Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA
Just curious why AMEX use UPS instead of US mail?

Originally Posted by jw713
UPS overnight.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:31 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
I am paying my car insurance in advance as well as buying Staples Gift cards which I will use to buy FAR items from staples to convert them back into cash (I'll make profit with the use of coupons).
Am doing the house and car insurance in advance also. What are the FAR items from staples you mention??
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wonderer
Am doing the house and car insurance in advance also. What are the FAR items from staples you mention??
FAR = "Free after rebate"? I'm not sure though =). Still waiting for my biz card. I can't believe everybody is getting their via UPS overnight. I'm 100% sure mine haven't been sent via overnight (b/c that means I should already have my card in my hand!)
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 days after instant approval still no card

I wonder why everyone seems to get his card UPS or FedEx to him, but ours are still not in sight despite we applied around mid-day July 6th and got instant approvals on both personal cards.

The only odd thing I noticed was, when I clicked the choice for receiving information via mail, it brought me to an expired SPG offer screen and then the app itself claimed "time-out because no activity for 20 minutes".

However both apps received AMEX congrat emails with a link to activate card when receipt. There is no telephone number on the email though, just the reference number at the top.

Is there a number to call to find out where the cards are?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by spid4me
Any tricks on spending $1000 on each card within 3 months? That would be $4000 for 4 cards (2 per spouse). Terms and conditions received with the card say gift cards and gift certificates are not eligible
I do not have a need for high value items like TV etc. If buying coins, how would one sell it back with minimal loss?
what about buying coins from US Mint and then cahing them into your bank dollar for dollar?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mosu84
Marry my wife. She'll get you over the limit easily.
That is funny. Thank you all ShakuniMamajee, Octo, wonderer, mtensioners, jackcrawfish.

To recap, insurance, gift cards, FAR, wife, coins all are great ideas. I really appreciate everyone chiming in.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Business application

Just received approval earlier this week for the Starwood business card after in indicated it could take up to 14 days for approval. Took about 7 days in total before it indicated approval. So if you get the pending message do not despair.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mtensioners
what about buying coins from US Mint and then cahing them into your bank dollar for dollar?
That is a very slippery slope. Amex doesn't take that kindly at all and you might get into trouble with Amex by doing that.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:21 am

It works like this:
You buy a FAR (Free After Rebate) item from Staples. For example, they frequently have Peachtree Accounting software for $165 with a $165 Rebate. Sometimes the Rebate is a Mail-in-Rebate and sometimes a Staples Easy Rebate ( which is done entirely online as compared to a Mail-in-Rebate).
So you buy the FAR item with the staples Gift Card and submit the rebate (online if Staples Easy Rebate) and after 6-8 weeks you will receive a check or a Visa Debit Card (whichever you chose) from staples effectively converting your gift card into cash. Also, if you use a staples coupon i.e a $30 off $150 on this purchase you will only spend $135 and get a check of $165. The real "profit"ill be different once you factor in the the tax for your state.
Do this for every FAR Rebate item at staples and you will keep on converting your staples Gift cards into cash. You can even buy some useful items which are not entirely Free After Rebate but with the use of coupons you will still get them for free.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
It works like this:
You buy a FAR (Free After Rebate) item from Staples. For example, they frequently have Peachtree Accounting software for $165 with a $165 Rebate. Sometimes the Rebate is a Mail-in-Rebate and sometimes a Staples Easy Rebate ( which is done entirely online as compared to a Mail-in-Rebate).
So you buy the FAR item with the staples Gift Card and submit the rebate (online if Staples Easy Rebate) and after 6-8 weeks you will receive a check or a Visa Debit Card (whichever you chose) from staples effectively converting your gift card into cash. Also, if you use a staples coupon i.e a $30 off $150 on this purchase you will only spend $135 and get a check of $165. The real "profit"ill be different once you factor in the the tax for your state.
Do this for every FAR Rebate item at staples and you will keep on converting your staples Gift cards into cash. You can even buy some useful items which are not entirely Free After Rebate but with the use of coupons you will still get them for free.
Hope this helps.
Genius! Thanks for the info. That is the kind of stuff millions of miles are made of. Well at least until they stop letting you use your gift card for FAR items that is.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
I applied 7-2 for personal and business cards. I rec'd personal card 2 days ago via UPS 2 Day service and last night I rec'd email advising I was approved for biz card. Sweet. I look forward to converting those to 80K free miles.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That is a very slippery slope. Amex doesn't take that kindly at all and you might get into trouble with Amex by doing that.
I don't recall any evidence from the Mint thread where Amex was causing trouble with these purchases - the only entity who has the right to get upset is the Mint itself, not Amex, as the terms of sale require the coins to be placed in circulation, not returned to the bank.

As far as Amex is concerned, these are perfectly legitimate purchase transactions.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't recall any evidence from the Mint thread where Amex was causing trouble with these purchases - the only entity who has the right to get upset is the Mint itself, not Amex, as the terms of sale require the coins to be placed in circulation, not returned to the bank.

As far as Amex is concerned, these are perfectly legitimate purchase transactions.
Everyone considering Mint purchases, check out this thread in the AMEX forum and then decide how comfortable you are pushing your luck:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...off-cards.html
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Smile

It works like this:
Hope this helps.
Thanks, ShakuniMama, for your detailed reply.
I have done this a few times with my fingers crossed that the rebate does come though. But a great reminder to check what Staples has FAR in the next few weeks.
My hubby and I got 3 new SPG cards. One personal and two business. The last two Business Cards just came today. I called my AAA car insurance agent to see about paying in advance. It cost us $994 and we are paid in full until next March. That takes care of one of the Business Cards. Changed auto pay for Phone and cable, to the new personal card. With normal living expenses, we should have no problem spending $2000 more in the next 3 months. Checked and our home insurance does not take Amex.
Again thanks everyone. What a great opportunity this has been!!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:19 pm

Checked and our home insurance does not take Amex.
Does it take PayPal? My car insurance takes Visa/MC/Discover and Paypal - so I got my AMEX points anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.