Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Am I missing anything with this Strategy?

Sounds like a good plan to me ^.~ just make that hotel stay sooner than later to give yourself some wiggle room, you never know!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
am debating bump to Platinum

am currently at 68 segments. home airport: Colorado Springs. 90% of flights are to west coast via Denver.

have two trips totaling 8 segments scheduled (not booked) to round out year, leaving me at Gold again for next year, 14 segments shy of Platinum.

was 1K 2005-2010ish on 100 segments, but that was always a stretch. Think i was upgraded to first class about 20% of time as gold these past few years. Will I see much difference if i make the Herculean effort to add 14 segments by EOY to reach Platinum?

( i don't post often, so apologies if i nOObed this )
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by vandrei
Get the 6K to make earn Gold. The bag allowance and E+ at booking are worth it. Plus, as another poster pointed out, you get international lounge access with *G.

Use Premier Accelerator to buy the miles.
Economy+ doesn't matter to my wife or I; we're 5'4" and 5'0" respectively, no space issues. Zero use for lounge or an extra bag (generally when we're on a given continent, United will get us there/back but we take budget airlines all through different countries, so we'd be paying fees out the wazoo for extra bags we don't need. We generally take only one checked bag for both of us for a 9 day trip). The only possible value for us would be fancy first-class seats that go horizontal for sleeping, and it sounds like that's not really in the cards. Ah well.

Thanks for the advice, all!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks

Originally Posted by Jigen666
Getting 6 Global Premier Upgrades (for your international travel) & 2 extra Regional Premier Upgrades & an extra 25% bonus mile bump. Yes it's worth it, unless you always fly paid First and Business First everywhere you go and have no-one else to share those GPU and RPU's with.

A simple MR 1/2 across the country should do it. Or fly RT with shorter hops that have one connection each way (given that you get 500 mile minimum per segment).

I'd avoid buying miles considering how close you are (unless you really don't want to fly). Fees are high and none of that counts towards lifetime BIS miles.

Good luck.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am always in Economy - I work for a nonprofit. But I have discovered to carefully check the Fare Class purchased, when earning Partner miles (I've missed some earlier this year when I was flying L or T and later discovered I earned 0 miles on Brussels Airlines!). Sometimes it is just a little bit more cost. Okay, looking for some time and a place to fly. The 4 x 500 short segments is appealing; hadn't thought of that.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 Gold, VX Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by malgudi
Interesting ... didn't realize this would happen even if you book a mileage earning fare on UA (016 ticket stock).

I wouldn't hold my breath ... but any luck in contacting MP?
Yeah..me neither

No word yet from MP. But found a route that's just what I need to get me over (EWR -> SDF is 642 miles, and I actually need 631 not 731), so that oughta do it. But will definitely be more careful about codeshares even if booked on UA.com in the future.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Enginerd
am currently at 68 segments. home airport: Colorado Springs. 90% of flights are to west coast via Denver.

have two trips totaling 8 segments scheduled (not booked) to round out year, leaving me at Gold again for next year, 14 segments shy of Platinum.

was 1K 2005-2010ish on 100 segments, but that was always a stretch. Think i was upgraded to first class about 20% of time as gold these past few years. Will I see much difference if i make the Herculean effort to add 14 segments by EOY to reach Platinum?

You will see an improvement, but you'll still be far behind your 1K results. Not even close. Upgrades are not a good reason to make an heroic effort for Plat. By the way, I have immense respect for the segment warrior. You guys have it toughest of all; the change from 100 to 120 segments was nuts. Even at 100 it was a tough goal.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Enginerd

Platinum is a big jump for several reasons, particularly the award fee waiver, the RPUs, ability to bring 8 companions into E+, and Group 1 boarding. But I'm not sure it's worth 14 more segments in December. You would probably not see a big jump in CPUs, as you would still be behind hordes of GS, 1Ks, and any elite on a Y/B fare.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Need a 3000 Mile MR to keep 1K

So, I am cutting it pretty close and will need 2500 miles to maintain my 1K status on UA. I want to be sure, in case something goes wrong, and am looking for an out and back in one day, planning on traveling on December 26 or 27. I am planning to use American Express Reward Miles so I minimize my out of pocket. Anyone have any thoughts about destinations? I was thinking DEN-BOS or DEN-LGA, or even DEN-MCO would do it.

Your two cents from the forum please?

Thanks,
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Suggest you visit Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread.

You can also buy the PQM via Premier Accelerator: United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013].
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
another option is to purchase the PQMs -- but this late in the year it is pricely
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html

also see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

also see the MR forums and UA weekend specials
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Don't forget to use www.gcmap.com to help you plot routings that get you the PQM you need.

UA may award something different than GCMap, but for rounding purposes it's fine.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dresden
So, I am cutting it pretty close and will need 2500 miles to maintain my 1K status on UA. I want to be sure, in case something goes wrong, and am looking for an out and back in one day, planning on traveling on December 26 or 27. I am planning to use American Express Reward Miles so I minimize my out of pocket...,
Just curious, since I haven't used AMEX in years. Are you using Reward Miles for a free ticket and does that ticket count towards PQMs?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Just curious, since I haven't used AMEX in years. Are you using Reward Miles for a free ticket and does that ticket count towards PQMs?
credit cards that purchase tickets with points as a form of payment are paid tickets, not award tickets.
If the points are converted to MP miles, then they are award tickets.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
credit cards that purchase tickets with points as a form of payment are paid tickets, not award tickets.
If the points are converted to MP miles, then they are award tickets.
Ah!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
thanks Kacee and Mike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.