Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
As of yesterday around 4pm, I'm a SPG Amex card-holder (not physicially though). Couldn't pass up the points!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
I signed up for the Personal card with the 10k + 15k bonus offer back in March. Thanks to tips in this thread I requested the 5k difference with this offer for myself and my GF's account and got them!

I also applied for a business card with this 30k offer and received the 14-day message. I decided to call this morning and was told they had some sort of internal problem where the application went to a different department to be fixed....whatever that means. He said they should get to it in the next 3-4 days. 30 minutes later I missed a phone call from AMEX then received an e-mail requesting the following:

-Business Phone Number
-Home Phone Number
-Home Address Verification

Before I had a chance to call in I received another e-mail stating it was APPROVED. I verified this online and via a phone call. Not sure what all happened but I'm happy with the end result.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The App page itself is still alive. Dont know if this would work with AMEX though.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Just applied and got instantly approved. They even gave the option to generate an immediate card number to use at SPG.com until the actual card arrives.

The application page still said 30k so hopefully they will honor it. I did take a screen shot. ^
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: HH diamond
Got my business card approval after 2 days (had the 14-day wait notice initially).
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Very Nice! Enjoy!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: most of them
My application status was listed as "In Process" for over a week. But I just made the phone call and after a couple of minutes was approved. Pretty low credit limit to start with but enough I suppose. :-)
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:28 pm

Question for SkinsFan & Brian D

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Just a datapoint FYI: I sent a secure message to AMEX requesting that they credit my account with the difference between my promotion (the 10k bonus + 15k bonus for $15k spend) and the current promotion (5k points) because my spending on the card would have certainly met the criteria and the CSR told me that 5k points would be credited within 3-5 days.

YMMV for sure, but it worked for me...
Quote:
Brian_D I signed up for the Personal card with the 10k + 15k bonus offer back in March. Thanks to tips in this thread I requested the 5k difference with this offer for myself and my GF's account and got them!

Hi Skinsfan (and Brian D): Thanks for your information. I called Amex, as did Brian D. My 10 +15K bonus card was issued March 27th. The CSR told me since it was more than 60 days since the card was approved, they could not credit me the difference between the 2 card offers (by the way, I applied for the 30K but was declined because I'd received a card "too recently"). Skinsfans, can you tell me when your card was issued. I have already spent 15K on my card, so it's not a matter that I would not have easily met the criteria for the new card. Is there something different you guys told them that made a difference?

Any advice is appreciated. 5K points is nothing to sneeze at!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by BMWPSU99
I called AMEX and they told me if I wanted the offer, to cancel my current card (4 days ago I was approved and it hasn't even shown up yet) and then reapply if I wanted this new 30,000 offer. They do not have the ability to switch your offer after you apply. Ugh, now have to decide if the credit score hit is worth the extra points.
Update: I got them to make up the difference in points and didn't have to cancel in the first place. At first, they wanted to meet me in the middle but with some more polite requests, they applied the full difference to equal the 30,000 offer. I appreciate their ability to work with me on this.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 pm

The canadian SPG Amex BITES. 10,000 points, i dont think so I have a US card instead. Cant do a US Business though so 1 out of 2 would suffice.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by orknot2be
Quote:
Brian_D I signed up for the Personal card with the 10k + 15k bonus offer back in March. Thanks to tips in this thread I requested the 5k difference with this offer for myself and my GF's account and got them!

Hi Skinsfan (and Brian D): Thanks for your information. I called Amex, as did Brian D. My 10 +15K bonus card was issued March 27th. The CSR told me since it was more than 60 days since the card was approved, they could not credit me the difference between the 2 card offers (by the way, I applied for the 30K but was declined because I'd received a card "too recently"). Skinsfans, can you tell me when your card was issued. I have already spent 15K on my card, so it's not a matter that I would not have easily met the criteria for the new card. Is there something different you guys told them that made a difference?

My card was issued to me in December or January, I don't remember which. Either way, it was several months before March 27th, which they tell you is too long ago.

I'd suggest sending a secure message. I didn't say/do anything special, I just asked them if they could credit me with the difference since I signed up for it only about 6 months ago and I would've more than met the criteria to get the 30k points.

If a secure message (or a call to another CSR) doesn't work, it may just be a case of them doing it while the offer was open, but since it's closed now, they're not giving out the difference anymore. No idea, just a guess...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
After waiting six days for approval I finally called today to see what was the holdup. Low quality call from around the world being recorded with indian csr made it very difficult to understand anything said. Outcome: no questions asked other than verification I was the account holder, about 30 sec of awkard pause, and congratulations your approved.

So, everyone that applied for business card with 14 day msg should call asap. Now why couldn't they have just approved us from the start?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by orknot2be

I think it just depends on who responds. I sent a secure message for both requests:

myself - 1st request no points, polite response requesting again and received the full 5,000.

girlfriend - 1st request 3,000 points; polite response requesting the additional 2,000 and received them.

So each one took me two requests but eventually got 5,000 on both. Every response came from a different individual.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum and lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Finally got my business SPG card!

I applied on July 1st and got the 14 day response. I called today to find out the status of my app and was instantly approved! Not a huge credit line, but I am pleased with the 30,000 bonus....yay!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:57 pm

Since people are calling to get the business card approved... I just called and after the long pause... was told to keep waiting. They're still processing applications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.