FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

WR Cage Apr 8, 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ (Post 13713302)
I assume you are talking about transborder. If so, I'll have a chance to try out the new YOW NEXUS priority line on Sunday April 11th.

But this afternoon in YOW, to my very pleasant surprise, I came across a NEXUS Priority security screening lane for the domestic departures area. I'm not sure why this is necessary, but I was happy to take advantage of it even if I am only flying to YYZ and on to YXU.

I asked the CATSA agent staffing the entrance to the lane and she said it was for connecting PAX. Great! This is an unpublished benefit of NEXUS and will help me on my way to YYZ for my intrenational connections.
--
13F

Here is the answer to your question:
http://www.catsa.ca/Page.aspx?ID=91&..._Nexus&lang=en

Trusted Traveller / NEXUS trial

What is the Trusted Traveller/NEXUS trial?

This is an initiative of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), in conjunction with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Transport Canada (TC). CATSA is testing the use of a separate screening line for passengers who possess a NEXUS card at selected airport security checkpoints in Canada.

Who can participate?

This pilot project trial applies only to members of NEXUS, a joint Canada/U.S.A. program that expedites the border clearance process for pre-approved, low-risk travellers. Access to the Trusted Traveller/NEXUS screening line is an added benefit for NEXUS members now travelling on domestic (and a few international) flights from Ottawa. The designated screening line is not available for flights to the U.S.A. at this time.

What is a “Trusted Traveller”

The CBSA has pre-approval programs for travellers who frequently travel into and out of Canada. These travellers have been identified as low-risk travellers after undergoing a rigorous risk assessment process. They carry a special photo ID card containing security features, such as an RFID (radio-frequency identification) chip. Membership in these programs gives them access to expedited service at some border crossings. For the purpose of the Trusted Traveller/NEXUS trial line, only travellers who are enrolled in the NEXUS program have access to a limited number of designated Canadian airport security checkpoints.

How does the designated screening line work?

NEXUS members must show their NEXUS card and boarding pass to enter the specially marked screening line at the airport security checkpoint. All other passengers go through a regular screening line. Access to the designated line is not based on class or cost of an airline ticket, or frequent flyer status.

Do NEXUS members undergo any security screening in the designated line?

Yes. Travellers using the Trusted Traveller/NEXUS line and their carry-on baggage still undergo pre-board screening.

B1 Apr 8, 2010 8:40 pm

While you may be in the right about the NEXUS card being sufficient the person who does the questioning may not be up to date and can demand a passport. It's no big deal to have the passport in case.

Bayako Apr 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Nexus kiosk in USA airports?

We will be going to JFK and was told line ups are
long?
Wondering if I could get some help with regards to
which USA airport have got Nexus kiosks service?

Thanks,
Bayako

Derek Apr 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bayako (Post 13763796)
We will be going to JFK and was told line ups are
long?
Wondering if I could get some help with regards to
which USA airport have got Nexus kiosks service?

Thanks,
Bayako

None of them. Nexus kiosks are only in Canadian airports that offer US pre-clearance.

Global Entry exists at several us airports, including JFK. It is a separate program.

emcampbe Apr 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Derek is correct. Since Nexus is specifically for Canada-US travel, it is only available at Canadian airports with US preclearence.

I'm hoping that at some point, those of us with Nexus will get the deal where we can be a part of Global Entry, like the reciprocity they have with the Dutch program. But nothing yet...and I'm not really holding my breath.

InTheAirGuy Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am

Apple is delaying release of the IPad outside of Canada, so I'll have to pick one up during a swing into the US next week. I'm gone 48 hrs+, which gives me a $400 exemption. So the iPad will exceed that value.

So having never had anything to declare for Nexus, I presume I :

-- fill out a TDC with the value
-- answer the questions on the screen, indicating my Yes answer (exceeding personal exemption)
-- leave the TDC somewhere -- where, I'll be coming back through YYC?

Having never done this before, and being very careful not to miss any steps, I want to make sure I do this right.

fly-yul Apr 14, 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy (Post 13769740)
Apple is delaying release of the IPad outside of Canada, so I'll have to pick one up during a swing into the US next week. I'm gone 48 hrs+, which gives me a $400 exemption. So the iPad will exceed that value.

So having never had anything to declare for Nexus, I presume I :

-- fill out a TDC with the value
-- answer the questions on the screen, indicating my Yes answer (exceeding personal exemption)
-- leave the TDC somewhere -- where, I'll be coming back through YYC?

Having never done this before, and being very careful not to miss any steps, I want to make sure I do this right.

I don't think the TDC cards are used at the airport. They are for the land borders.

The correct procedure is to indicate you are over your personal exception at the kiosk and then head to the cashier's office to pay.

A better idea is to use the general line. The CBSA agent may waive you though without having to pay anything. The computer has no ability to do so.

todd-r Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 13769831)
A better idea is to use the general line. The CBSA agent may waive you though without having to pay anything. The computer has no ability to do so.

Agreed. Whenever we exceed our exemption limit we always go thru the regular line. The officer has so much discretion and most times (95%) we've been waved through (both air and land). Especially with cool new electronics. Like the time when I when I brought across my new TIVO. At the time, TIVO wasn't available/popular in Canada yet and of course because I had popped down to the US just to pick it up (land border in Vancouver) I had no exemption. I declared it, the guy said pop your trunk, he checked it out, came back and said, "Cool!" and waved me through.

Belly in the Air Apr 14, 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by todd-r (Post 13769978)
Agreed. Whenever we exceed our exemption limit we always go thru the regular line. The officer has so much discretion and most times (95%) we've been waved through (both air and land). Especially with cool new electronics. Like the time when I when I brought across my new TIVO. At the time, TIVO wasn't available/popular in Canada yet and of course because I had popped down to the US just to pick it up (land border in Vancouver) I had no exemption. I declared it, the guy said pop your trunk, he checked it out, came back and said, "Cool!" and waved me through.

Worked in our benefit many times especially in YYZ if you are coming back from int'l travel.
Same at the Peace Arch.. Go thru Nexus and come back thru the general line.

chatewovan Apr 15, 2010 2:20 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 13769831)

The general line is definitely the way to go by both air and land. We will head to the US using Nexus exclusively, but when the general line is short returning to Canada, we'll choose that option, and we've been waved through the last bunch of times. We've always been no more than a few hundred over, and your iPad purchase should put you in a similar situation. But do make a quick calculation beforehand on what you'd be paying at the cashier. If the general line is long, it may just be worth your time and money to use Nexus.

B1 Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm

At a land border you have to use a page in the declaration book and fill it out in detail (as to customs category) and then drop it into the box before you get to the inspector. Filling it out is a huge pain compared to a verbal declaration. Although I've done a few of these cards, they never charged me so I assume there is the same discretion. If you are entering at an airport, you also will have filled out the usual card so I assume that the person who looks at the cards before you go to the baggage area makes the decision based on what you wrote.

notyouraveragejt Apr 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone else had the problem with the inspector on the US in the Nexus lane giving a rather long inspection and asking me why I needed Nexus and other questions along those lines? I was just really shocked to have close to 10 minutes inspection in the Nexus lane which I normally have only been asked a question or two.

notyouraveragejt Apr 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 13764165)
Derek is correct. Since Nexus is specifically for Canada-US travel, it is only available at Canadian airports with US preclearence.

I'm hoping that at some point, those of us with Nexus will get the deal where we can be a part of Global Entry, like the reciprocity they have with the Dutch program. But nothing yet...and I'm not really holding my breath.

I don't know if you are a Canadian Citizen or US Citizen but I know for me being a us citizen I was able to sign up for Global Entry for free and expires when my Nexus membership expires. I could be wrong but I think is only set up for US citizens to do since I don't believe Canadians can sign up for Global Entry.

Derek Apr 17, 2010 7:00 am

Originally Posted by notyouraveragejt (Post 13787825)
Global Entry is only set up for US citizens to do since I don't believe Canadians can sign up for Global Entry.

US citizens or permanent residents, and the Dutch.

simd Apr 17, 2010 7:29 am

Getting asked for Passport and Nexus Card

Originally Posted by B1 (Post 13737275)
While you may be in the right about the NEXUS card being sufficient the person who does the questioning may not be up to date and can demand a passport. It's no big deal to have the passport in case.

Cleared US pre-clearance at YHZ yesterday, took my papers to the officer and he asked to see my passport and Nexus card. He didn't actually check them (passport remained closed and Nexus card in its protective cover) and said that he was just making sure that I had them both.

Are they reading FT and want to make sure everyone is following the rules?