Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm currently booked to 142K miles. I could definitely use the two additional GPUs and RPUs that would come at 150K. Award Accelerator is pricing out for me right now at 16 cpm, or $1304 for 8000 miles. I'm also farelocked into an $1100 Y/Z fare SFO-SJU that would give me 11,000 EQM, with 2/4 legs in lie-flats.

But I can't decide if it's really worth it. Squeezing in the extra flight would be tough, December's already going to be a 20,000 mile month, following 17,500 in November. But more than anything, I just hate the idea of coming up only 8,000 miles short. Like I'm leaving money on the table.

So who would spend $1100 for 2 GPUs, 2 RPUs, and 20,000 RDM's?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
I would if I would use them. I'm not sure I'll be able to use my 6+4 as it is
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:07 am

Easy to get 6k miles between now and Dec 31st w/o Mileage Runs?

Hi all,

I have Premiere Silver currently, sitting 6k miles away from Premiere Gold. I don't travel at all for business, so a mileage run to secure Premiere Gold doesn't seem worth it; I only take United or its partners when I travel on multi-country itineraries for vacations 4-5 times a year. Would doing something like one of the United credit card deals push me over into Premiere Gold (I have the 50k miles offer in the mail), or would that not give me PQM?

Semi-related question... when I fly abroad it's generally from WAS through Heathrow, Delhi, or Narita... are those flights likely to be jam-packed full enough with regular business travelers that I'd be unlikely to secure a free upgrade with either Silver or Gold?

Thanks!

(Although I'm very uneducated on miles/points, I do have quite a lot of experience with travel-hacking to lower international base airfare, and I cover a pretty wide range of the globe hitting 12-15 countries a year... feel free to PM me if you have any relevant questions I might be able to help out with!)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Correct, the credit cards available today will not give PQM and will not help you towards gold status this year (next year they might help with a PQD waiver). And there are no complimentary upgrades on international flights to the cities you listed. So no it sounds like a MR to gold is probably not worth it for your travel patterns. If you were hoping for lounge access with gold you can probably buy a few passes on ebay for less than it would cost to to a MR anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Televangelist
Hi all,

I have Premiere Silver currently, sitting 6k miles away from Premiere Gold. I don't travel at all for business, so a mileage run to secure Premiere Gold doesn't seem worth it; I only take United or its partners when I travel on multi-country itineraries for vacations 4-5 times a year. Would doing something like one of the United credit card deals push me over into Premiere Gold (I have the 50k miles offer in the mail), or would that not give me PQM?

Semi-related question... when I fly abroad it's generally from WAS through Heathrow, Delhi, or Narita... are those flights likely to be jam-packed full enough with regular business travelers that I'd be unlikely to secure a free upgrade with either Silver or Gold?

Thanks!

(Although I'm very uneducated on miles/points, I do have quite a lot of experience with travel-hacking to lower international base airfare, and I cover a pretty wide range of the globe hitting 12-15 countries a year... feel free to PM me if you have any relevant questions I might be able to help out with!)
Actually, Star Gold is much more valuable for international travel than domestic. There's the E+ seating, the lounge access, the extra baggage allowance, and priority check-in, boarding, and waitlisting. As nookanaya states though, you're not going to get free international upgrades. Not even GS get those.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: United Platinum
1,000 miles shy of keeping platinum elite

and currently there is no plan for a trip before the end of the year. Suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I am sitting pretty at 83,000 miles right now. So far I've got trips planned to Barcelona and SFO. I'm based out of ORD so to requalify I'll need to do something creative. I'm thinking of going to SFO via dulles or EWR. I can use RPU to upgrade from EWR to SFO? How many miles is that flight?

thanks
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Televangelist
I have Premiere Silver currently, sitting 6k miles away from Premiere Gold.
Get the 6K to make earn Gold. The bag allowance and E+ at booking are worth it. Plus, as another poster pointed out, you get international lounge access with *G.

Originally Posted by kxinga
and currently there is no plan for a trip before the end of the year. Suggestions?
Use Premier Accelerator to buy the miles.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:55 am

Can you not look it up???

Originally Posted by steveo
I'm thinking of going to SFO via dulles or EWR. I can use RPU to upgrade from EWR to SFO? How many miles is that flight?

thanks
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Need 2k to Qualify for 1K

I have been Premier Gold or Platinum the past 5 years. I do mostly International travel so the Lounge access and extra baggage are great. I am at 98k miles and my travel is done for this year. Is it worth doing a short MR to get the 1K status? Any other way to get the 2k?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:50 pm

Interesting ... didn't realize this would happen even if you book a mileage earning fare on UA (016 ticket stock).

I wouldn't hold my breath ... but any luck in contacting MP?

Originally Posted by Moultrie
I just concluded a long itinerary, booked on UA (SFO-->FRA-->BLR), in K. I booked all on UA site, so assumed that since United K will always earn miles on United, and the eticket said all legs were "united" (though FRA<->BLR was operated by LH), that I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that K *on LH* does not earn miles on UA MP. Whoops
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by fly2africa
I have been Premier Gold or Platinum the past 5 years. I do mostly International travel so the Lounge access and extra baggage are great. I am at 98k miles and my travel is done for this year. Is it worth doing a short MR to get the 1K status? Any other way to get the 2k?
Yes it is worth it. Buy the miles (see this thread) or fly them.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:12 pm

Getting 6 Global Premier Upgrades (for your international travel) & 2 extra Regional Premier Upgrades & an extra 25% bonus mile bump. Yes it's worth it, unless you always fly paid First and Business First everywhere you go and have no-one else to share those GPU and RPU's with.

A simple MR 1/2 across the country should do it. Or fly RT with shorter hops that have one connection each way (given that you get 500 mile minimum per segment).

I'd avoid buying miles considering how close you are (unless you really don't want to fly). Fees are high and none of that counts towards lifetime BIS miles.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jigen666; Nov 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
2k short of 1K? Gotta do it!

You gotta fly. Sorry, that's just what you have do. Otherwise you make the rest of us, some of whom have done rather heroic efforts to make up gaps 10x that, rather foolings.

Seriously, those GPUs could come in handy; there are some routings where a W fare (I think that's the lowest for GPUs?) aren't much more expensive than the lowest fare. If space is available, it's a low-cost upgrade.

But, as someone else mentioned, maybe you only fly in biz or first? If in biz, they'll upgrade you to first. If the GPUs still aren't valuable to you, you likely have friends who could use them; a GPU works on any UA-operated flight (where space is available), including domestic. And, as a 1K, your upgrades are more valuable than those of a Platinum (higher on the food chain so more likely to clear).

Unless you're planning to change airlines, it's really tough to come up with a rationale that would pass up the opportunity for 1K by 2000 miles. But that's typical FT speak. And it comes from someone who did an SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL-GUM-HNL-LAX-SJC mileage run, no overnights, to maintain Plat status. So consider the source. Definitely a defect in my gene pool.

Personal update: Miles from ANA & TG flights this past week just posted. I almost wish they'd taken longer to post, 'cuz there are now two ways to look at things. Either I'm greatly relieved to now be at 76,265 PQM and safely Plat (again), or, I'm 23,735 miles from 1K. One day ago I never wanted to set foot on a plane again. But today? Must stop the madness! Time to get off the plane!

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm Reason: new info
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Am I missing anything with this Strategy?

I expect to be about 30K miles short for an international First Class award via United's Mileage Plus. I have no status on United and do not expect to fly the *Alliance nor stay at any hotels before I need the miles (~15 Jan).
So I'm thinking...rather than buying the miles @ $37.50 per 1000 why not use RocketMiles and get 10,000 miles with a $209 (++??) hotel stay that I found? I'd come out about $130 ahead and get a night at a nice hotel.
Am I missing anything?
I already have as many credit cards as Chase will provide me!! And I have the SPG card for 5K United miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.