FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:55 am
megalab

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Depends on the route. Transatlantic routes will almost certainly have the older configuration (only the 3 ET-AS* airframes are usually used transatlantic with the new config)...

You can check the config assigned within the last 48 hours before the flight by checking the economy class seatmap - if the seatmap shows only seats JKL in row 11, its the newer config (as it has a different galley layout) and if the full row 11 is showing then it is the older config.
Just flew ET 575/574 ORD-ADD RT in J. Outbound we were delighted to get ET-AYC, a 789 with reverse herringbone pods. On the return we were stuck with ET-ARF, a 788 w/ angle flat seats. In both cases the seat map didn't reflect this until a few hours before flight time. In fact, outbound I didn't know about the new seat until I checked my bag at the airport. On the return flight it showed only JKL in row 11 that morning, but reverted to an old configuration by the time we got to ADD.

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Ah I see. Pardon my ignorance or naivety, but is this true? As in, does the angle lie flat actually recline to 180-degree, just with a slant to the floor? I assumed angle-lie flat meant the seat is only at 135 or 150-degree and that you'd have odd bumps when trying to sleep (particularly as I am a side / stomach sleeper, not a back sleeper).
I could sleep on my side in the angle flat seats, but as the pictures show, the seam between seat and back was lumpy and thus uncomfortable. Also, fully extending the seats left very little foot room if trying to sleep on your back, adding to the discomfort. OTOH, the new pods, while more desirable, were pretty narrow around the shoulders and footwells. Overall, below average seats for sleeping.