Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Ethiopian Long-Haul Aircraft with Flat Bed Seats
(UPDATED 05NOV23)

TOTAL : 59 aircraft - 49 with fully flat beds, 10 with 160-angled flat

At least 50+ aircraft with WiFi. WiFi has now been installed on almost all 787s in addition to the 777/350 fleet.

Boeing 777-200LRs
(Total 6 - with WiFi)

ET-ANN - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANO - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANP - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANQ - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANR - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-AQL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 777-300ERs
(Total 4 - with WiFi)

ET-APX - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-APY - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASK - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 787-8s
(Total 19 - most - if not all - now fitted with WiFi)

===
ET-AOO - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOP - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOQ - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOR - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOS - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOT - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOU - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOV - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARE - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARF - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ASG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATJ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel

NOTE : All B787-8 flights are loaded with the flat bed seatmap until between 48-72 hours prior to the flight. Check back within 48 hours when the actual aircraft is allocated and the seatmap may change. If row 11 shows seats ABC-DEF-JKL, then you have the old configuration. If it shows only seats JKL for row 11, then it is the new configuration.

Boeing 787-9s
(Total 10 - all equipped with WiFi)

ET-AUO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXS - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AXT - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)

Airbus 350-900s
(Total 20 - all equipped with Wifi)

ET-ATQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATY - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUA - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVE - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWM - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWN - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AYA - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYB - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYM - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZI - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?

Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Your LOPAs for the 787-8s are not accurate.

Notably, the type 2 configuration has the door 2 lav/galley unit entirely on the port side behind door 2 and consequently no row 11/12ABC nor 11/12/13/14DFH. Consequently, type 1 goes up to row 39 (with row 28 as exit row) while type 2 goes up to row 41 (with row 30 as exit row). The type 1 mid-galley has an ATLAS stowage unit on the forward side bulkhead of the galley, while the type 2 galley is entirely on the rear bulkhead and lateral bulkheads.
Thank you. I was able to study some photos of the 787-8 type 2 galley and the arrangement of the economy seating around this area. I hope this is more accurately depicted now
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Thank you. I was able to study some photos of the 787-8 type 2 galley and the arrangement of the economy seating around this area. I hope this is more accurately depicted now
Closer, but not quite. You still have row 12ABC/14DFH showing whereas the bulkhead starts at 13ABC and 15DFH. I can't recall if it is a double lavatory or a lavatory behind galley stowage in that area.
Prospero likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:27 am

I just booked some flights that included ORD-ADD and ADD-ORD. It says 787-8 but just scanning this thread, it sounds like not only can I not be sure if I'll get the lie flat or angle flat 787-8, but they might equipment change it out for a 789 or 777 altogether?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by bfwolf
I just booked some flights that included ORD-ADD and ADD-ORD. It says 787-8 but just scanning this thread, it sounds like not only can I not be sure if I'll get the lie flat or angle flat 787-8, but they might equipment change it out for a 789 or 777 altogether?
My wife and I flew that route about 2 months ago. We had a 787-8 (angled flat) on the way out and a 777L on the way back.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:26 pm

Exactly! That's a perfect summary of the Ethiopian Airlines pre-flight experience in a nutshell.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
My wife and I flew that route about 2 months ago. We had a 787-8 (angled flat) on the way out and a 777L on the way back.
when you booked it, did it say the return was a 777 or did it say it was a 787-8? I seem to recall you being surprised when you got a 777 when I read your story earlier in thread.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:05 am

when you booked it, did it say the return was a 777 or did it say it was a 787-8? I seem to recall you being surprised when you got a 777 when I read your story earlier in thread.
I believe that all US departures show the 787-8 seat map by default when booked. Toronto shows the A350-900 by default when booked. At least they show it by default whenever I look at it. In practice, the aircraft flown is not what you are shown early on. ANd the airline is free to change whatever seat map is shown at any time.

Out of ORD my research shows that you will get an angled-flat 787-8 about 40% - 50% of the time. The IAD morning departure is likely to get a 777-300 something like 80% - 90% of the time. Toronto will get either a A350-900 or a 777-200LR with a similar percentage. All the other departures get a mix of any of the long haul aircraft that ET operates.

This is based on my research for a trip between RD and LUN departing the end of August 2022 and returning in mid September. I was using my Silver subscription to FlghtRadar24 which shows a history of detailed flight data for the previous 90 days. So I was basically basing this on the ET flight history between North America and Addis in May 2022 through July 2022.

I just checked the aircraft used on ET575 (ORD-ADD) and over the last 90 days this used a B77L (777-200LR) four times, There were no flights between the two cities using an A359, 21 flights used the B789 (787-9, lie flat) and the remainder sere B788 (787-8) aircraft. This last group was a mix of angled fat and lie flat aircraft. It looks like the last group was made up of a light majority of angled flat aircraft (approximately 40% of the flights). But, as always, YMMV.
EqualOpp, elsenor and JoeYerardi like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:29 pm

There were no flights between the two cities using an A359,
The 777/787 fleet at Ethiopian use common rated crew so they can be swapped out at will. The Airbus 350 crew are obviously a different group, so that aircraft cannot be swapped in at short notice.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:22 am

I believe that all US departures show the 787-8 seat map by default when booked. Toronto shows the A350-900 by default when booked. At least they show it by default whenever I look at it. In practice, the aircraft flown is not what you are shown early on. ANd the airline is free to change whatever seat map is shown at any time.

Out of ORD my research shows that you will get an angled-flat 787-8 about 40% - 50% of the time. The IAD morning departure is likely to get a 777-300 something like 80% - 90% of the time. Toronto will get either a A350-900 or a 777-200LR with a similar percentage. All the other departures get a mix of any of the long haul aircraft that ET operates.

This is based on my research for a trip between RD and LUN departing the end of August 2022 and returning in mid September. I was using my Silver subscription to FlghtRadar24 which shows a history of detailed flight data for the previous 90 days. So I was basically basing this on the ET flight history between North America and Addis in May 2022 through July 2022.

I just checked the aircraft used on ET575 (ORD-ADD) and over the last 90 days this used a B77L (777-200LR) four times, There were no flights between the two cities using an A359, 21 flights used the B789 (787-9, lie flat) and the remainder sere B788 (787-8) aircraft. This last group was a mix of angled fat and lie flat aircraft. It looks like the last group was made up of a light majority of angled flat aircraft (approximately 40% of the flights). But, as always, YMMV.
I appreciate the data! I guess I'll get what I get. It's crazy that they don't retrofit these 10 planes, surely it would drive a lot of revenue for them from people who don't want to risk getting an angle flat.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:19 am

I appreciate the data! I guess I'll get what I get. It's crazy that they don't retrofit these 10 planes, surely it would drive a lot of revenue for them from people who don't want to risk getting an angle flat.
Ethiopian considers these seats to be flat because they provide a level surface for sleeping, albeit angled to the floor. Also, anecdotally (and consistent with my personal preference) these seats get higher passenger satisfaction scores from those who actually fly in them.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:34 am

Ethiopian considers these seats to be flat because they provide a level surface for sleeping, albeit angled to the floor. Also, anecdotally (and consistent with my personal preference) these seats get higher passenger satisfaction scores from those who actually fly in them.
I don't have your experience as I have only flown on this aircraft type once. My experience was pretty negative. We flew ET-AOO from ORD to ADD on August 29 this year. Even though the airframe is only 9 years old, the interior looks well used and on the border of being worn out. There were issues with the seat controls. I had to repeatedly use the seat controls to get even small adjustments in the configuration of the seat and the only controls that worked well were the ones for full upright and full bed mode. The padding in seat 2J was basically worn out and I could feel the metal frame through what was left of the padding. At 1.88m tall, I found the lack of a footwell pretty annoying. The footrest and the bottom end of the seat was also inoperative and I would tend to slide down in my sleep. Luckily the business class cabin was only about 30% - 40% occupied and I was able to grab extra bedding off unoccupied seats to supplement the lack of seat padding. If I had realized my seat had these issues, I would have grabbed one of the open interior pairs of seats but the other passengers were more experienced than I am and all these were grabbed within an hour or so of takeoff.

If this airframe is representative of the 10 oldest 788's that ET flies, they are in serious need of a refresh of some sort. If we fly ET on our next flights to southern Africa, we will probably route through IAD or YYZ to ensure we get a 777 or an A350.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Is 1C on the 787 blocked for crew? I bought tickets ADD-EWR, and my wife was placed in 1A and I in 1L. I switched to 1D (across the aisle from 1C) in the hopes that I can swap and sit next to her. Or do we need to switch to row 2 to book window and aisle next to each other?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by essexnyc
Is 1C on the 787 blocked for crew?
No, it's a bassinet position so will only be released for passengers with infants or at the airport.

Crew will be placed in 4JL if there are any seats blocked for them (usually only on intra-Africa segments for an engineer).
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
No, it's a bassinet position so will only be released for passengers with infants or at the airport.
Thank you, B747. So I guess I will keep 1A and 1D and ask them to swap 1D for 1C at the airport. Hopefully no infants in J on my ADD-EWR flight!!
B747-437B likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:32 am

The 19th A350-900 (ET-AZI) has been delivered this week and entered service today. It is equipped with the Safran Optima seat and has WiFi on board.

This brings the longhaul fleet up to 57 aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.