Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, Delta, American
Update: I called the YUL NEXUS office and left a voice mail on Friday May 20th after having my interview there on Sunday May 15th and not getting my approval email or seeing the approval on GOES. I just got a call today from a Canadian agent at YUL reponding to my VM from a week ago and she said to be patient as it could take up to 6 weeks to get approved (wait, what? after the intewview?) and to call back then if I still didnt' see any approval on GOES. I check my email at lunch at lo and behold I had an email! Checked my GOES and I had my approval. Interesting. Tomorrow is my 10 business days that they say the card should come in. Not holding my breath, but not really worried as I see it online now. I am going to MEX tomorrow for the holiday weekend and am curious to see if 1) They give me precheck after I updated my KTN with my new NEXUS id and 2) If the GE lanes work when I get back to ATL. Hoping for the precheck mostly! So ready to bypass these damn lines. Cheers.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by gallo1801
Update: I called the YUL NEXUS office and left a voice mail on Friday May 20th after having my interview there on Sunday May 15th and not getting my approval email or seeing the approval on GOES. I just got a call today from a Canadian agent at YUL reponding to my VM from a week ago and she said to be patient as it could take up to 6 weeks to get approved (wait, what? after the intewview?) and to call back then if I still didnt' see any approval on GOES. I check my email at lunch at lo and behold I had an email! Checked my GOES and I had my approval. Interesting. Tomorrow is my 10 business days that they say the card should come in. Not holding my breath, but not really worried as I see it online now. I am going to MEX tomorrow for the holiday weekend and am curious to see if 1) They give me precheck after I updated my KTN with my new NEXUS id and 2) If the GE lanes work when I get back to ATL. Hoping for the precheck mostly! So ready to bypass these damn lines. Cheers.
You should be able to do both-- your approval letter should say that you can use your NEXUS card when you receive and activate it, but the next paragraph should say you can begin using GE "immediately." I don't recall it commenting on TSA Pre (I imagine since that's run by TSA not CBP) but I think that's assumed. Of course, like everything with this program, the caveat: who knows, we'll see, something may have changed, some times things don't work, etc.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:46 am

Family processing time

Another data point for my wife and 3 kids (ages 9, 14, 15):
Applied online for NEXUS on 4/5/2016
Conditional approval 4/19/2016
Interview scheduled for all four of them 6/5/2015 in Blaine, WA, but after rechecking like a madman, I was able to snag one for her for Memorial Day 5/30/2016 in Seattle. Called and was able to get kids on same appointment (YMMV depending on location and time).
Approval emails arrived a few hours after the interview.

Edit to add: All cards arrived 6/6/16

Last edited by chrisgwins; Jun 7, 2016 at 9:37 am Reason: Added data
Old May 31, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BH8489
You should be able to do both-- your approval letter should say that you can use your NEXUS card when you receive and activate it, but the next paragraph should say you can begin using GE "immediately." I don't recall it commenting on TSA Pre (I imagine since that's run by TSA not CBP) but I think that's assumed. Of course, like everything with this program, the caveat: who knows, we'll see, something may have changed, some times things don't work, etc.
Going on 12 business days without getting my card...

But not really an issue as my next trip to Canada is in July. I got PreCheck by putting my KTN as my NEXUS ID on my reservation. Only the aggravating thing was that the PreCheck lane at ATL Intl Terminal was closed Friday afternoon (before Mem. Day weekend), but still nice to know I'll have that now! I just got back from MEX this afternoon and my GE worked perfectly. Scanned passport and my fingerprints, then out the customs area in 5 min. The normal line was prob 1.5 hours minimum! The two main components (TSA Pre, and Global Entry) have worked fine thus far, so only thing is to experience the actual Nexus benefit on my next jaunt up north.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by gallo1801
Going on 12 business days without getting my card...
The new story according to the interviewing officers is that it's 2-3 weeks for a card to arrive after the interview. Markedly different from just a month ago.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by chrisgwins
The new story according to the interviewing officers is that it's 2-3 weeks for a card to arrive after the interview. Markedly different from just a month ago.
Whoa, that's a crazy change? I thought the CBP was seperate from TSA? :-)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:24 pm

We had our card in hand 8 calendar days after our 5/18 interview in SEA.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:18 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Just got this via email. Applied in Jan 2016, set appointment for August 2016.

Thank you for your continued interest in CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs. After additional review, it has been determined that your application could be approved without an additional in person enrollment interview. If you had a scheduled appointment, it will be cancelled on your behalf with the approval of your application. If you receive a membership card in the mail, you can activate the card through your GOES account. No further action is required.
I'll take it...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:43 am

How long has the wait been lately from online application submission to pending approval and ability to set an appointment? My family and I are going on 3 calendar weeks today (submitted 5/18). Was hoping to be able to set appointments for when we drive to Toronto in late July but not sure if that's possible at this point.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Rirruto
How long has the wait been lately from online application submission to pending approval and ability to set an appointment? My family and I are going on 3 calendar weeks today (submitted 5/18). Was hoping to be able to set appointments for when we drive to Toronto in late July but not sure if that's possible at this point.
Good luck. After conditional approval in April, my appointment is in October. It's no in Toronto. Picking your own date is not in cards. They tell you when it's available.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Any recent data points on conditional approval timelines? Applied on May 14. I'm a Canadian citizen, in case that might affect anything.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Good luck. After conditional approval in April, my appointment is in October. It's no in Toronto. Picking your own date is not in cards. They tell you when it's available.
That's discouraging but going back to my original question, how long did you wait from application submission to conditional approval in April?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, IHG, Marriott, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Question Order of processing?

I applied online on May 16. My wife applied on May 18. She got an email giving conditional approval on June 6. (She got an appointment in Halifax (YHZ) on June July 18!)

I am still waiting. Is it unusual for the approvals to be out of order?

[Edited: Wrong Month!]

Last edited by SnowDude; Jun 17, 2016 at 6:49 am Reason: Added title
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by SnowDude
I applied online on May 16. My wife applied on May 18. She got an email giving conditional approval on June 6. (She got an appointment in Halifax (YHZ) on June 18!)

I am still waiting. Is it unusual for the approvals to be out of order?
Welcome to FT. Maybe you have been naughty and they require extra time to check you out thoroughly.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, IHG, Marriott, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Welcome to FT. Maybe you have been naughty and they require extra time to check you out thoroughly.
Maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.