Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lichenlt
They declined my application because I recently applied for two gold cards. Can I still call them and ask them to close one of the cards and reapply for this one?
just called the number mentioned in a previous thread. The guys said he couldn't tell me whether canceling a card would make a difference.

Any advice?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:57 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by abcx
Has anyone called the number on americanexpress.com/myappstatus and tried to speed up the process?
Yes - in fact once I called they advised me I needed to cancel one of my four cards to open the new one. When I said I needed to think about it, I was told they had to do something and if I didn't want to cancel one right then, she'd mark the app as canceled by me but I'd have 30 days to reactivate it (with the offer in tact) if I want.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:48 pm

Wink

So if I never had any of these cards I can apply for both (Personal & Business) Cards and collect 60000 points in total?
Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I applied for card in husbands' name, instant approval.

Applied for one in business name, got 14 day email. Called the approval number and a nice young man tried to redo the app with the information needed to get me an approval today. He couldn't do it; couldn't figure out what the holdup is, what is kicking it out, what piece of information isn't worded correctly. So I have to wait too hear why it's not being approved.

I have a second business and I'll apply for one in that name tomorrow. And I'll get a second one, the business one, for my Mother who just got one under the referral program for 10K points to her, 5K points to me.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by daveland
So I guess I'm probably not the first one to learn that Amex now as a 4 cards (credit-cased) per card holder rule. I have 2 personal cards and 2 business cards. I'd have to cancel a personal card that dates back to 2002 to get this card, though that card had a tiny limit and is never used. My other personal card dates to 2003.

Can any credit gurus hamper a guess on how closing the 2002 small-limit personal card would affect my credit score?

I would not cancel that card.

I applied for myzself and wife the business card each and we are waiting for the 14 day period. Status says in progress. Now, in early may wife got her very first SPG amex (really bummed about it) so I decided to apply again, no dice... I OTH didnt apply for a personal one as I have had a few since 2004... they wont allow it. Plus I have applied and recieved about 7 cards in the past two months (chase 50k, Goldpoint BoA, Barclays US, CO Chase, AA MC, AA Amex, and M&M Barclays). My credit has yet to take a hit (dont care either way), but im sure in the summer all these card apps might hurt me. I say bring it on!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
So if I never had any of these cards I can apply for both (Personal & Business) Cards and collect 60000 points in total?
Thanks
anyone?
Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
anyone?
Thanks
Yes, your good to go.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:53 pm

Personal-Personal

I have a Personal SPG. Just applied for another Personal using this offer. So here's hoping to 30,000 more points.

Was going to cancel my initial card anyway because of the annual fee.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by widukie
I have a Personal SPG. Just applied for another Personal using this offer. So here's hoping to 30,000 more points.

Was going to cancel my initial card anyway because of the annual fee.
It's for 1st time card holders only. Unless you opened that account many years ago, you won't get another bonus.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by psyflyer
I would not cancel that card.

Can you expand on that? Does canceling a low limit (only $2,500) card from 2002 hurt when I still have a 2003 card with many times that in limit and spending?

Because if I don't cancel that one, Amex won't give me a new SPG card for this bonus. Using 2.5c in value per *point, I'm giving up $800 + in value in points to save that old card....... I do have others that are older as well.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Can you expand on that? Does canceling a low limit (only $2,500) card from 2002 hurt when I still have a 2003 card with many times that in limit and spending?

Because if I don't cancel that one, Amex won't give me a new SPG card for this bonus. Using 2.5c in value per *point, I'm giving up $800 + in value in points to save that old card....... I do have others that are older as well.
Yes, do not cancel that one if credit score is a concern for you.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:03 pm

It's for 1st time card holders only. Unless you opened that account many years ago, you won't get another bonus.
I opened it last December.

Well, it said only if you had a Business card. If you go to the Business Card page, it specifies in the T+C that it is not open to existing Business accounts. If you go to the Personal Page, it says no such thing. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where having a Personal card matters at all.

So, we'll see. I was surprised it approved me. I'll see what the literature says when I get the card. Like I said, I was going to get a new one anyway, now seemed like a good time. I'm not going to take a chance on the Business Card as I don't have a business. I'm an attorney, and it would probably be unethical for me to lie about a non-existent business.

Which is unfortunate, because I was possibly starting one in a few months. Maybe they'll have a similar offer then.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Am I missing this somewhere because I don't see this stated anywhere in the T&C's. I do see this stated: "Offer not available to existing Starwood Preferred Guest (Business) Credit Cardmembers." (My bolding)
Nothing about prohibiting previous card holders, only current ones.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by widukie
I opened it last December.

Well, it said only if you had a Business card. If you go to the Business Card page, it specifies in the T+C that it is not open to existing Business accounts. If you go to the Personal Page, it says no such thing. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where having a Personal card matters at all.

So, we'll see. I was surprised it approved me. I'll see what the literature says when I get the card. Like I said, I was going to get a new one anyway, now seemed like a good time. I'm not going to take a chance on the Business Card as I don't have a business. I'm an attorney, and it would probably be unethical for me to lie about a non-existent business.

Which is unfortunate, because I was possibly starting one in a few months. Maybe they'll have a similar offer then.
Since when are attorneys ethical?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:07 pm

biz card

So did anyone get instant approval for the business card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.