Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
suggest you buy a cup of coffee, a tank of gas and or some groceries first. then slip in the gift card. Why be obvious.
or prepay your car insurance or other bills using this card.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
I'm in! Was planning to get this and make it my primary card anyways, stumbled upon this thread by chance... and just in time!

Thanks again FT! ^
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:34 pm

After you have spent 1,000, how long will it takes the points to show up???? Please advise.......
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I have had the personal SPG Amex for years. Just applied for the business card and got the 14-day wait notice. That's fine with me. I can wait.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:03 pm

Just applied and was instantly approved!

ETA: This was the personal card by the way.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
Applied for me and my wife - wife instant approval. Me, not so lucky ("application received").

I think in my case, I have too many Amex cards, including Blue, Blue Cash, Costco, and Hilton.

Probably should go ahead and close Blue and Blue Cash if they do call me...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
When I got approved on June 30, I got a little "ad" touting the Free night promo with a link to sign up.

The sign up deadline for this promo was June 30th. Anyone getting approval after this date can't sign up. Apparently the link is still there but no longer live. Hence the expiration indicator.

After clicking the receive in mail link I also got this "promo expired" message.

It clearly states on the SPG website that this 30,000 point promo is valid from June 30th until July 6th. Where are you getting that the sign up deadline was June 30th? It seems like a lot of people have been getting instant approvals for the personal SPG card after June 30.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Just a datapoint FYI: I sent a secure message to AMEX requesting that they credit my account with the difference between my promotion (the 10k bonus + 15k bonus for $15k spend) and the current promotion (5k points) because my spending on the card would have certainly met the criteria and the CSR told me that 5k points would be credited within 3-5 days.

YMMV for sure, but it worked for me...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Just a datapoint FYI: I sent a secure message to AMEX requesting that they credit my account with the difference between my promotion (the 10k bonus + 15k bonus for $15k spend) and the current promotion (5k points) because my spending on the card would have certainly met the criteria and the CSR told me that 5k points would be credited within 3-5 days.

Very Nice! Enjoy!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA BAEC FL WN US SPG Marriott Hyatt UR
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521

SkinsFan0521 -At the time you sent your secure message, had your 15K bonus *points (for the $15K spend) already posted to your SPG account? The reason I'm asking is that I want to try doing what you did (brilliant move ^@:-)) to obtain the 5K difference. However, in my case, the 15K bonus *points have not yet posted (I recently met the $15K spend threshold). I'm not sure if I should wait until the 15K *point bonus post to my SPG account before sending my secure message or if I should just go ahead now and send it. I don't want to do anything that might delay the process any more than it already takes. (Amex wrote me that it can take 8-12 weeks for the 15K *point bonus to post after meeting the $15K spend requirement.) I'm just afraid I might "muddy the waters" if I send a request for the extra 5K while I'm waiting for the 15K.

Last edited by mfinn; Jul 5, 2010 at 9:59 pm Reason: bold
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:55 pm

Can someone confirm if this is the current thinking:

1) You can get the Business Bonus IF YOU ARE NOT A CURRENT SPG BUSINESS CARDMEMBER (but you were in the past...)

2) You can get the bonus for the SPG personal card IF YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE BONUS IN THE PAST TWO YEARS...

3) or is it IF YOU HAVE NOT HELD THE CARD FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS (Meaning if you applied 5 years ago but kept it for 4 years until last year, you would not get the bonus)?

Thnx!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by rgm18
Can someone confirm if this is the current thinking:

1) You can get the Business Bonus IF YOU ARE NOT A CURRENT SPG BUSINESS CARDMEMBER (but you were in the past...)
AFAIK, nobody knows the answer to this because nobody has been approved yet.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
Thanks!

My wife was immediately approved for the personal card.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:32 pm

After you have spent 1,000, how long will it takes the points to show up???? Please advise....... I need to book the hotels for Sept, will my point show up in August??
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aktamucsd
After you have spent 1,000, how long will it takes the points to show up???? Please advise....... I need to book the hotels for Sept, will my point show up in August??
The bonus points will post at the same time all the points for charges normally show up. This card is no different than any other card.

Last edited by deant; Jul 6, 2010 at 12:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.