Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whizbee
Chase lets you transfer credit lines, Amex doesn't I've asked.
Um. So much to say here. They don't. Except, if you complain, then they still don't. So you fax in your info, let them pull your IRS filings, and then, guess what? They do. So inconsistent over there.

I also had a rep let me apply for a credit increase to ten times my initial line. Declined. I asked why. You can't get more than three times your initial line, they told me. So why even let me apply for ten times?

Then they told me to fax in everything, which I did, and then they let me shift credit lines around.

I'm not sure if their rules change by the day, or if just nobody there really knows what to do.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by susiesan
I applied yesterday in the name of my business, an actual corporation. Got the 14 day wait message. Today, I just applied for my other business and got the same wait message. These are both real companies with separate tax ID numbers. I already have a personal SPG card that I've had for 5 years or so. The common denominator between all these card apps is my name and ssn. When I applied for one in my husband's name and ssn yesterday, he got instant approval.

Doesn't look like REAL corporate business cards get the instant approval, only personal.
I applied for a business card as well, but got the 14 day notice. I don't think anyone applying for the business card for this promo has got instant approval so far. I have a SPG personal card, which was instantly approved in April.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by whizbee
Even if they assign you two SPG numbers, there's an option at the SPG website to merge accounts.
doing a little google research it seems they will only let you merge if you have the same address on accounts. I have a different business address...and it wont even let me use my residential address to sign up for a business account since it is so long

not sure what to do
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by schley
What does it matter if it was instantly approved or had to wait a day or so to be approved, or if you had to call to hound them to be approved. Approval is approval.
I guess I didn't phrase my concern clearly enough. I agree that approval is approval, regardless of whether it's instantaneous or not. What worries me is that if one holds a personal account and applies for the business version and AMEX has "to think about it for 14 days", the end result may be denial or, worse, a financial review.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors GLD, & Others
Great Offer!!

Applied 6/30, did not receive immediate approval
Received e-mail 7/1 advising application processing
Received e-mail 7/1 advising application approved
Received card on 7/2
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Okto
I guess I didn't phrase my concern clearly enough. I agree that approval is approval, regardless of whether it's instantaneous or not. What worries me is that if one holds a personal account and applies for the business version and AMEX has "to think about it for 14 days", the end result may be denial or, worse, a financial review.
I don't see how waiting has anything to do with any of the negatives you metioned. You could be denied instantaneously as well, they obviously have some formula that lumps approvals together in like categories and processed in 14 day forumulas.

I applied yesterday and received the 14 day deal as well. We shall see, but I wouldn't panic at all. Even if you are accepted after the deadline, it is based on when you submitted not when you were accepted.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Even if you are accepted after the deadline, it is based on when you submitted not when you were accepted.
I read it somewhere in T&C that the bonus will be credited on "Approval".....
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
You have to spend $1000 first.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Approved!

Dear FlyerTalk SuperStar,

Thank you for applying for another American Express Card. Your application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit CardSM from American Express was approved and your new card has been sent to you.

FAQ:
1. Did you have the card before?...Yes....The Personal Card and Biz Card. I canceled it after getting the 15K point bonus 2 years ago.

2. What are you going to do now that you got the points? Im going to Disneyland!

3. When Did You Apply? July 1st, 2010
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:59 pm

Kind of Newbie Questions

I know this is off-topic, and I apologize, but y'all seem so knowledgeable, so I figured I'd ask some questions.

I would like to maximize the rewards I get through credit cards. I probably put about $1500 on credit cards a month (sometimes a little more). Pay it off right away. I like to travel, but do not travel for business so I don't rack up points in that way. I live in the Milwaukee area, but can get to ORD. I think I'll get the most bang for the buck using points for hotels. So far, 3,000 points for a $100 hotel room has worked out well for short weekend trips. I might want to save up for a big international and/or honeymoon type trip.

I have had an SPG card since January and I love it. Put everything I can on it. Got a gold upgrade from some offer they had, and have enjoyed those perks, but I will be losing that in a few months.

At the same time, I got a Delta card, made one purchase to get 25K miles. Cancelled the card a little over a month ago. I still have that balance on Delta.

I also have a free Chase Continental card which got me a few Continental miles. I also got a Chase Sapphire card (for when my AMEX is declined), which I plan on cancelling before the year is up. I got a joining bonus for that, which I converted into $150 check, so not much left there. I got about 15,000 miles on Continental.

Any tips on other programs I should look into, other cards? Was thinking of the 20,000 bonus on the Hilton AMEX. 20,000 is a lot of points - but do rooms cost more? Wouldn't mind beefing up my Delta miles, can I apply for another AMEX and get the 25,000 again? Any other good Airline cards? I would churn a few times to get some miles, but I may apply for a mortgage in a couple years, so I don't want to go too crazy. I did just get another personal SPG so I can cancel my original and avoid the fee (see earlier in the thread). I am not comfortable getting business cards.

Is there a central place to spot these really good mileage deals? Frontier and Airtran fly out of Milwaukee, but I don't think they have great deals. United and Continental are both options (and I realize they are merging). Delta has some presence. Southwest to, but I find they fly into places I don't go.

Any suggestions, help, or guidance appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by mrx900

Thank you for applying for another American Express Card. Your application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit CardSM from American Express was approved and your new card has been sent to you.

FAQ:
1. Did you have the card before?...Yes....The Personal Card and Biz Card. I canceled it after getting the 15K point bonus 2 years ago.

2. What are you going to do now that you got the points? Im going to Disneyland!

The joy of successful churning. How sweet it is.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Of course you have to be approved first. You only have had to apply before the deadline to qualify for the bonus points, after that it is up to their processes otherwise they would be under immense pressure to qualify everyone before the deadline or many will not get in for the bonus. Thus application date is what matters.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:06 pm

got personal cards today!

I am impressed, I applied yesterday morning (7.1.2010), I had a UPS guy kocking on my door today at 2:00PM with overnight UPS envelopes for each myself and Mrs. PedroNY. We have our personal cards in our posessions. Now, that is freaking cool! About 28 hours it took from application to full activation and possession of these AMEX cards.

Application still pending for bussiness card, it sounds like that is normal for most of people here.

Best,

PedroNY
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by widukie

I also have a free Chase Continental card which got me a few Continental miles. I also got a Chase Sapphire card (for when my AMEX is declined), which I plan on cancelling before the year is up. I got a joining bonus for that, which I converted into $150 check, so not much left there. I got about 15,000 miles on Continental.

Any tips on other programs I should look into, other cards?
You might want to get the UA Chase card. Since UA and Continental will merge, it will give you a significant balance in that program.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:45 pm

Just curious, what made you think you got the points? AFAIK, you just got a new card, not necessarily the points.

Originally Posted by mrx900

FAQ:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.