Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
14 days

i got the 14 day warning. any suggestions on how to approach this? i took screen shots, but how best do i confirm this will count for the 30k, bc otherwise i would cancel and not want it...

thx
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by JBauer
i got the 14 day warning. any suggestions on how to approach this? i took screen shots, but how best do i confirm this will count for the 30k, bc otherwise i would cancel and not want it...

thx
The promo is based on when you applied, not when you are approved. You are fine, as long as you get approved.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:21 am

Quick question, Can i still collect the referal bonus with this? I'm about to refer my in-laws for the promotion? has anyone done it this way

thanks in advance
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:27 am

Referral?

Where do I go to refer a friend for this card?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:06 am

you can go to spg.com and its there and it tells you to log into the account usually bottom right corner..
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ILeftMyHeartInTexas
Does anyone know if I open an SPG AMEX for my Mother (Alzheimer's) As her POA, can I open an account strictly to be used for expenses she has using my Starwood number?
I have been doing this for my mother who also has Alzheimer's and I am her POA. As long as you have all of her info, ss #, address, income, it works out fine with the online apps. In the last few months my Mom has received a SPG AX, UA VISA, AA Citi Visa and 2 AA Citi MC. I use these cards to pay her bills, but I will be using her miles rolled into my FF accounts to take the trips. unfortunately, my Mom cannot travel anymore. When the first year fee comes due, I cancel the cards, wait a few months, and start the process all over again. I got my Mom her own SPG account number but linked it to my airline FF accounts for point transfer.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by lenny851
you can go to spg.com and its there and it tells you to log into the account usually bottom right corner..
Yeah, but that doesn't refer them to this offer. The link in the email the referred person gets takes them to an application page for the old offer (25k bonus points for $15k spend in 6 months).

I don't know of any way to refer somebody to THIS SPECIFIC offer...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:06 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by BMWPSU99
I called AMEX and they told me if I wanted the offer, to cancel my current card (4 days ago I was approved and it hasn't even shown up yet) and then reapply if I wanted this new 30,000 offer.
I hope that advice was in writing. My sister applied for DL amex, 25k, then the 100k offer came along. She cancelled and applied to get the new DL, was turned down as she was applying within 6 months and has been turned down ever since at Amex!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Can someone with previous experience with similar offers clarify this ...

2 situations:

(1) I have a Personal card currently ... can I apply for a Business card and get the points?

(2) Can my secondary card holder apply for a personal and/or business card and qualify for the points since technically that person never applied for their own card?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:13 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
So I guess I'm probably not the first one to learn that Amex now as a 4 cards (credit-cased) per card holder rule. I have 2 personal cards and 2 business cards. I'd have to cancel a personal card that dates back to 2002 to get this card, though that card had a tiny limit and is never used. My other personal card dates to 2003.

Can any credit gurus hamper a guess on how closing the 2002 small-limit personal card would affect my credit score?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by neo_781
Can someone with previous experience with similar offers clarify this ...

2 situations:

(1) I have a Personal card currently ... can I apply for a Business card and get the points?

(2) Can my secondary card holder apply for a personal and/or business card and qualify for the points since technically that person never applied for their own card?

Thanks!
(1) It's worth a try since you've never had a business card with them, but they don't have to give you the full bonus.

(2)Yes, if they are not a joint member of the existing account and they're just an authorized user with the card connected to your account.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO
got the card. thx for the great info!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Churnman
(1) It's worth a try since you've never had a business card with them, but they don't have to give you the full bonus.

(2)Yes, if they are not a joint member of the existing account and they're just an authorized user with the card connected to your account.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking as well but wanted to confirm.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I hope that advice was in writing. My sister applied for DL amex, 25k, then the 100k offer came along. She cancelled and applied to get the new DL, was turned down as she was applying within 6 months and has been turned down ever since at Amex!
They declined my application because I recently applied for two gold cards. Can I still call them and ask them to close one of the cards and reapply for this one?

Last edited by lichenlt; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:27 pm

Has anyone called the number on americanexpress.com/myappstatus and tried to speed up the process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.