FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

mattm00se Feb 10, 2010 12:22 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 13356743)
Any updates on if the line at YYZ T1 is outside the door for customs, if you're able to flash your nexus card and go right in to use the kiosks?

..The line is always outside now ;) .. and yes, you can just goto the front and flash your nexus card.

mevlannen Feb 10, 2010 5:52 am

Originally Posted by cbob (Post 13359668)
Yikes! :)
Is this an option or can one still renew @ YVR?
I'd hate to think I'll have to go to Blaine for a NEXUS renewal. Not at all handy for me.

CB

Oh, yes, there were indeed slots available at YVR, with just a few additional days' delay. Main reasons that I opted for the office in Blaine (with the very nice folks there) was that I knew I would be doing a shopping-trip Stateside the past weekend -- and also that I had some concern about being able to find a parking spot at YVR.

Whole process was easy. I was in and out of there in seven minutes, complete with my new book of Traveller Declaration Cards (for land mode, not for air mode).

miramshan Feb 10, 2010 5:01 pm

At YEG yesterday, there was a lineup to get into the US immigration hall from the customs hall waiting area, asked the CATSA guy if I could just go through to NEXUS and was told no, to wait in line. A minute later he came and got me and let me through. The YEG are is way to small for what is going on, but overall, I think they are doing a decent job of staging passengers into Immigration/Security considering the poor design of the area.

quank Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Happy to get my Nexus card and with application process

Thought the process was very quick and professional:
  • Applied around Jan 18th
  • Approved around Jan 22nd
  • Scheduled interview for Jan29
  • Received Nexus card on Feb10th

CreekTraveler Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by quank (Post 13368284)
Thought the process was very quick and professional:
  • Applied around Jan 18th
  • Approved around Jan 22nd
  • Scheduled interview for Jan29
  • Received Nexus card on Feb10th

Great to hear that. I am Global Entry and just applied for FLUX, then I decided to apply for NEXUS as well. Started the process and arrived at the next to last step and the program asked me to fix an error. I thought the error would be fixed easily. I have two passports on my GOES file. One is an expired U.S. passport and the second is my current U.S. passport.

So I replaced the information on the first passport to fit the new passport information. NEXUS then lets me know that the document is already in my admissibility section, so I cannot do that. OK. Then I go to my old passport section and try to delete it, then NEXUS informs me that if I do that ALL my citizen and passport information would disappear.

Well, I logged out, completely at a loss for what to do next. The HELP section is quite unhelpful and humorous in my opinion. Anyone experience what I just described?

TIA:(

shuuy Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by CreekTraveler (Post 13404110)
Great to hear that. I am Global Entry and just applied for FLUX, then I decided to apply for NEXUS as well. Started the process and arrived at the next to last step and the program asked me to fix an error. I thought the error would be fixed easily. I have two passports on my GOES file. One is an expired U.S. passport and the second is my current U.S. passport.

So I replaced the information on the first passport to fit the new passport information. NEXUS then lets me know that the document is already in my admissibility section, so I cannot do that. OK. Then I go to my old passport section and try to delete it, then NEXUS informs me that if I do that ALL my citizen and passport information would disappear.

Well, I logged out, completely at a loss for what to do next. The HELP section is quite unhelpful and humorous in my opinion. Anyone experience what I just described?

TIA:(

So the issue is that you have to type all your information in again? Not a big deal, n'est pas?

CreekTraveler Feb 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 13404323)
So the issue is that you have to type all your information in again? Not a big deal, n'est pas?

What part of ALL are you unaware of? I thought it meant ALL, as in my GOES information wiped out as well.

Subtle wittiness aside, you were helpful. Thanks.

bb1987 Feb 23, 2010 9:27 am

email

got an email from dhs:

"Please be advised that citizens of the United States and Canada may now use their NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards as proof of identification and citizenship at all land border lanes and seaport locations (not just the NEXUS/FAST lanes) when entering the United States or Canada."

I guess that finally makes it official what had been the practice for several months. I guess it's safe to bring a copy of this email and leave my passport at home, just in case I get an uninformed agent.

ssconfiguration Feb 23, 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by bb1987 (Post 13446451)
got an email from dhs:

"Please be advised that citizens of the United States and Canada may now use their NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards as proof of identification and citizenship at all land border lanes and seaport locations (not just the NEXUS/FAST lanes) when entering the United States or Canada."

I guess that finally makes it official what had been the practice for several months. I guess it's safe to bring a copy of this email and leave my passport at home, just in case I get an uninformed agent.

Ok, I hate to be immediately pedantic regarding what is obviously a welcome change. However, I am wondering if this also applies to people who are not citizens of either country, such as me. Obviously, the email above only addresses US and Canadian citizens, but I wonder whether the email sender just assumed that Nexus members would be citizens of one of these two countries, or whether this policy really does apply only to US/Canada citizens for security/bureaucracy reasons. Guess I will try it out soon and find out, but if any non US/Canadian citizen has experience, please do write in.

dnotes Feb 23, 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ssconfiguration (Post 13447051)
Ok, I hate to be immediately pedantic regarding what is obviously a welcome change. However, I am wondering if this also applies to people who are not citizens of either country, such as me. Obviously, the email above only addresses US and Canadian citizens, but I wonder whether the email sender just assumed that Nexus members would be citizens of one of these two countries, or whether this policy really does apply only to US/Canada citizens for security/bureaucracy reasons. Guess I will try it out soon and find out, but if any non US/Canadian citizen has experience, please do write in.

ok you can be the guinea pig and try this out… (bring your passport) but don't show it to them? :D instead show them the original email/doc as stated above…

quank Feb 23, 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dnotes (Post 13447317)
ok you can be the guinea pig and try this out… (bring your passport) but don't show it to them? :D instead show them the original email/doc as stated above…

I'm headed to LAS from YEG next week. Will keep passport in my back pocket and only present my NEXUS card. Will report back on whether I get asked for my passport as well.

dnotes Feb 23, 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by quank (Post 13447374)
I'm headed to LAS from YEG next week. Will keep passport in my back pocket and only present my NEXUS card. Will report back on whether I get asked for my passport as well.

btw… only specifically for land and seaport crossings only

antirealist Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ssconfiguration (Post 13447051)
Ok, I hate to be immediately pedantic regarding what is obviously a welcome change. However, I am wondering if this also applies to people who are not citizens of either country, such as me.

I have no experience... but if I had to guess, I'd say that this applies only to US/Canadian citizens and not Permanent Residents, because as I understand it, WHTI applies to citizens.

In fact, according to this:

NEXUS and FAST members who are permanent residents of Canada or the United States are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to a border services officer upon arrival at the border...

Please note that the new policy concerning the use of the NEXUS card as proof of identity and documents that denote citizenship does not pertain to the air mode of transportation. Members of the NEXUS program will still be required to carry the appropriate documentation when travelling by air.

emcampbe Feb 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by quank (Post 13447374)

I'm assuming you're flying. If so, I predict you'll get asked for the passport upon check in or at bag drop.

quank Feb 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 13448394)
I'm assuming you're flying. If so, I predict you'll get asked for the passport upon check in or at bag drop.

oops - didnt read the original post about this ... will definitely have my passport!