FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

goaliemn Jan 27, 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 11147608)
Is it true that you can subsitute NEXUS for a Passport at Land/Water crossings? (i.e. not Air?)

you must have your passport with you when using your NEXUS card. They go over that afew times while getting your interview.

maltman1 Jan 27, 2009 9:35 am

Question on application

I do much business in Canada and have thought about getting a NExus card but this bothers me.

"you have been convicted of a serious criminal offence, in any country, for which you have not received a pardon (for U.S. background checks you may be questioned about your full criminal history, including arrests and pardons, which may exclude you from NEXUS)"

I wont get in to detail but I pleaded guilty to a battery charge as a misdemeanor. It was over 10 years ago and I was young dumb and had a bad lawyer. Will this stop me?

I have heard horror stories of some one having a DUI from years past preventing them from getting access into Canada. I don't want to risk applying and then having my passport flagged and not being able to see my customers.

goaliemn Jan 27, 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by maltman1 (Post 11150657)
I wont get in to detail but I pleaded guilty to a battery charge as a misdemeanor. It was over 10 years ago and I was young dumb and had a bad lawyer. Will this stop me?

swing into a nexus office during your next visit and just ask. Don't give them any personal info, but they may be able to at least say yes or no..

LessO2 Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 11147608)
Is it true that you can subsitute NEXUS for a Passport at Land/Water crossings? (i.e. not Air?)

Maybe for declaration purposes you can, but I would have the Passport with you. Not only because it's a good idea, but also they are explicit, as mentioned before, that you must carry both.

I have gone though the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel and regularly get asked for my Passport in the NEXUS lane (this only happened to me on the U.S. side).

pilotboy1985YYC Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm

I applied and got conditional approvel within 1 week.
Although I've been waiting two weeks for my darn husband to fill out his application. He finally did it today.
We're in Halifax and there is interview opens as soon as tomorrow ( 5 slots available). I feel sorry for you guys in Calgary who have to wait till April. That's unreal.

Assuming my husband gets conditionally approved in a week, like myself. We should have our interview by Feb 2/3rd... Our flight to the US leaves Feb 28th. Think that will be enough time to get the card and what not?

Also, what kind of questions will be asked in this interview? Job history, Address history, etc,etc?

My other concern is me and my husband get greif every time we cross into America because we are a legally married same sex couple, and the US border officals don't seem to like that very much. We get a hassle every time, and I hope we don't get declined for a NEXUS based on that alone. One cranky, narrow minded agent could ruin the whole thing for us.

blue2002 Jan 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 11141360)
Has anyone been able to get to the GOES site for the last few days - I'm trying to validate my address information as I haven't received my new card yet...

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/

Site still down. Not good for people approaching the 30 day limit.

spddemn Jan 27, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm in, have my interview on Thurs this week. Looking forward to getting the card.

chalmers Jan 28, 2009 7:10 am

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC (Post 11151891)
I applied and got conditional approvel within 1 week.
Although I've been waiting two weeks for my darn husband to fill out his application. He finally did it today.
We're in Halifax and there is interview opens as soon as tomorrow ( 5 slots available). I feel sorry for you guys in Calgary who have to wait till April. That's unreal.

Assuming my husband gets conditionally approved in a week, like myself. We should have our interview by Feb 2/3rd... Our flight to the US leaves Feb 28th. Think that will be enough time to get the card and what not?

Also, what kind of questions will be asked in this interview? Job history, Address history, etc,etc?

My other concern is me and my husband get greif every time we cross into America because we are a legally married same sex couple, and the US border officals don't seem to like that very much. We get a hassle every time, and I hope we don't get declined for a NEXUS based on that alone. One cranky, narrow minded agent could ruin the whole thing for us.

I'm in Halifax as well. Mine was even faster: applied online Friday, got a notice of conditional approval Monday, had my interview Tuesday (only because I was busy Monday). No problem with your card getting there in time, they said 10 business days maximum.

The questions were only to confirm the information you inputted (name, address, employer, how long at address and employer). They also re-asked the final four questions you were asked (convictions, etc), but also asked if I had ever done illegal drugs. It was a US personnel asking me, so I didn't start asking, "Illegal in your country or mine?", and just said "no". Don't show up with your track marks showing or smelling of pot, and you'll be fine.

Most of the time was spent having my picture taken, warning me to declare everything (because, "I'd hate for you to be kicked out for bringing in an apple") and getting a quick course on how to use the booth. I was in and out in 20 minutes, complete with my $50 keychain.

Can't wait to wave at the suckers stuck in line at YYZ next time I'm headed to the states.

SYM Jan 28, 2009 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ypqRD (Post 11146275)
Now there is a sign taped to the terminals in T1 saying be prepared to show your BP, blue card, your Nexus printed receipt, and your Nexus card on the way out. I don't think the fellow recognized the new card though. .

I've been asked three times; once I showed it; the other two times I started to fumble with my wallet (no deception - it was in there) and that was enough for the agent to wave me through

timriley12 Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm

I think it's unreal too... so despite the Nexus Calgary folks calling me to reconfirm that the full bookings until April was real, I went online today to see what would happen if I change my April booking. Lo and behold, Calgary's Nexus office is now showing a repaired schedule with multiple openings as early as Monday! So apparently the Nexus lady didn't know what she was talking about. So if anyone booked in April for Calgary like I did, you can now go online and see the true schedule with availability like everyone else (well, maybe not as nice as Halifax; I was almost tempted to schedule a March interview in Halifax instead during my planned trip there).

I feel sorry for you guys in Calgary who have to wait till April. That's unreal.

ALW Jan 28, 2009 12:19 pm

So apparently the Nexus lady didn't know what she was talking about.
I suspect that whatever database was feeding a fully-booked 3 months to the website was also feeding a fully-booked 3 months to her system. She was probably right, that there were no appointments available for 3 months.

Happy to hear they cleared it up. Good luck. :)

=aw

goaliemn Jan 29, 2009 7:07 am

I'd not bring it up. Apply as individuals and go in as individuals. The marriage isn't recognized in the US, unfortunately, so the border guards aren't giving you grief. They're following US law.

Last time I was in yyz, a couple of guys walked up together. The border guard asked "Are you related by blood? Then you need to come up separately." I thought that was a fairly good way to put it, and wasn't making a big deal about their marriage.

timriley12 Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

I second what goaliemn said as well - except that I don't believe you should feel compelled to 'not' bring up the fact that you and your husband are legally married (even though the U.S. federal government doesn't recognize it) - it's a fact and they can't and shouldn't bring you down for it. However, because you are applying for a transborder card that needs to be used and recognized in both Canada and the US, you are forced to play by whatever rules of recognition that is acceptable to both, and that unfortunately means having to apply as an individual.

The same goes for US customs crossings - my understanding is that the US custom areas located within Canadian airports is technically considered US territory (hence the US guardtroops that walk around etc) so you will have to abide by what their country / federal government will recognize, which at this time does not include marriage between same-sex couples, regardless of how socially barbaric that may be.

I should have prefaced by stating that my husband and I are also a married couple of the same gender - he's American and I am Canadian. As insulting and barbaric as the US government's policy is, and despite how much we disagree with it, in the end it's their (the US's) society's decision (so far) not to recognize marriage between two adults of the same sex at a federal level, and when we are forced to go through US customs individually, we view it as the sacrifice we must make to enter US soil - after all, it's our choice to enter the US and we certainly don't 'have' to. When the opportunity arises at the US customs border however, and they ask if I am travelling with someone - I will say that I am travelling with my spouse. They will then often demand why they are not at the customs agent together with me, I will then point to him (in line or at another agent) and inform him/her that 'I would, but your country does not recognize our marriage so we apparently need to come up individually'. If anything it's serves as educational for some of the customs agents who aren't aware of the equality issues.

Of course none of this is an issue coming back into Canada through Canada customs - we always come up to the agent together when entering Canada and from what I understand it doesn't even matter if you are married or not - so long as you are part of the same household...

- James

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11163090)
I'd not bring it up. Apply as individuals and go in as individuals. The marriage isn't recognized in the US, unfortunately, so the border guards aren't giving you grief. They're following US law.

Last time I was in yyz, a couple of guys walked up together. The border guard asked "Are you related by blood? Then you need to come up separately." I thought that was a fairly good way to put it, and wasn't making a big deal about their marriage.

robsaw Jan 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by timriley12 (Post 11164966)
The same goes for US customs crossings - my understanding is that the US custom areas located within Canadian airports is technically considered US territory (hence the US guardtroops that walk around etc) so you will have to abide by what their country / federal government will recognize, which at this time does not include marriage between same-sex couples, regardless of how socially barbaric that may be.

A common misconception. The area is by no means US territory. It is staffed by US officers that have the right to verify your admissibility to the US in accordance with US law. No more, no less. If something criminal comes up in their checks they can't arrest you there but must call in Canadian authorities. However, I have heard that if there is an outstanding US criminal matter they may just let people on the plane to be greeted by US authorities on arrival in US soil (saves the hassle of extradition).

spddemn Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Had my interview today. All good, clear sailing now. Should have card in two weeks they said.