Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Ethiopian Long-Haul Aircraft with Flat Bed Seats
(UPDATED 05NOV23)

TOTAL : 59 aircraft - 49 with fully flat beds, 10 with 160-angled flat

At least 50+ aircraft with WiFi. WiFi has now been installed on almost all 787s in addition to the 777/350 fleet.

Boeing 777-200LRs
(Total 6 - with WiFi)

ET-ANN - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANO - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANP - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANQ - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANR - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-AQL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 777-300ERs
(Total 4 - with WiFi)

ET-APX - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-APY - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASK - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 787-8s
(Total 19 - most - if not all - now fitted with WiFi)

===
ET-AOO - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOP - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOQ - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOR - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOS - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOT - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOU - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOV - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARE - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARF - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ASG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATJ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel

NOTE : All B787-8 flights are loaded with the flat bed seatmap until between 48-72 hours prior to the flight. Check back within 48 hours when the actual aircraft is allocated and the seatmap may change. If row 11 shows seats ABC-DEF-JKL, then you have the old configuration. If it shows only seats JKL for row 11, then it is the new configuration.

Boeing 787-9s
(Total 10 - all equipped with WiFi)

ET-AUO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXS - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AXT - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)

Airbus 350-900s
(Total 20 - all equipped with Wifi)

ET-ATQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATY - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUA - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVE - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWM - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWN - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AYA - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYB - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYM - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZI - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
A 90-min connection (IAD-ADD-CPT) is manageable if flights on time?
I have done 35-min connection with 15-min delay, so left with only 20-min connection on BOM-ADD-CPT route. It was the smoothest transfer ever, bussed directly to the next plane door to door. Even my checked in luggage made it.

You should be fine, it’s not a huge airport either.
kevinsac likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
A 90-min connection (IAD-ADD-CPT) is manageable if flights on time?
About an hour longer than you really need. People manage 30 minute connections in Addis every day as a matter of routine.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
If you are shorter and slimmer you may very well have no issues with the seat (especially if you get a seat that works properly).
I'm about your size and I tend to agree that it really depends if the seat is functional properly. I flew ADD-GRU in a perfectly functional seat and it was great - comfortable and no issues sleeping. I've flown in seats that didn't work properly on shorter flights like ADD-LFW, LLW-ADD, etc.. and it has been less pleasant.

Originally Posted by [color=#333333
kevinsac[/color]]does ET have a history of sending long-haul flights to Washington or Chicago with angled seats? Or are those premier routes that always have flat seats and the angled seats go to more outlying areas?
It isn't an issue of the route being premium. The 788s with the Collins "fully flat" seats are (with the exception of the ET-AS* aircraft) all powered by RR engines rather than the GENx engines on the earlier 788s. The RR powered aircraft have lower payload capability when operating North America to Addis nonstop. So they will very rarely be utilised on those routes, even if they are considered "premium", except if one of the ET-AS* aircraft is deployed.
PDXmilespoints503 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I'm about your size and I tend to agree that it really depends if the seat is functional properly. I flew ADD-GRU in a perfectly functional seat and it was great - comfortable and no issues sleeping. I've flown in seats that didn't work properly on shorter flights like ADD-LFW, LLW-ADD, etc.. and it has been less pleasant.

It isn't an issue of the route being premium. The 788s with the Collins "fully flat" seats are (with the exception of the ET-AS* aircraft) all powered by RR engines rather than the GENx engines on the earlier 788s. The RR powered aircraft have lower payload capability when operating North America to Addis nonstop. So they will very rarely be utilised on those routes, even if they are considered "premium", except if one of the ET-AS* aircraft is deployed.
I think you are being overly kind with the description "... and it has been less pleasant". Like kevinsac I am no longer flying anywhere nearly as much as I did 4 or 5 years ago. But my recollection from my heavy flying days was that airlines worked their interior refreshes in with their heaviest maintenance (aka "D Check"). Boeing has designed the 787 for the longest D maintenance interval I know at 12 years. So I assume that ET will do the same (refresh interiors during the heavy D check) and the interiors on these aircraft will simply get more beat up for another 2 or 3 years.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:03 am

I assume that ET will do the same (refresh interiors during the heavy D check) and the interiors on these aircraft will simply get more beat up for another 2 or 3 years.
Nope, they are slated to go in for refit this winter starting in November. Not sure if that has been announced publicly, but I've heard it from as high up in ET as makes these decisions so that is the plan for now.
kevinsac and Parterre like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold
Nope, they are slated to go in for refit this winter starting in November. Not sure if that has been announced publicly, but I've heard it from as high up in ET as makes these decisions so that is the plan for now.
Maybe that's why my ET flights ORD-ADD and back in January are showing now as on a 787 Dreamliner instead of the old aircraft. Perhaps the planes regularly used for the ORD route will be in the shop in early 2024, sure hope so.
kevinsac and mahdnc like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by susiesan
Maybe that's why my ET flights ORD-ADD and back in January are showing now as on a 787 Dreamliner instead of the old aircraft. Perhaps the planes regularly used for the ORD route will be in the shop in early 2024, sure hope so.
well, we are flying out in April, back in May. So hoping for the best we can get! So long as it’s a lie-flat and no chance of a BarcaLounger, we will be happy.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:16 pm

Any guess as to the type of seat and layout?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:12 pm

Any guess as to the type of seat and layout?
The plan is for the Collins Super Diamond assuming they can get the deliveries in time.
Parterre and turbofanblade like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 7:22 am

The plan is for the Collins Super Diamond assuming they can get the deliveries in time.

1-2-1
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:23 pm

Curious as well. Flying ORD-ADD and back May/June next year.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:36 pm

And I'll have another trip to Africa on the following September.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:40 pm

I am planning to fly ET from ADD-MNL. Was checking what aircraft is used for ET644. I really want to avoid the 788 angled flat, which I had once on ADD-VIE. Very uncomfortable to sleep. I know most ET Business class seats both the 2-2-2 and 1-2-1 on B789/A350 as flat bed and even the old flat beds in the 777 were actually good to sleep. Was checking flightaware and flightradar, however they show quite different results for the last couple days. Which one should have the more accurate info?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Safado007
Was checking flightaware and flightradar, however they show quite different results for the last couple days. Which one should have the more accurate info?
What do you mean that they show different results? They have the same data, so the results would have to be the same.

In any case, you could get any of the Boeing widebody types on this route depending on the demand on the day - ie. 788/789/77L/77W. The final decision will likely be taken within the last few hours prior to the flight.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:20 am

What do you mean that they show different results? They have the same data, so the results would have to be the same.

In any case, you could get any of the Boeing widebody types on this route depending on the demand on the day - ie. 788/789/77L/77W. The final decision will likely be taken within the last few hours prior to the flight.

That's what surprises me. Flightradar for example shows from July 7-11 exclusively B77L for ET644 while flightaware for the same dates B788/789. Very strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.