Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by ddsohn
Applied for business card on June 30th and received the dreaded 14-day response. Called this AM and got no help (was told it would take 3-5 days for approval). Call this PM (since I was contemplating whether or not to just apply for personal card and get instant approval) and was approved! However, online still says "in progress" but was told over the phone that it was approved. FYI, did not receive any emails or etc from AMEX for verification purposes.
Inspired by this post, I called to check the status of my Business Card application. When I did, I was told that there was an error in the application which the CSR said was due to the fact that I had applied for a personal card when I already have one. Although I thought this was unlikely, I accepted his explanation. However, I went back and looked at the two applications and I know I filled out information regarding the income from my business and how long the business has been around -- questions that are not on the personal card application. I'm hopeful that AmEx will straighten this out, but has anyone run into anything similar?

Thanks.

xlax
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:12 pm

Both husband and I applied for the Starwood Personal card in April so I was unsure if enough time had passed for us to sign up for the business one this time round. Plus I had signed up for an American Airlines Citibank Mastercard that month as well. I just did the business apps for both of us and got instant approval!

Dear xxxx,

Congratulations! This message is to confirm your approval for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit CardSM from American Express. We are expediting the shipment of your Business Card and you should be receiving it soon.

When your Card arrives, you can activate it online at www.americanexpress.com/activate or you can call us by following the instructions on the sticker on your Card.

Thank you for your continued Cardmembership.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Service

THANK YOU FLYERTALK!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:24 pm

is the offer gone now? it's 10:24pm EST and i don't see the link on the SPG site
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
is the offer gone now? it's 10:24pm EST and i don't see the link on the SPG site
Yeah....it's gone.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:54 pm

The link in the first post still active.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:04 pm

Got instant approval Thursday afternoon 7/1. Got the cards today from UPS around the standard time the UPS guy usually delivers. $10,000 CL for the wife and $14,800 for myself. My CL was probably higher as I am the primary card holder on the Costco American Express card although my wife had an AMEX Gold Business card we canceled a few years ago. Package includes a 50% off rack rate award good (some properties are not eligible) for 1 to 5 nights with an advanced reservation when you pay with the Starwood card.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 335i
swag - thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear I am ok. I got a number to call new accounts from the manager I spoke to just to make sure.
Were you able to verify that you still get the 30K promo?

I was always under the impression that the offer is good between June 30 and July 6.

I signed up around noon got instant approval. Like you when I opted for get it in mail it landed to an expired SPG promo page. I did not even remember what promo it referred to.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
The link in the first post still active.
So as on the AMEX Home Page - both the landing page and the actual application page.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/home

https://www143.americanexpress.com/a...starwood30k_n1

as of 11:30PM EST July 6th.

UPDATE:

They took it down right after midnight! Now it is back to the 10K offer!

Last edited by Happy; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:10 pm
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:52 pm

Instant approval on the business line. Currently have a personal SPG and jetblue card with AMEX.

Signed up my wife for personal (Instant) and business (14 days).

GL to the other last minute procrastinators.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, IcelandAir, Starbucks
oh man, I missed it by 25 minutes. It is still 7/6 here, but I didn't notice that it had gone back to 10,000 miles. Curses!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by joporto
oh man, I missed it by 25 minutes. It is still 7/6 here, but I didn't notice that it had gone back to 10,000 miles. Curses!

Hmmm...I just checked the link, it still said:

"30,000 Starpoints after you spend $1000"
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, IcelandAir, Starbucks
I got it to print out where it shows the 30,000 and that was what I signed. I called Amex and the super nice customer service representative put a note in my file to hopefully help me get the 30,000 rather than 10,000 (should it become an issue later).
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Damn.

Been on the fence with this vs. Costco AMEX... 30K points would be nice... but would like to keep the AMEX long-tem and could not justify the $45 annual fee after the 1st year vs. no annual fee w/ Costco.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Damn.

Been on the fence with this vs. Costco AMEX... 30K points would be nice... but would like to keep the AMEX long-tem and could not justify the $45 annual fee after the 1st year vs. no annual fee w/ Costco.
You get the 30K points after your $1K spend with no further obligation to keep the card. You could sign up for both and cancel the SPG Amex after a month or two.

But it's too late now anyway. Shoulda jumped when you had the chance.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by baliktad
You get the 30K points after your $1K spend with no further obligation to keep the card. You could sign up for both and cancel the SPG Amex after a month or two.

But it's too late now anyway. Shoulda jumped when you had the chance.
Understand that... however for credit scores... especially with someone with a limited history as me... its best not to cancel cards. If I had a more established history I'd feel more comfortable about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.