Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Ethiopian Long-Haul Aircraft with Flat Bed Seats
(UPDATED 05NOV23)

TOTAL : 59 aircraft - 49 with fully flat beds, 10 with 160-angled flat

At least 50+ aircraft with WiFi. WiFi has now been installed on almost all 787s in addition to the 777/350 fleet.

Boeing 777-200LRs
(Total 6 - with WiFi)

ET-ANN - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANO - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANP - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANQ - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANR - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-AQL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 777-300ERs
(Total 4 - with WiFi)

ET-APX - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-APY - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASK - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 787-8s
(Total 19 - most - if not all - now fitted with WiFi)

===
ET-AOO - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOP - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOQ - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOR - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOS - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOT - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOU - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOV - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARE - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARF - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ASG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATJ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel

NOTE : All B787-8 flights are loaded with the flat bed seatmap until between 48-72 hours prior to the flight. Check back within 48 hours when the actual aircraft is allocated and the seatmap may change. If row 11 shows seats ABC-DEF-JKL, then you have the old configuration. If it shows only seats JKL for row 11, then it is the new configuration.

Boeing 787-9s
(Total 10 - all equipped with WiFi)

ET-AUO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXS - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AXT - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)

Airbus 350-900s
(Total 20 - all equipped with Wifi)

ET-ATQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATY - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUA - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVE - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWM - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWN - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AYA - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYB - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYM - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZI - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: Lufthansa senatoe, BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold
In an earlier post someone asked
"F) Has anyone ever seen ET open 2 more award seats or 4 award seats on one of their flights?"
I don't recall seeing an answer. I am looking to book 5 adults to go on Safari from MAN-JRO in August and want to use Miles and More Miles. Availability is showing as 2 Biz seats and plenty of Economy award seats.
If I take the 2 Biz now and wait will ET allow more award seats for LH Senators in the near future?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TRESY
In an earlier post someone asked
"F) Has anyone ever seen ET open 2 more award seats or 4 award seats on one of their flights?"
I don't recall seeing an answer. I am looking to book 5 adults to go on Safari from MAN-JRO in August and want to use Miles and More Miles. Availability is showing as 2 Biz seats and plenty of Economy award seats.
If I take the 2 Biz now and wait will ET allow more award seats for LH Senators in the near future?
Regrettably in my research I have never seen more than 2 award seats per flight open and when 2 are booked 2 more do not appear just the business award fare bucket goes to zero. We are going on safari from USA to VFA in March as a family of 4 I had to book us 2x one route via IAD-ADD and 2x another route YYZ-ADD to meet in ADD and take our ADD-VFA leg (with 2 being in business and 2 in economy). There was an involuntary schedule change on the YYZ-ADD which would cause us to misconnect and I was able to get ET to open 2x seats incremental on the IAD-ADD to reaccomdate us but it took 5x+ phone calls, begging, asking for supervisors, etc. They also opened 2x business class on the ADD-VFA leg so all 4 of us could be in business class but again this was after begging and pleading for a reaccomodation of their involuntary schedule change they did as a one-time exception/courtesy. This was for an ANA issued award ticket for travel on ET.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: Lufthansa senatoe, BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by beofotch
Regrettably in my research I have never seen more than 2 award seats per flight open and when 2 are booked 2 more do not appear just the business award fare bucket goes to zero. We are going on safari from USA to VFA in March as a family of 4 I had to book us 2x one route via IAD-ADD and 2x another route YYZ-ADD to meet in ADD and take our ADD-VFA leg (with 2 being in business and 2 in economy). There was an involuntary schedule change on the YYZ-ADD which would cause us to misconnect and I was able to get ET to open 2x seats incremental on the IAD-ADD to reaccomdate us but it took 5x+ phone calls, begging, asking for supervisors, etc. They also opened 2x business class on the ADD-VFA leg so all 4 of us could be in business class but again this was after begging and pleading for a reaccomodation of their involuntary schedule change they did as a one-time exception/courtesy. This was for an ANA issued award ticket for travel on ET.
beofotch,
Thanks for the reply. Very much as I feared but I hadn't thought of starting at 2 different airports.
My flight is MAN-JRO via ADD but it does stop at BRU to let off/take on passengers. I wonder if I could book 2 biz from MAN and 2 Biz from BRU meaning we are on the same flight. However, as it keeps the same flight number I reckon not possible.

2 people could fly from LHR so a totally different flight number and meet in ADD as you did. Problem will probably occur on the return flights from ZNZ as will all be on the same flight

I guess the problem could be with the return flight from Zanziba (ZNZ)
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:49 am

I have been offered an itinerary on ET FRA -ADD-WDH which shows an A350 on the FRA-ADD leg and a 787-9 Dreamliner on the second leg. This is on the United booking web tool. Neither the ET website nor Seatguru shows a 787-9 as an available aircraft. Any ideas on what is going on here?
Also, if ET does, in fact, have a 787-9, what seats are in its Business class? Seatguru shows the old non-flat seats on the 787-8.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by dubsman
I have been offered an itinerary on ET FRA -ADD-WDH which shows an A350 on the FRA-ADD leg and a 787-9 Dreamliner on the second leg. This is on the United booking web tool. Neither the ET website nor Seatguru shows a 787-9 as an available aircraft. Any ideas on what is going on here?
Also, if ET does, in fact, have a 787-9, what seats are in its Business class? Seatguru shows the old non-flat seats on the 787-8.
Ethiopian do have a number of 787-9 aircraft in their fleet. Seats are in a 2-2-2 configuration with 5 rows and more akin to the A350 seats in the same configuration. They are lie-flat and more comfortable than the 787-8 seats on the ones I have flown on.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by dubsman
I have been offered an itinerary on ET FRA -ADD-WDH which shows an A350 on the FRA-ADD leg and a 787-9 Dreamliner on the second leg. This is on the United booking web tool. Neither the ET website nor Seatguru shows a 787-9 as an available aircraft. Any ideas on what is going on here? Also, if ET does, in fact, have a 787-9, what seats are in its Business class? Seatguru shows the old non-flat seats on the 787-8.
Ethiopian have 8 787-9s in their fleet. 6 of these have the flat bed seats (similar to the seats on AS* and AT* 787-8s) and 2 have the reverse herringbone seats (similar to the AY* A350s).

Seatguru has always had nonsensical data for ET so ignore it completely. I don't think they have a single aircraft type represented accurately.

Full info on the ET longhaul seat configs in this forum wiki which is far and away the most accurate resource for this on the interwebs : Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:09 am

Just wanted to bump this thread and ask - are the 787-800's still a mix of angle and full-lie flat, or are they all now full lie-flat?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Just wanted to bump this thread and ask - are the 787-800's still a mix of angle and full-lie flat, or are they all now full lie-flat?
No seats have been changed on any 787s since delivery. Ethiopian maintains that the early model seats are flat as they recline to a 180-degree flat surface (albeit inclined to the floor) so they do not differentiate the different configurations.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
No seats have been changed on any 787s since delivery. Ethiopian maintains that the early model seats are flat as they recline to a 180-degree flat surface (albeit inclined to the floor) so they do not differentiate the different configurations.
Ah I see. Pardon my ignorance or naivety, but is this true? As in, does the angle lie flat actually recline to 180-degree, just with a slant to the floor? I assumed angle-lie flat meant the seat is only at 135 or 150-degree and that you'd have odd bumps when trying to sleep (particularly as I am a side / stomach sleeper, not a back sleeper).
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:40 am

Ah I see. Pardon my ignorance or naivety, but is this true? As in, does the angle lie flat actually recline to 180-degree, just with a slant to the floor? I assumed angle-lie flat meant the seat is only at 135 or 150-degree and that you'd have odd bumps when trying to sleep (particularly as I am a side / stomach sleeper, not a back sleeper).
It is true

The surface is 180-degrees flat, but it is angled to the ground to save space. See below.

Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:43 am

It is true

The surface is 180-degrees flat, but it is angled to the ground to save space. See below.

Ah I see - thank you And I'm guessing I won't know if my 787-8 will be angle or lie flat until I board? As I saw of the 19 787-8 planes, 9 are lie flat and 10 are angle flat, so it's almost a 50-50 shot.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:54 am

Ah I see - thank you And I'm guessing I won't know if my 787-8 will be angle or lie flat until I board? As I saw of the 19 787-8 planes, 9 are lie flat and 10 are angle flat, so it's almost a 50-50 shot.
Depends on the route. Transatlantic routes will almost certainly have the older configuration (only the 3 ET-AS* airframes are usually used transatlantic with the new config), while Europe, Asia and African routes have better odds for the newer config.

You can check the config assigned within the last 48 hours before the flight by checking the economy class seatmap - if the seatmap shows only seats JKL in row 11, its the newer config (as it has a different galley layout) and if the full row 11 is showing then it is the older config.
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Depends on the route. Transatlantic routes will almost certainly have the older configuration (only the 3 ET-AS* airframes are usually used transatlantic with the new config)...

You can check the config assigned within the last 48 hours before the flight by checking the economy class seatmap - if the seatmap shows only seats JKL in row 11, its the newer config (as it has a different galley layout) and if the full row 11 is showing then it is the older config.
Just flew ET 575/574 ORD-ADD RT in J. Outbound we were delighted to get ET-AYC, a 789 with reverse herringbone pods. On the return we were stuck with ET-ARF, a 788 w/ angle flat seats. In both cases the seat map didn't reflect this until a few hours before flight time. In fact, outbound I didn't know about the new seat until I checked my bag at the airport. On the return flight it showed only JKL in row 11 that morning, but reverted to an old configuration by the time we got to ADD.

I could sleep on my side in the angle flat seats, but as the pictures show, the seam between seat and back was lumpy and thus uncomfortable. Also, fully extending the seats left very little foot room if trying to sleep on your back, adding to the discomfort. OTOH, the new pods, while more desirable, were pretty narrow around the shoulders and footwells. Overall, below average seats for sleeping.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by megalab

I could sleep on my side in the angle flat seats, but as the pictures show, the seam between seat and back was lumpy and thus uncomfortable. Also, fully extending the seats left very little foot room if trying to sleep on your back, adding to the discomfort. OTOH, the new pods, while more desirable, were pretty narrow around the shoulders and footwells. Overall, below average seats for sleeping.
That has been my experience in most of the contemporary 1-2-1 business class seating designs. If you are 6 ft tall (or over) and have anything that approaches a larger than average shoe size, you will have issues getting comfortable when you set the seat into its bed mode. My personal favorites on both ET and on TK are the 77W seats. Lie flat, a very straight and square layout with a roomy foot well.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:50 am

Lie flat in Business on Ethiopian

How can i figure out which aircraft models or aircraft reg nr has lie flat seats in Business. I guess all A359 has that but the rest of the fleet? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.