Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:57 am

Approved yesterday (personal).

I had been given the 14 day followup instead of instant approval and I got an email overnight asking me to call and confirm home address/home phone/business address.

Looks like the issue came in that I don't have a landline in my name and my current home address is not the address on my other CC and at least a few of my banks (and the number I gave them was google voice which is probably not tied to a name).

Luckily they were able to confirm my business address by calling them back with my office phone (even though the business number I gave them was the main receptionist line)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:14 am

I currently have Costco AMEX. Can I apply this card while having placed a freeze with all three bureaus? If not, which one should I lift the freeze?

Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by needmomile
I currently have Costco AMEX. Can I apply this card while having placed a freeze with all three bureaus? If not, which one should I lift the freeze?

Thanks.
Call Amex and find out. To apply 1-800-223-2670

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...d94RCRD&page=1

Read posts 463 & 465.

"When a security freeze is in place at all three major credit reporting agencies, a consumer's credit report and credit score cannot be shared with potential creditors or other persons considering opening new accounts unless the consumer decides to unlock the file by contacting a consumer reporting agency and providing a PIN or password."

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...es/005081.html

Last edited by mathfaster; Jul 16, 2010 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plat; *Wood Gold
Applied Thursday morning. Instant approval and already received the card today. Called in to verify my activation in the program. Easy peasy.

Quite different than my previous experience with the AMEX Starwood card. Travel every other week and stayed primarily in Starwood brand hotels but tried for a card twice in last 6 years and rejected both times.

Credit score over 850 on all three major bureaus. Very strong credit history and was able to secure home jumbo loans at 4.5% at a time 99% of jumboa loan requests were rejected BUT there is a person in my city with the same name and age, same race & gender, born near same dates and low credit score but different SSN. For some reason, AMEX could never separate us, even with escalation to exec offices. Sigh.

Gave up on AMEX & Starwood three years ago but on a whim decided to try. Glad I did. Bummed that I just came back from a 10-day stay at the Westin in Cape Town, South Africa and didn't have the card at the time. You win some, you lose some.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by teammjs
It shows up as a "normal" Walgreen's transaction. Even when you go online at Amex and pull down the details of the transaction (of which there is basically none except the location of the store). Even if giftcards were excluded from the T&C, Amex wouldn't be able to track and exclude the Visa gift card part of the purchase.
Thanks. That is what I was curious about whether Amex would know it is a gift card purchase or not.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bonk
Just received letter from AmEx last week saying if I'd "like to adjust the distribution of credit limits between cards" to call them.
That's surprising, because I tried over the phone a few weeks ago and was told by two different people that they don't do it anymore.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Credit score over 850 on all three major bureaus. Very strong credit history...
I think if my FICO was over 850, I'd be on the speaker's circuit now. Either that, or serving time... oh, Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Credit score over 850 on all three major bureaus.
Since that's impossible, I think we'll need to take this post with a grain of salt...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:25 pm

...........BUT there is a person in my city with the same name and age, same race & gender, born near same dates and low credit score but different SSN. For some reason, AMEX could never separate us....................
............ OR maybe you have a split personality.......................

Me, Myself & Amex
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
I think if my FICO was over 850, I'd be on the speaker's circuit now. Either that, or serving time...
He joined FlyerTalk in Nov 2007 and this is his FIRST post............makes me wonder where he went after joining FT
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
E-mail From AMEX

I applied the other day and just got my approval via e-mail today.

A prior post asked about moving credit between cards. So, below is part of the e-mail from AMEX.

...Included in your Welcome Package is the credit limit on your new card. When we assigned the credit limit on your new card we considered the credit limit on your existing American Express cards. If you would like to adjust the distribution of your credit limits between your cards, please call the number on the back of your card once you have received your card. One of our representatives will be happy to help you...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
I applied the other day and just got my approval via e-mail today.

A prior post asked about moving credit between cards. So, below is part of the e-mail from AMEX.

...Included in your Welcome Package is the credit limit on your new card. When we assigned the credit limit on your new card we considered the credit limit on your existing American Express cards. If you would like to adjust the distribution of your credit limits between your cards, please call the number on the back of your card once you have received your card. One of our representatives will be happy to help you...

I never got this email or a letter saying the same. I cancelled my DL skymiles card which had $50000 limit . However no one would transfer the credit limit on my new Starwood from current $5000 saying that I was not invited to do the credit transfer .. Ridiculous !!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:34 pm

I applied and got the *wood personal card about 2 weeks ago. I now plan to apply for the biz card since the bonus offer is back. Does anyone know if I can have both my cards registered to the same Starwood rewards number or do I have to create a separate one for the 2nd Amex card?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, faztcobra!

Originally Posted by faztcobra
Does anyone know if I can have both my cards registered to the same Starwood rewards number
No problem. You'll find a very large number of people on this forum already do that.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat; *Wood Gold
Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
He joined FlyerTalk in Nov 2007 and this is his FIRST post............makes me wonder where he went after joining FT

Hah. Typo. Meant 750.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.