Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
4- well, that would be due to some geographical dyslexia in that I was basing those other potential stops on the location of Buenos Aires (EZE) rather than Rio ... while the final stop could actually have been EZE, Sao Paolo (GRU) makes much more sense
4. Correct! Although this flight served another airport in the general vicinity of Sao Paulo. Here's the sched....

EP 97: Los Angeles (LAX) 08:00 - 13:15 Acapulco (ACA) 14:00 - 20:00 Lima (LIM) 21:00 - 03:45+1 Sao Paulo Viracopos (VCP) 04:30 - 05:15 Rio de Janeiro Galeao (GIG)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack followed by Lunch LAX-ACA, Snack ACA-LIM, Dinner LIM-VCP
Equip: Convair 990A Fan Jet
Notes: No local traffic LAX-ACA & VCP-GIG; flt. no. chg. at LIM from EP 97 to EP 97-A

BTW, it appears that Viracopos Airport (VCP), which is located about 65 miles / 104 kilometers from the center of Sao Paulo, lost most of its traffic when Guarulhos Airport (GRU) opened in 1985. GRU is located about 15 miles / 25 kilometers from the center of Sao Paulo. VCP is primarily used for domestic flights within Brazil as well as all-cargo flights at the present time.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 9, 2020 at 3:19 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by jlemon
17. Please guess again, sir!
So, since no one else is guessing I'll keep at it. I'm going to keep with the Dutch theme and suggest the next stop was Aruba (AUA).
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Greetings and felicitations from chilly Alaska. Well - at night at least. We've recently had our first frost and down in Denali it snowed recently at elevations above 2000'. A picture in the local paper showed that someone had built an impressive snowman at Eielson Visitor Center - probably Bart or WeeBee - the custodians for the building. As for me, a recent house sitting gig down in Healy took me out of the action insofar as internet activity goes, so it's good to get back home and check in. I see the action has been fast and furious - as expected with a set of jlemon's questions. Let's have a go at this one...

17. It's 1984 and you are back in Belem in Brazil. This time you are headed to Miami and have found an interesting connecting service which is offered on a weekly basis with both flights being operated by the same airline. These flights are also operated with the same equipment with this aircraft being configured with 20 seats in first class. You book seats in first, of course. Your first flight will make one stop en route to the connecting airport where you will be on the ground for one hour and five minutes. Your second flight will also make one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment. The airline was Surinam Airways and the aircraft was a DC8-62. The first flight made an intermediate stop in Cayenne and the connection was made at Paramaribo. Still looking for the intermediate stop made by the second flight which wasn't GEO, POS, AUA or CUR.

Surinam Airways' DC-8s always stood out wheneever I'd check inbound flights to Miami. Indeed , if I'm correct I believe I've posed this last stop as a question before. To wit, I believe the stop we're looking for is Port Au Prince
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
So, since no one else is guessing I'll keep at it. I'm going to keep with the Dutch theme and suggest the next stop was Aruba (AUA).
17. Ah, we have already ruled out Aruba....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 11, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Greetings and felicitations from chilly Alaska. Well - at night at least. We've recently had our first frost and down in Denali it snowed recently at elevations above 2000'. A picture in the local paper showed that someone had built an impressive snowman at Eielson Visitor Center - probably Bart or WeeBee - the custodians for the building. As for me, a recent house sitting gig down in Healy took me out of the action insofar as internet activity goes, so it's good to get back home and check in. I see the action has been fast and furious - as expected with a set of jlemon's questions. Let's have a go at this one...

17. It's 1984 and you are back in Belem in Brazil. This time you are headed to Miami and have found an interesting connecting service which is offered on a weekly basis with both flights being operated by the same airline. These flights are also operated with the same equipment with this aircraft being configured with 20 seats in first class. You book seats in first, of course. Your first flight will make one stop en route to the connecting airport where you will be on the ground for one hour and five minutes. Your second flight will also make one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment. The airline was Surinam Airways and the aircraft was a DC8-62. The first flight made an intermediate stop in Cayenne and the connection was made at Paramaribo. Still looking for the intermediate stop made by the second flight which wasn't GEO, POS, AUA or CUR.

Surinam Airways' DC-8s always stood out wheneever I'd check inbound flights to Miami. Indeed , if I'm correct I believe I've posed this last stop as a question before. To wit, I believe the stop we're looking for is Port Au Prince
17. Yep! Here are the scheds.....

PY 746: Belem (BEL) 07:30 - 08:55 Cayenne (CAY) 09:40 - 10:25 Paramaribo (PBM)
Freq: Fridays only
Meal service: Breakfast BEL-CAY
Equip: DC8-62

Connecting to.....

PY 753: Paramaribo (PBM) 11:30 - 14:00 Port au Prince (PAP) 14:30 (est.) 16:25 Miami (MIA)
Freq: Fridays only
Meal service: Lunch PBM-PAP
Equip: DC8-62
Note: No local traffic PAP-MIA

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 11, 2020 at 3:14 pm Reason: added note
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. It's 1975. You have been enjoying an extended cruise on the Amazon River in Brazil and are now in Belem. It's been a great adventure but business calls and that means a trip to Paris. You've found a very convenient connecting service operated twice a week involving two airlines which actually appears in the timetable of the first air carrier you will fly with from Belem. Your first flight will be nonstop to the airport where the connection will be made with 90 minutes on the ground. And your second flight will be nonstop as well. Identify both air carriers, the connecting city and the different aircraft types operated on each flight.
Last call for the above! And should there be no takers, I'll provide the answer later today and also submit a set of additional new quiz questions.

And now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 12, 2020 at 8:14 am Reason: answer update
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7. It's 1975. You have been enjoying an extended cruise on the Amazon River in Brazil and are now in Belem. It's been a great adventure but business calls and that means a trip to Paris. You've found a very convenient connecting service operated twice a week involving two airlines which actually appears in the timetable of the first air carrier you will fly with from Belem. Your first flight will be nonstop to the airport where the connection will be made with 90 minutes on the ground. And your second flight will be nonstop as well. Identify both air carriers, the connecting city and the different aircraft types operated on each flight.
7- let's take a run at this ... Belem is near the mouth of the Amazon on the northeast coast of Brazil, so on the basis of geography I doubt we would be looking at a connecting point outside of Brazil ... this implies quite strongly that the airlines in question are Cruzeiro do Sul and Air France, as I can't really imagine a Varig or VASP timetable showing a competitor's TATL service; I'll posit a Caravelle connecting in Rio to a 747
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7- let's take a run at this ... Belem is near the mouth of the Amazon on the northeast coast of Brazil, so on the basis of geography I doubt we would be looking at a connecting point outside of Brazil ... this implies quite strongly that the airlines in question are Cruzeiro do Sul and Air France, as I can't really imagine a Varig or VASP timetable showing a competitor's TATL service; I'll posit a Caravelle connecting in Rio to a 747
7. All correct except for the connecting city which wasn't Rio de Janeiro. And the connecting city in question was not located in Brazil.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are ten more. As always, please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And please be specific as possible with regard to aircraft types. When in doubt, let the OAG equipment codes be your guide.

The time line for the following five quiz items is 1989.....

21. If you wanted to fly from Zurich (ZRH) to Berlin Tegel (TXL) on board a B727-100 at this time, you could do so five days a week with the flight in question not operating on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This service also made one intermediate stop en route from ZRH to TXL. Name the airline and the stop. ANSWERED

22. You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. The airline was Pan Am and the connection was made at JFK. The equipment on the first flight wasn't a 747. The equipment on the second flight was a B727-200. The stop made by the second flight wasn't DTW or ORD.

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 at this time, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS?

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. It wasn't Canadian or Air Nova and the equipment wasn't a B737-200, DHC-8 Dash 8 or BAe 146. The aircraft was a jet and the stop was made at Montreal Dorval (YUL).

25. If you wanted to fly into Beijing (PEK) on board a BAC One-Eleven, you could do so once a week. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the city it originated from.

26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. It wasn't TWA and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. The air carrier in question was a new startup operating a mainline jet aircraft type larger than a D9S.

27. It's still 1996 and you are on your way in first class from Anchorage (ANC) to Denver (DEN) on board a flight which operates six days a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

28. Now it's 1999 and you need to fly from Kansas City (MCI) to Toronto (YYZ) as early as possible. Ah, here's a flight which make one stop en route with a breakfast snack being served. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

29. In 2002 this air carrier was operating a four engine jet on international services which was configured with three different classes of service, being first, business and economy. First class was configured with two seats on each side of the cabin (2-2 seating layout) while business class was configured with three seats on each side of the cabin (3-3 seating layout). Identify this jet and the airline that operated it.

30. What airline based in Latin America was still operating the BAC One-Eleven in 2002?

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 20, 2020 at 9:54 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7- hmmmmmmm ... BEL-XXX-CDG, XXX not in Brazil but served by Cruzeiro ... a couple questions back we went from BEL to Cayenne/CAY — which, being in French Guiana, is certainly a logical place for a 2x/week service to Paris
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1989) 22. You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight.
22- I can only recall two airlines that might have served both SLC and NAS at this point in time ... and they might well have operated the same two equipment types, albeit not in the same sequence

I’ll start the guesswork with Delta, operating a Lockheed L-1011 to Atlanta/ATL and connecting to a 727-200 that stopped at ... hmmmmmm ... easily seven or eight possibilities here; how about Kansas City/MCI
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:37 am

21. If you wanted to fly from Zurich (ZRH) to Berlin Tegel (TXL) on board a B727-100 at this time, you could do so five days a week with the flight in question not operating on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This service also made one intermediate stop en route from ZRH to TXL. Name the airline and the stop.
Trans World [TW] with a stop in Frankfurt/FRA.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BA
Right over the top of Chateau WHBM at 1,700 feet, TWO 1940s De Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapides in close formation . G-AIYR and one other.

Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7- hmmmmmmm ... BEL-XXX-CDG, XXX not in Brazil but served by Cruzeiro ... a couple questions back we went from BEL to Cayenne/CAY — which, being in French Guiana, is certainly a logical place for a 2x/week service to Paris
7. Correct! Here are the scheds.....

SC 110: Belem (BEL) 16:15 - 17:45 Cayenne (CAY)
Freq: Tuesdays and Fridays only
Service class: Y
Equip: Caravelle

Connecting to.....

AF 226: Cayenne (CAY) 20:15 - 13:25+1 Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
Freq: Tuesdays and Fridays only
Equip: 747
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22- I can only recall two airlines that might have served both SLC and NAS at this point in time ... and they might well have operated the same two equipment types, albeit not in the same sequence

I’ll start the guesswork with Delta, operating a Lockheed L-1011 to Atlanta/ATL and connecting to a 727-200 that stopped at ... hmmmmmm ... easily seven or eight possibilities here; how about Kansas City/MCI
22. It wasn't Delta, the aircraft operated on the first flight wasn't an L-1011 and the connection wasn't made in Atlanta.

However, you have correctly guessed the equipment operated on the second flight, being a B727-200. But the second flight did not make an intermediate stop in Kansas City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.