nearly $2k. But I fly SFO/BKK in Business several times a year. If I upgrade to First with miles + money I pay $600 +30k miles each time. Getting to 1k gets me 6 upgrades which is the equivalent of $3,600 + 180k miles so I figure I'm way ahead.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I had every intention of using the accelerator for my last 12k for 1K renewal...but I waited just that tiny bit too long and it went from $1300 to $2400

So instead of flying PER-MEL direct next week, I'm now flying PER-SIN-NRT-SIN-MEL on SQ for those last elusive miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.