Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11


Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

So, I applied and paid for my NEXUS application online. GOES told me to check back every few days to find out when my appointment is set.

Here are my questions:

1) How long does it usually take to get the appointment?

2) Do I have any leeway in setting the appointment? I live in L.A. and am in Canada about once a month, so I would prefer to set the appointment during one of those trips.

3) Related to 1 and 2. I will be up in about 2 weeks. Will it be possible to get an appointment in Toronto by then?
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:52 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Posts: 451
It took me 3 months to get my appointment, but have had a few friends go to the Nexus office as a stand by and hope that a few people have forgotten their appointments. It worked for some of them, but not all. Good luck
weather is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:32 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
Originally Posted by weather
It took me 3 months to get my appointment, but have had a few friends go to the Nexus office as a stand by and hope that a few people have forgotten their appointments. It worked for some of them, but not all. Good luck
I applied online. Can I still do a walk up? One thing to note is I'm coming from the US side, so it will be the Canadians doing my interview. My girlfriend, a Canadian, said it took here a few weeks, but a few years ago when applications were heavy.

Also, am I able to set the time and place?
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:42 am
  #4  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,509
Originally Posted by N1120A
I applied online. Can I still do a walk up?
You can try, but they'll tell you to make an appointment.

Originally Posted by N1120A
One thing to note is I'm coming from the US side, so it will be the Canadians doing my interview.
Actually, there will be someone from CBP to interview you as well as someone from the CBSA.

Originally Posted by N1120A
My girlfriend, a Canadian, said it took here a few weeks, but a few years ago when applications were heavy.
Not sure anything has changed. I believe that the 'wait time' is still a few weeks at airport locations.

Originally Posted by N1120A
Also, am I able to set the time and place?
Yes and you have to schedule online. You can also do your interview in Seattle if you find yourself there; they usually have a much shorter wait.
Ari is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:00 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
Originally Posted by Ari
You can try, but they'll tell you to make an appointment.



Actually, there will be someone from CBP to interview you as well as someone from the CBSA.



Not sure anything has changed. I believe that the 'wait time' is still a few weeks at airport locations.



Yes and you have to schedule online. You can also do your interview in Seattle if you find yourself there; they usually have a much shorter wait.
1) Is the CBP interview mostly perfunctory?

2) The only places close to the border I plan on being are in BUF and SW Ontario. Basically, IAG/YYZ/BUF are the options. Anyone know which is the fastest?
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:04 am
  #6  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,509
Originally Posted by N1120A
1) Is the CBP interview mostly perfunctory?
Neither was very long for me.

Originally Posted by N1120A
2) The only places close to the border I plan on being are in BUF and SW Ontario. Basically, IAG/YYZ/BUF are the options. Anyone know which is the fastest?
Why not wait for your conditional approval and then use the online scheduling feature to see for yourself what appointments are available at each location and when.
Ari is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:34 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
Originally Posted by Ari
Neither was very long for me.



Why not wait for your conditional approval and then use the online scheduling feature to see for yourself what appointments are available at each location and when.
1) My GF (Canadian) said her interview took all of 2 minutes. I'm guessing my Middle Eastern name is going to get me profiled a plenty, despite 5 straight years of elite status and the trust of the State Bar of California.

2) Yes, I should wait for that, but it is more fun to bug you guys. Any clue how long conditional approval usually takes?
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:51 pm
  #8  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,509
Originally Posted by N1120A
1) My GF (Canadian) said her interview took all of 2 minutes. I'm guessing my Middle Eastern name is going to get me profiled a plenty, despite 5 straight years of elite status and the trust of the State Bar of California.

2) Yes, I should wait for that, but it is more fun to bug you guys. Any clue how long conditional approval usually takes?
10 days max if there is no problem, IMO.
Ari is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:16 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 200
I had to wait about 3 weeks or so, but I was fairly selective when I wanted to do the appointment. The interview was pretty short, but they spend several minutes advising you of the responsibility to update information, etc.
jjwjjw is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:06 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
Not that anyone cares, but approval came through today and I was able to schedule for next Friday. Thanks for all the help
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1 AU
Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Posts: 2,707
Originally Posted by N1120A
Not that anyone cares, but approval came through today and I was able to schedule for next Friday. Thanks for all the help
interesting. I am in the same boat, as I applied Sunday and haven't heard yet. Hopefully in the next couple days then. I thought the turnaround times would be closer to that for GE, but 10 days isn't too bad.
Mr. Bean is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:19 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
interesting. I am in the same boat, as I applied Sunday and haven't heard yet. Hopefully in the next couple days then. I thought the turnaround times would be closer to that for GE, but 10 days isn't too bad.
Yeah, it wasn't bad at all. I just wish YYZ would have had an earlier appointment, because we're now going to spend the night in Niagara Falls before I interview at the IAG center at the Whirlpool Bridge.
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:18 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YVR
Posts: 2
My wife, my son, and I applied online on Jan 6. On Jan 14 my son's and my application were conditionally approved. Still waiting for my wife's. Not sure why it's taking longer but it's not like it has been a long wait by any means. Going to do the 2 interviews later this week and hopefully hers is approved in the meantime and she can get in for the interview too.
ruffdeezy is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:44 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,831
For those who have both, can I apply for Global Entry now or should I wait till after the NEXUS interview?
N1120A is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1 AU
Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Posts: 2,707
Originally Posted by N1120A
For those who have both, can I apply for Global Entry now or should I wait till after the NEXUS interview?
I presume you should apply after you get approved for NEXUS, since you won't have to pay an extra fee. Also, it seems that approval for GE is then same-day from most accounts.
Mr. Bean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.