FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

flyerCO Oct 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 31620331)
My understanding from prior trips is that the left lane is a Ready Lane

In any case, as there is no NEXUS-only traffic lane on the bridge itself, taking the 3 mile (2 x 1.5 miles) detour to cross to Whirlpool would be quicker during peak times. If the app shows wait times of 10-15 minutes or more, I would just go to Whirlpool.

Agree the bridge itself can be the sticking point. However when I went across back in March the left most lane was marked as being for Nexus only.

bostonoski Oct 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31615067)
I thought all the land crossings for cars had Nexus lanes. Makes sense the foot crossing wouldn't be that long and there wouldn't be any car inspections involved

I came through Lansdowne last weekend and boy was I sorry I didn't have my Nexus renewed yet - then realised I hadn't actually seen a Nexus lane! (I got it for this very crossing.) And so I asked and the CBP guy said that he thought they should have one, as it was so busy, but they didn't set one out that day (Saturday). :-/

An aside: I don't seem to get posts for this forum any more even though I've been subscribed to both this and its predecessor. Last email I got was Sept 5th but there are plenty of posts since... anyone else having issues?

faraz39 Nov 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Membership renewal was up on June 30 2020. Applied on Aug 21, 2019 and received approval without interview on Nov 13, 2019.

1. Do we get a new card after renewal?
2. If so, can we still use our old card until the new one is activated?
3. I'm out of the country till Dec 31 so if there is a new card it will sit in the mail till i return. But i fly via US on my return so plan to use the my old nexus card. Will this be a problem?

1KChinito Nov 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by faraz39 (Post 31747117)
Membership renewal was up on June 30 2020. Applied on Aug 21, 2019 and received approval without interview on Nov 13, 2019.

1. Do we get a new card after renewal?

Yes

2. If so, can we still use our old card until the new one is activated?
Yes

3. I'm out of the country till Dec 31 so if there is a new card it will sit in the mail till i return. But i fly via US on my return so plan to use the my old nexus card. Will this be a problem?
No

oreocookies Dec 18, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by oreocookies (Post 31658898)
I applied August 21, 2019 and got conditionally approved on October 17, 2019.

Just did my appointment. The only real questions that the American and Canadian officers asked me was why I applied. If I had chatted with them less, I would've been out in less than 10 minutes. All they do is take a picture of you and read all your fingerprints. No eye scan, and apparently that is being phased out in favor of facial recognition anyway.

The American guy said the website does a poor job of explaining that NEXUS includes TSA Precheck and Global Entry and is thus the best choice, and if their intention is to get fewer people to apply, it's succeeding. lol I'm pumped to use NEXUS lanes, Global Entry kiosks and TSA Precheck for all my future travels!

Just got home and I see my application portal now says approved. I've already added my known traveler number to my upcoming flights!

jwsm Dec 20, 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by oreocookies (Post 31853199)
............................ No eye scan, and apparently that is being phased out in favor of facial recognition anyway..................

Yes, I remember reading about that in the news recently that Nexus(not sure about GE or Sentri) will be doing away with iris scans and moving to facial recognition technology. Can you tell us where you did your interview?

My wife who is a US citizen is still waiting for conditional approval for her application that she submitted five and a half months ago(early July). Applications submitted during the months of June and July seem to have been overlooked for some reason and fallen into and got lost in some virtual blackhole. When I applied for GE a few years ago, I remember it did not take this long. IIRC, it only took about a month from when I submitted my application to when I got conditional approval. Would have gone with Nexus had it not been for the fact that my credit card would only cover the cost for GE, not Nexus. We live close to Canada and make a few trips up to BC every year so Nexus is a better option for us. It offers the same benefits(TSA Pre and US expedited entry) as GE plus it also has one other benefit that GE doesn't offer(expedited entry into Canada), for half the price($50 vs $100 for GE). A no-brainer really, especially for those who live close and travel frequently to Canada.

Will post back as soon as there is any change in the status. Hopefully, it won't be too long now before we see some light at the end of the tunnel.

KiloKiloLine Dec 20, 2019 8:27 am

Appointment at YVR yesterday (Dec. 19th, 2019) required an iris scan, which is done in the "reception" area. They said that a number of border-crossings continue to use iris scans, therefore they still need to collect that data even though it is being phased out in favour of facial recognition.

oreocookies Jan 1, 2020 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jwsm (Post 31859548)
Yes, I remember reading about that in the news recently that Nexus(not sure about GE or Sentri) will be doing away with iris scans and moving to facial recognition technology. Can you tell us where you did your interview?

I did my interview in Niagara Falls. I don't live there - I just scheduled it for when I was going to be in Buffalo. Good luck!