Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I'm at 73,800 PQM and our Thanksgiving trip that would have put me over 75K was canceled due to family illness.

Is there any precedent for being bumped up to Platinum anyway? December is busy (i.e., MR is inconvenient) and the accelerator rates I'm seeing are 35cpm (!) for PQMs. I have a relatively high PRASM from a few Intl C trips (somewhere in the 50-55 cpm range). Thoughts? Write to MP and see?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mwc8962
I'm at 73,800 PQM and our Thanksgiving trip that would have put me over 75K was canceled due to family illness.

Is there any precedent for being bumped up to Platinum anyway? December is busy (i.e., MR is inconvenient) and the accelerator rates I'm seeing are 35cpm (!) for PQMs. I have a relatively high PRASM from a few Intl C trips (somewhere in the 50-55 cpm range). Thoughts? Write to MP and see?
You can try and in the past it was pretty iffy but did occansionally occurred.

However, with the new UA, given you have multiple options that you have decided are inconvenient plus UA is being more picky (PQDs) and appearing to want to thin the elite ranks, while you should try, don't be surprised if you hit a brick wall.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA 1K, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fly2africa
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am always in Economy - I work for a nonprofit. But I have discovered to carefully check the Fare Class purchased, when earning Partner miles (I've missed some earlier this year when I was flying L or T and later discovered I earned 0 miles on Brussels Airlines!). Sometimes it is just a little bit more cost. Okay, looking for some time and a place to fly. The 4 x 500 short segments is appealing; hadn't thought of that.
ORD - MKE is pricing out at $164 R/T for the last week of December.

Only one return at the price per day, so you'd have to do it on consecutive days, but worth considering. That would give you 4 x 500 segments.

If you wanted to do it in one trip, ORD - SFO is pricing at $284 R/T on 12/14,15 and 16.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can try and in the past it was pretty iffy but did occansionally occurred.

However, with the new UA, given you have multiple options that you have decided are inconvenient plus UA is being more picky (PQDs) and appearing to want to thin the elite ranks, while you should try, don't be surprised if you hit a brick wall.
Ha! That didn't take long. Boilerplate denial within minutes. This is one time I wouldn't have minded a delay in response. It would've made me feel like they carefully considered my $29K in spend this year.

Thanks for the response.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AADULtArer

A two segment MR with maybe a rental car return might be a cheap option. It doesn't look like you are doing a same day business trip so the cheap fare buckets will be open
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold

Is there any precedent for being bumped up to Platinum anyway?
You've seen their reaction.

FWIW, they bumped me to 1K at 99,997 miles. Maybe 99,998, I forget. But that's the kind of the level of flexibility that they are talking about.

If you're really down 1200 miles, I'd be thinking ORD-DCA as the MR. You could easily do this in half a day: take the 6AM out and be back by 11. There are some dirt cheap fares if you can snag them: $269 in T and L.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
Am 6500 miles short of Platinum

including a couple of trips in December, I still fall short of Platinum by 6500 miles. Am EWR based - rarely get upgrades. Am able to get exit row aisle seats 90% of the time while booking. All as Gold.

Am wondering if it is worth it to spend a weekend and $500+ to get to Platinum. Suggestions?

Last edited by pindi; Nov 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pindi
.. Am wondering if it is worth it to spend a weekend and $500+ to get to Platinum. Suggestions?
no universal answer, but here are nearly 600 opinions -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Ha! That didn't take long. Boilerplate denial within minutes. This is one time I wouldn't have minded a delay in response. It would've made me feel like they carefully considered my $29K in spend this year.

Thanks for the response.
At 40 cpm PRASM they should be.... I think in 2016 you might get a different answer...or actually not even an issue...
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
If you're really down 1200 miles, I'd be thinking ORD-DCA as the MR. You could easily do this in half a day: take the 6AM out and be back by 11. There are some dirt cheap fares if you can snag them: $269 in T and L.
Yes, agree this looks like the best choice. Or with purchase of a short-distance ticket I can get an offer for purchasing 1500 PQMs for ~550 a.i. Time vs. money #firstworldproblems
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like I'm shaping up to be short 369 miles from 1K. Anyone know if elite maximizer works on sub-500 mile increments for 1K's? Anyone know what the current cost per mile is?

If I can just buy them for $100 probably will.

Originally Posted by pindi
including a couple of trips in December, I still fall short of Platinum by 6500 miles. Am EWR based - rarely get upgrades. Am able to get exit row aisle seats 90% of the time while booking. All as Gold.

Am wondering if it is worth it to spend a weekend and $500+ to get to Platinum. Suggestions?
The big benefit for Plat over Gold in my opinion is fee-free award bookings/changes. If you don't plan on redeeming awards next year, that may make the difference.

Keep in mind that Plat will net you an extra 12,500 RDM on 50k of travel next year on the extra 25% bonus, and two RPUs. Whether that's worth $500 and your time to you....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2013 at 5:26 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Smile Need 3400 miles to make 1K - HELP

After my next 2 flights - RT to SFO and IAH from EWR I SHOULD need no more than 3400 miles to hit 1K. As they are charging RIDICULOUS fees to buy the miles now it actually makes the most sense to just pay for a Z or P seat on a short flight to make up the difference. Anyone have any suggestions on any deals that I can run? Much appreciated.

Last edited by TheMan; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:57 am

Short of 1K Qualifying

I am 645 miles short of re-qualifying for 1K

I have no other trips planned for the year

I purchased a refundable ticket from NYC to ORD and then went to buy additional miles with the accelerator to obtain the extra miles

what was offered was 6,000 miles for $2,100 -

That does not seem like it is a worthwhile purchase and I was able to refund the purchase of the ticket - I tried the same with a low cost ($221) round trip from White Plains to ORD and was offered the same accelerator price of $2,100

Any ideas?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
SFO to LAX
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you need to try a shorter flight. try PHL-IAD or something like that. don't cut it too close though, recommend buying at least 2000 miles so that you have some wiggle room in case of MP "accounting errors" not in your favor (which are frequent).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.