Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
5 of your 8 posts have asked the exact same question.

Bonus points will, in all probability, post at the same time as the spending points.
With AMEX, it does not always happen this way. More often than not, bonus posted after the 2nd billing cycle.

For some reasons, AMEX bonuses always seem to require a battle to get it post on time as promised. (as versus the automatic process from Citi / Chase / BofA).

I have had incidents that bonuses not posted even after 2nd billing cycle and the CSRs eventually did manual "push" to make that happen. No explanation was given why it did not automatically post other than they could see the bonuses were "there" but "stuck" in the "pipeline". They do have ability to release bonuses mid-cycle if the bonuses are already there.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
I was approved for the personal; Mrs. Boomdog was approved for both the personal and the business (the business was initially on a 14 day wait and approved today). No calls were placed.

I had heard that you can't apply for 2 amex within 90 days; this time it worked for Mrs. B.

90,000 SPG, woohoo...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Just got the approval for the business card six days after the 14 day notice. YIPPEEE
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:54 pm

Datapoint:
Just got approved for Biz card.
Applied on July 3rd.
No phone call was made.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
The cards from this promotion came really fast. My mom's was here overnight. When I applied for SPG Amex back in April, it took a good long week to get here.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Datapoint:
Just got approved for Biz card.
Applied on July 3rd.
No phone call was made.
Thanks ShakuniMama.

Thanks for sharing the insights gained here with those of us in the FatWallet Finance forum.

You've been very helpful to many of us.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:48 pm

Any tricks on spending $1000 on each card within 3 months? That would be $4000 for 4 cards (2 per spouse). Terms and conditions received with the card say gift cards and gift certificates are not eligible
I do not have a need for high value items like TV etc. If buying coins, how would one sell it back with minimal loss?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by spid4me
Any tricks on spending $1000 on each card within 3 months? That would be $4000 for 4 cards (2 per spouse). Terms and conditions received with the card say gift cards and gift certificates are not eligible
I do not have a need for high value items like TV etc. If buying coins, how would one sell it back with minimal loss?
That's about $1333/month... probably not too hard to hit if you shift all your everyday spend on the SPG cards (groceries, gas, restaurant meals, coffee shops, clothing, entertainment, etc). If that's not enough, how about buying store gift cards at Target or Home Depot? I realize T&C's state that gift cards are not eligible, but I think that refers to Visa/AMEX gift cards. The store gift cards should look like a store purchase (at least mine have always appeared like that in my statement).

Buying coins could work, but I believe you're risking future problems with AMEX.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:49 pm

Thanks for reply. Yes, I am going to try as much real spending as posible. Just in case, run into last minute shortfall, this would come in handy.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
UPS just delivered my Business card (applied and approved Tuesday afternoon).
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
You could use it to buy Hyatt Gift Certificates at Costco stores at 20% off face value while they last :-)

(And AMEX is, conveniently, the only credit card Costco stores accept.)

On a related note, does anyone else find it amusing that you get a 3% statement credit for using the small business Starwood AMEX at Hyatt hotels and a 5% credit for using it at Marriott's select-service brands, but no discount at Starwood properties? You'd think Starwood would have negotiated with AMEX to have the discounts at competitors removed from benefits on the Starwood business card.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merrickdb
On a related note, does anyone else find it amusing that you get a 3% statement credit for using the small business Starwood AMEX at Hyatt hotels and a 5% credit for using it at Marriott's select-service brands, but no discount at Starwood properties? You'd think Starwood would have negotiated with AMEX to have the discounts at competitors removed from benefits on the Starwood business card.
I'm sure it's just different departments at Amex that have no contact with each other. The affinity division is one thing, and the OPEN people are totally separate, I'm pretty sure.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:55 pm

I am paying my car insurance in advance as well as buying Staples Gift cards which I will use to buy FAR items from staples to convert them back into cash (I'll make profit with the use of coupons).
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:28 pm

Marry my wife. She'll get you over the limit easily.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ddsohn
Anybody get their biz card yet? If so, how was it delivered?
UPS overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.