FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

ACfly Dec 28, 2009 11:28 am

No issues at all to report from YYZ T1 Transborder!

Originally Posted by *wood (Post 13064632)
Interested in everone's experiences in the past 48 hours while using Nexus. Any news?

Keep us updated ssconfiguration.

No Issues with Nexus at all with my recent experience todat at 11am at YYZ. It was the most seemless crossing I have done... no lineup at security and no issues with NEXUS!!

28isGreat Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

NEXUS members no longer need to carry passport for land/sea

A bit late, but I don't think this info has been posted yet.

As of late November, for land & sea crossing only (sadly, not air), NEXUS members who have Canadian or US citizenship (and says so on their card) no longer need to present their passport at Canadian ports of entry.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...uveid-eng.html

Air travelers can resume the usual back-and-forth banter of "why do I need my passport" and "why would you not take your passport with you" :D

lcohen999 Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

On another note.

I crossed Rainbow last week. It seems that ALL lanes are now Nexus equiped heading to the US.

Regardless, impulse forces me to the Nexus lane. However if you are too lazy to go to Whirlpool, 15 Nexus lanes look like they are ready for your RFID read

blondee_yvr Jan 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by 28isGreat (Post 13159435)
A bit late, but I don't think this info has been posted yet.

As of late November, for land & sea crossing only (sadly, not air), NEXUS members who have Canadian or US citizenship (and says so on their card) no longer need to present their passport at Canadian ports of entry.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...uveid-eng.html

Air travelers can resume the usual back-and-forth banter of "why do I need my passport" and "why would you not take your passport with you" :D

Hmm. I was told this was in effect already, since June 2009. IOW, US Border Agents never asked for a passport when entering the US from Canada with your Nexus card. I havent been asked once and I always ask if I need my passport. I used to go quite a bit in the summer.

28isGreat Jan 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by blondee_yvr (Post 13161932)
Hmm. I was told this was in effect already, since June 2009. IOW, US Border Agents never asked for a passport when entering the US from Canada with your Nexus card. I havent been asked once and I always ask if I need my passport. I used to go quite a bit in the summer.

Yes, US CBP has accepted NEXUS instead of passport for quite some time now. What's apparently new is that Canada is finally accepting it in the other direction.

blondee_yvr Jan 12, 2010 12:43 am

Must be a YMMV because I have not once been asked to show my passport on the way back to Canada either.

HBSAEG Jan 22, 2010 12:18 am

Taking a dog through the NEXUS lane

There are only one or two posts in the thread that discuss this, so I hoped to see if there is any further information; we have been using NEXUS for several years, both land and air, with no problems. We now have a dog, 2 years old, fully vaccinated, all certificates, etc.

It is entirely unclear from the CBP and Canadian websites whether we can bring the dog through NEXUS (land). It says we have to have the rabies certificate, which is no problem, but will we be penalized by bringing her through NEXUS, rather than the regular lane ?-- weekend border waits at Blaine can be an hour or two.

thanks!

blondee_yvr Jan 22, 2010 12:31 am

The last time I checked, a dog wasn't considered a person. Maybe things have changed, but I think you should be fine. :p

todd-r Jan 22, 2010 10:15 am

Your dog can accompany you - just be sure to declare it and hand the rabies cert along with your Nexus cards to the officer.

28isGreat Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm

How to update (certain) info on NEXUS profile?

I need to update some employment and address history on my NEXUS profile. The Canadian officials I have talked to say I can do this online, but I can't figure out how. Does anyone know how?

(I do see where to update my "mailing address" on-line, but this does nothing to update my "current address", i.e., where I physically live.)

Thanks for any help!

Aside: As an added "bonus", when I asked an agent to do this when I went to the YYC enrollment office in person a week ago (when removing a Visa record, which definitely cannot be done online), the agent there complained at me for not doing it online, and then reluctantly made the changes, but I don't see the changes reflected online. I'm suspicious that she didn't do anything... she was mighty unimpressed that I couldn't figure out how to do this online. I'll be suitably embarrassed if there's an easy way and I couldn't figure it out, but I swear I've clicked on just about every possible link there....

ssconfiguration Jan 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by 28isGreat (Post 13236531)
I need to update some employment and address history on my NEXUS profile. The Canadian officials I have talked to say I can do this online, but I can't figure out how. Does anyone know how?

(I do see where to update my "mailing address" on-line, but this does nothing to update my "current address", i.e., where I physically live.)

Thanks for any help!

Aside: As an added "bonus", when I asked an agent to do this when I went to the YYC enrollment office in person a week ago (when removing a Visa record, which definitely cannot be done online), the agent there complained at me for not doing it online, and then reluctantly made the changes, but I don't see the changes reflected online. I'm suspicious that she didn't do anything... she was mighty unimpressed that I couldn't figure out how to do this online. I'll be suitably embarrassed if there's an easy way and I couldn't figure it out, but I swear I've clicked on just about every possible link there....

This happened to me in Sept 2008. See page 35 of this thread. You can only change the mailing address online, but that is all you need to do.

henrymart81 Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

My first Nexus experience

... was absolutely horrible. And here I thought I'd be saving myself time, when I had to go through secondary screening both going into Canada and going back in the US.

I live near a border and recently got my card. I didn't have a real reason for my trip other than to try it out and familiarize myself with the process (good thing I did because I did it wrong). The Canadian agents gave me hell for not having an itinerary, but I was admitted anyway (some of them seemed upset about this). I spent about 6 hours in Canada just seeing the sights and eating.. then drove back.. I was given absolute hell from the US side.

Evidently Nexus isn't for people wanting to make day trips without luggage/ without buying things to declare. Am I really dense or am I misunderstanding the point of the program?

After my experience I thought "man I would give up all my info and rights if I could somehow let them know I am legit and not a troublemaker".. d'oh

I understand they're doing their jobs keeping our borders safe and I completely respect that, I just wish I didn't feel like a criminal for what was completely an innocent trip. I just love going to Canada, always have.

In the future I guess I'm only going to go if I have a real reason for it.. :\

dnotes Jan 31, 2010 2:22 pm

that's sad. was this on a land border or bridge crossing? and you used the nexus lane?

FYI if you're crossing on the ON-NY border, the whirlpool bridge is traffic free, nexus only.

emcampbe Jan 31, 2010 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by henrymart81 (Post 13295590)
... was absolutely horrible. And here I thought I'd be saving myself time, when I had to go through secondary screening both going into Canada and going back in the US.

I live near a border and recently got my card. I didn't have a real reason for my trip other than to try it out and familiarize myself with the process (good thing I did because I did it wrong). The Canadian agents gave me hell for not having an itinerary, but I was admitted anyway (some of them seemed upset about this). I spent about 6 hours in Canada just seeing the sights and eating.. then drove back.. I was given absolute hell from the US side.

Evidently Nexus isn't for people wanting to make day trips without luggage/ without buying things to declare. Am I really dense or am I misunderstanding the point of the program?

After my experience I thought "man I would give up all my info and rights if I could somehow let them know I am legit and not a troublemaker".. d'oh

I understand they're doing their jobs keeping our borders safe and I completely respect that, I just wish I didn't feel like a criminal for what was completely an innocent trip. I just love going to Canada, always have.

In the future I guess I'm only going to go if I have a real reason for it.. :\

Nexus isn't a free pass to go into/out of US without being subject to immigrations/customs. You are still subject to inspection based on your answers to the questions you get asked on the kiosk's for air travel and you are still subject to random or other secondary screening.

We all get that sometimes. Sounds like you either got really unlucky with random secondary screenings both ways, or have a flag on your account for one reason or another. Perhaps you got doubly unlucky with bad agents, or those that were having a bad day.

My personal expereince, I've been secondaried a few times, but pretty quick cursory doc checks or a couple of questions asked, once bags searched, but all in the airport. The ony time I've had a semi-serious delay was at the Peace Arch bridge.

henrymart81 Jan 31, 2010 2:31 pm

Re:

I didn't see a Nexus-only lane so I used a regular lane. It was pretty late at night.

I have a feeling they didn't like my answers, not to mention I'm a young guy who traveled by himself and for some reason people in general tell me I look like I'm up to something LOL.

I'll try to not let this experience bother me too much.. my next trip to Canada will be via an airport this summer, so here's to hoping that goes smoother.