Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Approved for GE: Q2 2013

The CBP officer told me that my GE card is valid up until my NEXUS card arrives and is activated. I'm not sure about that given what I've read online, but it shouldn't matter since you don't use the GE cards at the airport kiosks and I don't plan on any land or sea border crossings in the near future.

When does one actually need to show the GE card.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TomBrady
When does one actually need to show the GE card.
The card's RFID chip gets scanned at land border crossings and I don't know if they scan it by sea (you either get told to meet a customs officer at a location or told to be on your way). By air, I just use it as my government issued photo ID for domestic flights.

Last edited by phltraveler; Apr 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:51 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
The center in Sweetgrass, MT shows availability in April but it does not provide iris scans. No good if going through airports.
Once you have everything done, you can do the iris scan as a drop-in (no appointment needed) at the locations that have it. My interview was at the Detroit (Ambassador Bridge) center, and I just set aside some time during my next trip to YYZ to get the scans done. (Entered "the old way" using my passport, asked the officer where the NEXUS office was, and went on over after I'd finished clearing through. Easy.)
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Once you have everything done, you can do the iris scan as a drop-in (no appointment needed) at the locations that have it. My interview was at the Detroit (Ambassador Bridge) center, and I just set aside some time during my next trip to YYZ to get the scans done. (Entered "the old way" using my passport, asked the officer where the NEXUS office was, and went on over after I'd finished clearing through. Easy.)
Is that so at all locations for iris scans. Too bad I did not know that yesterday and the April is now gone. Will keep on checking.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:43 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Is that so at all locations for iris scans. Too bad I did not know that yesterday and the April is now gone. Will keep on checking.
To the best of my knowledge, all of the iris scan locations will do them on a drop-in basis as noted in this newsletter. In some cases (including Blaine, Niagara Falls, and Champlain) the enrollment center is on the US side of the border and has a note that the nearby Canadian office can do them.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

I had my interview today at Pearson and everything went smoothly. It's been around 5 hours and no approval email. I called into the center and the admin person told me that it could take 5-6 weeks to get my card even though the cbsa agent told me 7-10 days. She said that the application now needs to go to Washington, D.C. and potentially could still not be approved (even though I gave them my biometric data already). Does this make any sense? I thought once they gave you the orientation on the program and took the biometric data that was it. She told me there's no way I'd be getting an approval email today even though multiple people have reported their approval email being almost instant after the interview. I'm confused.

I was pre-approved, had the interview, and now have to get approved again? Something doesn't add up.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott, Delta, American
Just had my interview at Montreal-Trudeau on Sunday afternoon. I brought all my paperwork detailing the sealing/dropping of charges, but they only asked if I had ever been charged with breaking customs laws [specifically] to which I said no. They didn't ask about general criminal history or bring up either of my cases, so I just kept to myself and kept my documents in their envelope. The Canadian officer actually started the interview by taking my retina scan lol, and didn't really ask any thing except why I wanted NEXUS. The US officer asked my employment history, and I had to explain that I worked one full time job and two part time/freelance as my freelance was listed as my main job in their system. She took my fingerprints and told me I was approved and would get the card within 10 business days.

The only issue is that my GOES account shows "interview scheduled" and not approved. I called the Trudeau nexus office and left a message explaining that I was approved after my interview but didn't see it listed online still. Most people got the approval email/GOES approval the same day so just thought it was odd.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:49 am

My approval came through 27 hours after the interview (at Pearson). If you don't see anything by Friday I'd definitely give them a call back to see what the holdup is.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by gallo1801
The only issue is that my GOES account shows "interview scheduled" and not approved. I called the Trudeau nexus office and left a message explaining that I was approved after my interview but didn't see it listed online still. Most people got the approval email/GOES approval the same day so just thought it was odd.
Reading this forum, I think the same day approval email is not the norm anymore. Maybe there was a software update for the officers. Who knows. I was "interview scheduled" status for a week after my interview. Called the office and got the status changed. Funny, the actual approval email didn't come through for 3 more days after that. My card arrived yesterday, which was roughly 10 business days after the interview.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:40 pm

I knows its been talked about before its just saw another announcement from YYZ. NEXUS Enrolment Centre temporarily moving from T1 to Convair Dr.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, Delta, American
Originally Posted by chrisgwins
Reading this forum, I think the same day approval email is not the norm anymore. Maybe there was a software update for the officers. Who knows. I was "interview scheduled" status for a week after my interview. Called the office and got the status changed. Funny, the actual approval email didn't come through for 3 more days after that. My card arrived yesterday, which was roughly 10 business days after the interview.
I would agree with you that it has changed! Thanks for the update. I guess I'll just wait for the card then. Have been waiting on this for so long and wasn't sure if I'd get it so, guess I'm just excited!
Old May 18, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum
As a data point for people coming up on their interview, my letter said bring my passport OR birth certificate. I was asked 3 times for my birth certificate at the interview (even though I had my passport). I told everyone who asked me for it (check-in person, US CBP and Canadian CBP), the letter said OR, not AND. I was told that the letter is a known problem, and was asked to bring my birth cert with me the next time I rolled through YVR so they could "check it off" the list.

Thought it was interesting, I was approved and have my card without showing the BC, just good for everyone to know they really wanted to see a BC too...

*My processing time was quick, I already had GE, conditional approval was March 2016, interview was May 2016 and NEXUS card received 7 days after interview.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:01 am

Cool

I applied for my Nexus mid April, 2016 and the payment was taken from my credit card on April 27. It's now May 20th and I still haven't received a letter of approval or denial yet. Can I sign up for a GOES account without my memberID number to check the status of my Nexus application?
Old May 20, 2016, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Big DeBieski
I applied for my Nexus mid April, 2016 and the payment was taken from my credit card on April 27. It's now May 20th and I still haven't received a letter of approval or denial yet. Can I sign up for a GOES account without my memberID number to check the status of my Nexus application?
You should give them a call to see if you are conditionally approved so you can get the ID required to sign up for GOES and schedule for your appointment. The letter comes rather slowly so it's much faster to call them.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
GE to Nexus Without Interviewing

My wife and I both had GE accounts expiring in 3/17 and 12/16, respectively. Since we will be moving to Canada in 2018, we decided to get Nexus in place of GE for the renewal, even though we have AMEX Platinum and Citi Prestige cards we could have used for a GE fee credit. Since we live in the DC area, away from Nexus enrollment centers, I booked a trip to Seattle for late May (we leave this Saturday) thinking that we’d have our conditional approvals by before then. We also have family in SEA, and were planning on traveling out there around this time anyway. We both applied on 4/23, So I was surprised when we received emails from CBP on 5/2 advising us that our Nexus applications were approved, not just conditionally approved. Since I couldn’t find anything online about GE members switching to Nexus without an interview, I called the CBP help line, and they confirmed that we didn’t have to interview. We’ve both already received our Nexus cards in the mail. We’ll do our iris scans in a couple years when we move to Vancouver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.