Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

E-rewards [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-rewards [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:34 pm

yeah its gotten super annoying. them and milesforopinions have it right now.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I received my 1099-NEC yesterday and I was pleased with the way they valued my rewards. Gift cards are valued 1:1, i.e. at $25 each mostly. Hotel points and Magazines are valued at a very low dollar amount...about 1/15th of the true value (if you actually use the points) as far as I can tell.
I received mine for the first time today. No information or means of figuring out how they came to that figure - $775. Can we deduct for the time involved??? :-)
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Are you guys getting the question about What Is Your Biggest Problem With Technology These Days? I get this question, which requires a written answer, about every fifth survey. Very annoying!
I have it prepared and just paste it.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Please share! We should all give the same answer!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:57 pm

Anyone here who has received a 1099 in the past for earning over $600, can you tell me (1) did the 1099 come via email or snail mail, and (2) approximately when did you receive it, i.e. late January? Thanks.
I just received mine today (for the first time) by snail mail.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:09 pm

I received my 1099-NEC yesterday and I was pleased with the way they valued my rewards. Gift cards are valued 1:1, i.e. at $25 each mostly. Hotel points and Magazines are valued at a very low dollar amount...about 1/15th of the true value (if you actually use the points) as far as I can tell.
Do you have past experience with this? I got my first 1099-NEC today for $775 for the gift cards I redeemed for last year. Entering the form on TurboTax opened a few cans of worms. The first was what kind of employee was I. Instead of the default there was one choice that said the income was from what I considered a hobby or something I did occasionally (but was warned that response would get more scrutiny - even though I feel that's the right category). If I took the default a Schedule C was opened, I had to name my business, etc etc etc - had to pay self employment tax ($120) and the full 15% SS (I did see part of that was refunded on the form). But then I caught that I now had $755 in "earned income" - something I haven't had since 2006 :-) That immediately made me wonder about putting that money in my traditional IRA which it said I could do - and that cut the increase in my taxes from $240 to about $50. When I went back and checked the "hobby" block my $240 in increased tax dropped to about $120 (eliminated the self employment tax and SS I assume) - BUT it didn't classify the $775 as "earned income" but instead listed it as "additional income." So no IRA option...

Anyway I was hoping you or some of the other smart folks here might have been down this road before and could offer some advice :-)
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've put my cash earnings from other survey panels down as hobby income in previous years and never had an issue with it. It's typically been $3K or less.

For those who got a 1099-NEC did e-Rewards let you know it was coming or did it just show up? Haven't heard anything from e-Rewards about me getting one and I'd like to go ahead and deal with taxes but I obviously can't do that if I'm short a form.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bj2757
Do you have past experience with this? I got my first 1099-NEC today for $775 for the gift cards I redeemed for last year. Entering the form on TurboTax opened a few cans of worms. The first was what kind of employee was I. Instead of the default there was one choice that said the income was from what I considered a hobby or something I did occasionally (but was warned that response would get more scrutiny - even though I feel that's the right category). If I took the default a Schedule C was opened, I had to name my business, etc etc etc - had to pay self employment tax ($120) and the full 15% SS (I did see part of that was refunded on the form). But then I caught that I now had $755 in "earned income" - something I haven't had since 2006 :-) That immediately made me wonder about putting that money in my traditional IRA which it said I could do - and that cut the increase in my taxes from $240 to about $50. When I went back and checked the "hobby" block my $240 in increased tax dropped to about $120 (eliminated the self employment tax and SS I assume) - BUT it didn't classify the $775 as "earned income" but instead listed it as "additional income." So no IRA option...

Anyway I was hoping you or some of the other smart folks here might have been down this road before and could offer some advice :-)
You seem to have figured this out already, but, from the "Instructions for Recipient" on the last page of the IRS Form 1099-NEC:
If you are not an employee but the amount in box 1 is not selfemployment (SE) income (for example, it is income from a sporadic activity or a hobby), report the amount shown in box 1 on the “Other income” line (on Schedule 1 (Form 1040)).
(These instructions are found on page 5: Form 1099-NEC (Rev. January 2022) (irs.gov) )
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Are you guys getting the question about What Is Your Biggest Problem With Technology These Days? I get this question, which requires a written answer, about every fifth survey. Very annoying!
Originally Posted by brabb12
yeah its gotten super annoying. them and milesforopinions have it right now.
Originally Posted by neuromancer
Yes...share your reply if you are willing. Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:04 am

I received mine for the first time today. No information or means of figuring out how they came to that figure - $775. Can we deduct for the time involved??? :-)
You cannot deduct for your time. You probably got 31 gift cards of $25.

TurboTax handles the income correctly if you add it as 1099-NEC. You do have to pay SE tax on the earnings.

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I've put my cash earnings from other survey panels down as hobby income in previous years and never had an issue with it. It's typically been $3K or less.

For those who got a 1099-NEC did e-Rewards let you know it was coming or did it just show up? Haven't heard anything from e-Rewards about me getting one and I'd like to go ahead and deal with taxes but I obviously can't do that if I'm short a form.
They let you know a few months prior that your earnings exceed $600 and you have to fill out a W-4. So, if you did not hear anything, you are good.
beachmouse likes this.

Last edited by apeortdz; Feb 5, 2022 at 7:09 am
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse

Thanks to those that responded to my questions - I appreciate it!

The only notice I got was the request for info a few months ago so they could send the 1099 if needed. No anything after that until the 1099 showed up yesterday :-)
apeortdz likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
. The only notice I got was the request for info a few months ago so they could send the 1099 if needed. No anything after that until the 1099 showed up yesterday :-)
Same here, two years in a row.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
It is a quality check survey run by a company called Imperium (I think). If they don't like your answer you don't get the survey it's attached to, that needs 'good quality respondents'. But they don't seem to record your result and re-use it on other surveys with the same requirement, so we often get it multiple times in the same survey-taking sitting. I strongly suspect it also uses an automated algorithm to classify the passes/fails. I think it probably looks at number of words used, lack of special characters, repeated words, repeated letters and time spent in the mini-survey.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:06 pm

Occasionally I get a real winner survey like the one I just did. It paid $56.50 (of e-rewards currency) for about 10 minutes of work.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:13 pm

ok. e-rewards is getting really weird. They won't allow me to do surveys or redeem for rewards. Ive already emailed them about the issue but no response and its been almost a week. If they stop my account its gonna be awkward since I have a bunch of equipment from them for a laundry study im doing. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.