FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

Derek Oct 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 12674830)
Ummm... the post just before your post.
And the Nexus security line is to the right of the regular line.

Quite right, on both counts.

Geooverseas Oct 30, 2009 8:02 am

Nexus and commercial goods

I live in Canada and I am traveling to a trade show in the USA, I would like to know if I can bring back a few broachers from the trade show or are they considered commercial goods? I know that I am not allowed to bring back samples or items for resale when using my Nexus.

slashd0t Oct 30, 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 12674830)
Ummm... the post just before your post.
And the Nexus security line is to the right of the regular line.

The Nexus line in YVR is awesome when going to the US... Last time I cleared in YVR there was probably a thousand people in the regular line and about 4 in the Nexus line :cool:

28isGreat Oct 30, 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Geooverseas (Post 12736971)
I live in Canada and I am traveling to a trade show in the USA, I would like to know if I can bring back a few broachers from the trade show or are they considered commercial goods? I know that I am not allowed to bring back samples or items for resale when using my Nexus.

"Brochures", I assume you mean?

My interpretation:
- nobody's going to care about you carrying a few scattered brochures that are from other companies that you are carrying for your own information

- what they're looking for is you carrying a stack of brochures (or other goods) that you intend to distribute/sell

That's my educated guess. Which is worth, roughly, $0.00 :)

Derek Oct 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Check with the US Customs site (www.google.com). The rules are clear and unambiguous. If you are asking what you can get away with, well, you can try anything, many do. Some people manage to get all sorts of things past Customs. If you have Nexus, though, you are risking your status if you break the rules.

28isGreat Oct 30, 2009 3:21 pm

I live in Canada and I am traveling to a trade show in the USA, I would like to know if I can bring back [to Canada]...

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 12739377)
Check with the US Customs site

Wrong direction for the "original" poster. Needs to check Canada Customs.

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 12739377)
If you have Nexus, though, you are risking your status if you break the rules.

+1, always important to keep that in mind!

emcampbe Oct 31, 2009 7:42 am

I don't believe its a matter of being able to use Nexus or not, you should be able to use it, no matter what you come back with. Its a matter of what you put on the form or not, and ticking the right boxes.

If you tick yes to any of the boxes, and then, obviously note that on the screen, you are sent to secondary, where they will look at the form and determine the next step. If you're not sure - declare as bus. materials, and then show them what it is. Better to declare something, have the customs officer say it is ok, and then go home rather than not declaring it, having customs find it on their own, and losing your Nexus.

On that track, I once brought dried fruit back to Canada on my Nexus and declared it as fruit, even though I was 99.9% sure they wouldn't care about that, and that it is fresh fruit they were concerned with. He looked in my bag, saw the box the dried fruit was in, asked what it was, I told him, and he waved me through. Took a few extra minutes of my time to come in, but had they found it on my own, I likely would have a lot more problems crossing the border on a regular basis (and without a Nexus card).

PreferBulkhead Oct 31, 2009 8:51 am

I agree with your approach and it is the same I take. The Nexus privilege is one that I and Mrs. PB do not want to lose so we never take chances ... on the rare chance a secondary pops up it is better to have been forthright than not IOHO. :)

guessaaa Oct 31, 2009 5:31 pm

I had potato chips with me in my bag. I checked "Yes" to vegetables on the declaration card, and wrote in "potato chips" in the margin next to it, then went to the machine, said I checked off all no, handed my card in, the agent had a look, said thanks, and I was on my way. Next time you have stuff like dried fruit and you go to have them looked over, ask if you can check all no on the machine if you're bringing the same thing back.

dunderhead Nov 1, 2009 1:17 pm

Municipal Election ID

Just for fun, thought I would show my Nexus card as ID when voting today in the province-wide municipal elections in Quebec...and it was accepted without problem (wonder if the poll clerk even knew what it was...or just perhaps they were better trained than the average American hayseed who traded up from their broiler at Sonic or slurpie concession at 7-11 to take a job with the TSA).

lcohen999 Nov 1, 2009 1:19 pm

Here is my Nexus question for the day. We just go a new customer in Niagara Falls, NY. This will require a few overnight stays. For anyone who has been to Niagara Falls, NY it is not a place you would want to hang around at night. My thoughts would be to cross at days end and stay back in Canada and cross again in the morning.

Should I force any red flag/issues with that?

Derek Nov 1, 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by 28isGreat (Post 12739445)
Wrong direction for the "original" poster. Needs to check Canada Customs.

Good point, I read too quickly. Same web site as the one I listed though. ;)

okazon69 Nov 1, 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunderhead (Post 12748327)
Just for fun, thought I would show my Nexus card as ID when voting today in the province-wide municipal elections in Quebec...and it was accepted without problem (wonder if the poll clerk even knew what it was...or just perhaps they were better trained than the average American hayseed who traded up from their broiler at Sonic or slurpie concession at 7-11 to take a job with the TSA).

I was considering using it, but decided to follow the instructions and provide one of the IDs on the list.

yyzvoyageur Nov 1, 2009 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 12748344)
Here is my Nexus question for the day. We just go a new customer in Niagara Falls, NY. This will require a few overnight stays. For anyone who has been to Niagara Falls, NY it is not a place you would want to hang around at night. My thoughts would be to cross at days end and stay back in Canada and cross again in the morning.

Should I force any red flag/issues with that?

The Americans could get suspicious that you got a job in the US without the proper paperwork and are commuting daily. Just be able to prove what you're doing over there. Maybe something from your employer on letterhead explaining the new customer and your role. The Canadian side should be fine; I'm sure they'll understand your reluctance to stay at the Super 8 in beautiful downtown Niagara Falls, NY.

lcohen999 Nov 1, 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur (Post 12748795)
The Americans could get suspicious that you got a job in the US without the proper paperwork and are commuting daily. Just be able to prove what you're doing over there. Maybe something from your employer on letterhead explaining the new customer and your role. The Canadian side should be fine; I'm sure they'll understand your reluctance to stay at the Super 8 in beautiful downtown Niagara Falls, NY.

Not really a job, per-say. We are a Canadian company who sold a software package to a US one. We are allowed to go down and install. I will probably bring the contract with me, but a totally legal B13 entry (I think)