Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Okto
Everyone considering Mint purchases, check out this thread in the AMEX forum and then decide how comfortable you are pushing your luck:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...off-cards.html
That's because the OP did exactly that - they pushed their luck. Cards were maxed out and they did huge transactions in rapid succession that Amex identified as quasi-cash.

If you are not maxing out your card and are buying coins along with normal purchases, it's really none of Amex' business and any attempt by them to harass you should be met with intense escalation on the part of the cardmember. The magic phrase is demanding to speak with the team "SDL" (service delivery leader).

Needless to say, an Amex card is probably the last option I would use for any 'mileage earning' schemes - their nastiness is balanced only by sheer incompetence, and I speak as someone who consulted for them years ago.

My favorite Amex story is about management staffer who roared into work one day and resigned (then went to a competitor) because his card was cut off without warning or reason while in the middle of shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and his own team refused to re-activate it. Arbitrary account cutoffs for nonsensical reasons are quite common with them - and when you call in, you're likely talking to someone with a high school education, earning $9/hr who doesn't know their right foot from their left unless you are a high balance customer (and that team knows most of their regular customers quite well) or are referred to the criminal-fraud team.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:41 pm

There is a thread at FW for some ideas
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
FWIW, my wife and I both applied for the business card about a week ago, got emails notifying us that we'd been approved a few days later, and just got the cards via UPS today.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Well, I've had AMEX contact me about my mint purchases and threaten that if I continued to use it for mint purchases, it may be canceled. Since I like my AMEX cards (specifically the SPG personal that I was using for these purchasese), I decided to go other routes to get my spending.

I had the conversation w/the CSR who called me and told her that she shouldn't care one way or the other because they get paid the same amount no matter what I'm buying. Plus, if they have an issue with me using my card at an AMEX approved merchant, perhaps they should take it up with them, not me, their "valued" customer.

Then I argued that I don't always buy dollar coins (which is 100% true) and how can she tell me that I can't use my AMEX for buying silver & gold coins when all the transactions post as the same description. That has been "fixed" though. lol Now, they show up as specifically dollar coin purchases.

Moral of the story is that AMEX contacted me out of the blue and told me that I can't keep using my cards for mint purchases or my cards may be canceled. And I wasn't exactly charging at "mrpickels" levels either. I was doing about $5k/month.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Moral of the story is that AMEX contacted me out of the blue and told me that I can't keep using my cards for mint purchases or my cards may be canceled. And I wasn't exactly charging at "mrpickels" levels either. I was doing about $5k/month.
What was the total amount of other purchases?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I know the date was thru 7/6/2010 but the original link still takes me to the app page with 30,000 offer.

Family member I mentioned this too just called me and wants to sign up.

I read back a few pages.
I just found this thread and wondered the same thing.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Well, I was doing about $5k/month combined on two AMEX cards at the time and my other spending was much less than that... probably around $2k/month. Plus, this was only for about 2 or 3 months ($10k - $15k total) before they called and threatened. I then found other ways to get the coins and still use the same card, but they have since cut me off from that too. haha

So, I do know that it was a high percentage, but I certainly was much less than many people on here do, that's for sure and it wasn't over an extended period of time either.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by AA Novice
I just found this thread and wondered the same thing.
Take screen shots and give it a try...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:14 pm

I then found other ways to get the coins and still use the same card.................
Was it PayPal?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
D'oh! I have been thinking about a Starwoods credit card and just missed this. Well now I know to keep my eyes open for a better offer than the "usual" hopefully in the near future...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Trustguy
Take screen shots and give it a try...
Think I will.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Was it PayPal?
lol no, not at a cost of 3%
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by AA Novice
Think I will.
Won't actually help your case. The offer page has "expires 7/6/2010" on it. So if you applied after that date, the page supports SPG not giving the offer to you.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold
the business cards are coming in

I applied July 1 for 2 SPG Business cards for myself and on July 4 for one for my husband. July 9 I got an email saying DH's had been approved and was coming in the mail. I got another email July 9 saying check the status page for my apps. When I checked it said one business card had been approved and one app had been canceled. When I got home form work both my husband's and my business cards were there via UPS letter.

I called to explain that the 2 bus apps were for 2 different businesses with different EIN's. But they were confused and think it's a duplicate. I'm not going to push my luck and press for the second bus card.

Monday I will pay bills at my business and have the spend on all 3 cards taken care of. Sweet.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:20 am

lol no, not at a cost of 3%
Please do let us know.......suspense is killing me ............and I want to sleep tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.