Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mfinn
SkinsFan0521 -At the time you sent your secure message, had your 15K bonus *points (for the $15K spend) already posted to your SPG account? The reason I'm asking is that I want to try doing what you did (brilliant move ^@:-)) to obtain the 5K difference. However, in my case, the 15K bonus *points have not yet posted (I recently met the $15K spend threshold). I'm not sure if I should wait until the 15K *point bonus post to my SPG account before sending my secure message or if I should just go ahead now and send it. I don't want to do anything that might delay the process any more than it already takes. (Amex wrote me that it can take 8-12 weeks for the 15K *point bonus to post after meeting the $15K spend requirement.) I'm just afraid I might "muddy the waters" if I send a request for the extra 5K while I'm waiting for the 15K.
My 15k bonus points had already posted, but just a couple weeks ago. I met the spend threshold in June and they took about a week to post after my normal statement points did.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:33 am

Just checked the status of my applications. Was told that due to the holiday the approval process will take a bit longer and should call back on Thursday.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:51 am

I was approved for the personal card first thing Friday morning and now I'm anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. I'm jealous of all of you who got yours prior to the holiday!

By the way, thanks gsch for starting this thread. I'd been waiting for a good promotion for this card for quite some time. ^
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:34 am

My data point

details here

I was previously a Starwood Biz cardholder back in 2007. I closed the card on August 18, 2008 (just shy of 24 months ago).

I applied for the personal card on 7/1/2010. They pulled Experian where I have a hard CHASE inquiry and a couple mortgage apps w/in past 6 months. Roughly 2% utilization.

I still await their decision...

edit: I was approved via an email notification on 7/8/2010.

Last edited by jackcrawfish; Jul 8, 2010 at 11:10 am Reason: updated status of application
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SkinsFan0521 -

Gotta thank you for the thought. I put in a message to Amex asking to move me over to this new promotion also (I'm still in the $15K bonus phase) and while they didn't move me over, they're giving me 5K points.

Nice!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I'm still waiting for a 14-day decision on the biz card like everybody else. Has anybody tried calling for status on their business card application?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
I'm still waiting for a 14-day decision on the biz card like everybody else. Has anybody tried calling for status on their business card application?
https://www201.americanexpress.com/e...e.jsp?us_nu=dd
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum - almost to Gold Status for Life
Is no one else who applied for the personal card worried about the Terms and Conditions?

"1. To be eligible, Cardmember must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases to the Starwood Preferred Guest (Business) Credit Card during the first three months of Cardmembership."

Does that mean that you have to have the (Business) card to get the points?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by crimson400
Is no one else who applied for the personal card worried about the Terms and Conditions?

"1. To be eligible, Cardmember must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases to the Starwood Preferred Guest (Business) Credit Card during the first three months of Cardmembership."

Does that mean that you have to have the (Business) card to get the points?
Not worried at all. The '(Business)' is just a shorthand way of saying that a Starwood Preferred Guest Personal Credit Card holder OR a Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card holder must charge $1,000 during the first three months.

ETA: Was instantly approved afternoon of 7/1. Hoping to get cards today via UPS. We shall see.

Last edited by mathfaster; Jul 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
SkinsFan0521 -

Gotta thank you for the thought. I put in a message to Amex asking to move me over to this new promotion also (I'm still in the $15K bonus phase) and while they didn't move me over, they're giving me 5K points.

Nice!
Glad it worked for ya, even if it wasn't exactly what you were hoping for.

I have already met my 15k spend threshold, so it wouldn't do me any good for them to "move" me over to the current promotion, so I just asked for the 5k difference between my offer and the current one. They got back to me in like an hour and said that I'd have the points in a few days, so I was pretty happy with that outcome.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by kay_jay
Very interested in signing up for this card in my wife’s account, but she is not a frequent traveller. I travel a lot for my business. But I just got approved for Costco Amex card, which is also good for traveller like me. Is there any problem if I am not the primary card holder? Advantages and disadvantages if any if I am the add on card holder? Thanks.
The other reason to not go as primary card holder is because we are buying a new home.
Can anyone advice on this? Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:50 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by susiesan
These are both real companies with separate tax ID numbers. The common denominator between all these card apps is my name and ssn.
Doesn't look like REAL corporate business cards get the instant approval, only personal.
Applied for biz card under my longstanding sole proprietorship (same ss #). Decision deferred but I called number on page 4 and got it approved.

I have a second new business (bought a foreclosed house in Orlando for 17k!) with its own TIN. Asked analyst if I could get a second bonus if I got card for that biz but she said no. Is she wrong?

More generally, would I even get approved for a biz not under my ss# that has no history (if not, how do I start a history?)
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Well, to my surprise (based on what has been said here), I just got instant approval for a Business card.

I'm a full-time sole proprietor since 2003. I've never had an Amex business card, but did have an AA Mastercard a few years ago under the same business name. And I have a personal SPG Amex with a comfortably high credit limit.

As an aside, I had issues with the application. Abbreviating my address down to the 20 character limit took real creativity, and the business name also got the last character truncated. Trying to enter a business address different than my home address, the app seemed to reject a space as an invalid special character. And then my attempt to submit the form using Firefox 3.6.6 on Windows 7 didn't work, I had to retype everything into IE...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Applied for biz card under my longstanding sole proprietorship (same ss #). Decision deferred but I called number on page 4 and got it approved.

I have a second new business (bought a foreclosed house in Orlando for 17k!) with its own TIN. Asked analyst if I could get a second bonus if I got card for that biz but she said no. Is she wrong?

More generally, would I even get approved for a biz not under my ss# that has no history (if not, how do I start a history?)
What kind of questions did they ask when you called for the Biz card.
Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:11 pm

Personal to Personal

FWIW, I called the New Card folks, told them I had a current Personal card and applied for another Personal card. Asked if I could still get the 30 K. Person said the offer was on my new card and I would be able to get it.

Skeptical. We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.