Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Looks like I will be 700 miles short of platinum for this year. I'll definitely hit 1K next year. I assume it's worth it to find a way to get 700 miles. What should I do?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: *G
Mkay, I generally lurk, here's where I stand. Based out of LAX. I'll end with 45,138. I'd like to hold Gold. This includes all the EQM from my old-school MileagePlus Visa Signature. I could do maximizer on my last flight of the year for $1400, but not sure it's worth it. I recall in the old days I could cash in 50K miles for 5K EQM, but I don't know if that's still possible. Recommendations? (I'd prefer to avoid mileage run, but I might do it if my only option is a $1400 pricetag.)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by merevaudevillian
Mkay, I generally lurk, here's where I stand. Based out of LAX. I'll end with 45,138. I'd like to hold Gold. This includes all the EQM from my old-school MileagePlus Visa Signature. I could do maximizer on my last flight of the year for $1400, but not sure it's worth it. I recall in the old days I could cash in 50K miles for 5K EQM, but I don't know if that's still possible. Recommendations? (I'd prefer to avoid mileage run, but I might do it if my only option is a $1400 pricetag.)
I see lots of LAX-IAD with a connection for under 400 bucks in Dec (sadly if you only needed 500 less miles the non-stop is under 300.00)

The days of trading RQMs for PQMs are long gone
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
oops wrong thread .. delete please
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Looks like I will be 700 miles short of platinum for this year. I'll definitely hit 1K next year. I assume it's worth it to find a way to get 700 miles. What should I do?
Fly the miles or buy the miles. the options have been regularly discussed. It a matter of preference of money vs time/efforts.

Originally Posted by merevaudevillian
.... I could do maximizer on my last flight of the year for $1400, but not sure it's worth it. ....
a properly constructed dummy booking (see the multiple threads on this) should offer 5K PQM & RDMs for around $650-$800 -- prices will depend on individual.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 7, 2013 at 2:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Fly the miles or buy the miles. the options have been regularly discussed. It a matter of preference of money vs time/efforts.
Having never done the elite maximizer before, how do I go about doing this? I fly international long haul flights. I don't want to have to pay for 6000 additional miles when I only need 700. I don't really want to have to fly the miles, would much rather buy them.

Are there other ways to buy them? This thread really should have a wiki.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by blssdjh
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I posted on the wrong thread.
I have one more trip left this year: LAX-TPE which will probably give me additional 12K miles. I'll be short though of 5K to reach 1K. Need your expertise on what would be the best option besides paying for the accelerator? thanks
LAX-SFO-HNL on flights with the 3 class 772 or 764. The 3 class is a particularly easy CPU with 49 J seats.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Having never done the elite maximizer before, how do I go about doing this? I fly international long haul flights. I don't want to have to pay for 6000 additional miles when I only need 700. I don't really want to have to fly the miles, would much rather buy them. ...
see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html

... This thread really should have a wiki.
All it takes is for someone to start it ...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lapo1234
Any trip suggestions? Home airport is EWR?
Go to https://www.google.com/flights/

Look for flights from EWR (or your home airport). Select dates you can fly, with same date for going and return. Select price below $300 (to start). Select star alliance (or United specifically). select non-stop. See what's available.

I'm looking now and I found a flight to St. Louis, round trip $204, leaving 6:45am and returns by 2:32 pm on 11/19. 1744 miles. Just one example. Play with dates you can do a flight.

Or if you can go to LGA, you can fly to Charlotte, leave 10:05a, return 2:52pm for $197 RT, 1088 miles.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA
Question Need 6k mileages MR to get UA-1K

Hello Everyone,

Now I have 93,970 Premier Miles (EQM) in UA account and I am wondering if I need a MR to get UA-1K status this year.

My base is BOS area and I can fly in the weekend (not for Dec 7-8) or thanksgiving holiday for MR. Can anybody give me the suggest on the route? I only find round way BOS-SEA on Nov 24 will be a fit for ~$250. If you have other options, please let me know. I appreciate.

PS1: Is there any code I can use for this MR?

PS2: If I can fly BOS --> east coast --> CLE to visit a friend, then back to BOS, that will be great. However, it may be not worth for MR.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Last edited by Jimmyfisherman; Nov 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Jimmyfisherman
Hello Everyone,

Now I have 93,970 Premier Miles in UA account and I am wondering if I need a MR to get UA-1K status this year.

My base is BOS area and I can fly in the weekend (not for Dec 7-8) or thanksgiving holiday for MR. Can anybody give me the suggest on the route? I only find round way BOS-SEA on Nov 24 will be a fit for ~$250. If you have other options, please let me know. I appreciate.

PS2: If I can fly BOS --> east coast --> CLE to visit a friend, then back to BOS, that will be great. However, it may be not worth for MR.

vegas is a good place to start. Do a same day change to a longer routing should net you 6000 or more. I have been finding good fares to Reno as well
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello Everyone,

Now I have 93,970 Premier Miles in UA account and I am wondering if I need a MR to get UA-1K status this year.

I am confused by your statement you have X mile in your account. Miles sitting in your account don't equate to status. Or are you saying you have X EQM's showing in your year to date status? If it is EQM's then you might want to do a MR or buy accelerator EQM's to get to 1K. Lots of threads on this. If these are just redeemable miles sitting in your account you can use, a MR probably won't help you.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:52 pm

lots of similar discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html and Mileage Run Deals
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

I don't have an answer for you but if I were in this situation, I'd pull out a route map and try every possible faraway destination from BOS, one by one.

I'd use ITA fare matrix, since it allows you to easily look at multiple options for origin/destination and for date ranges. UA, sort-of, has this too.

Generally, I think your best bet is likely to be a route where UA offers a horrible connection with long layover and/or red-eye and where a competitor offers a comparatively better direct flight. Often, they cut price to compete on price if there is a competitor that offers a better route/schedule.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
vegas is a good place to start. Do a same day change to a longer routing should net you 6000 or more. I have been finding good fares to Reno as well
Mileage to Vegas is less than SEA. Reno looks not worth for MR. How to change a longer routing? I am new for MR...

Originally Posted by Baze
I am confused by your statement you have X mile in your account. Miles sitting in your account don't equate to status. Or are you saying you have X EQM's showing in your year to date status? If it is EQM's then you might want to do a MR or buy accelerator EQM's to get to 1K. Lots of threads on this. If these are just redeemable miles sitting in your account you can use, a MR probably won't help you.
Sorry for the confusion. It is EQM. I need ~6,000 for 1K. How to buy accelerator?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.