Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:32 pm

Pickup up a car from National in ORD this month, and I was already >50 miles down the I-94 when I realized the gate attendant didn't give me a copy of the RA.

Checked my email, nothing there either, also not in the SPAM folder. I did receive the "we're expecting you" email before I landed though, so they were able to reach me by email.

I did see the rental active in the app and everything looked correct, made a screenshot so at least I had something to go from, and I returned the car a few days later without hassles.

However, I'm wondering, what would I have done if I was caught in a traffic stop (I didn't actually get into one, just wondering)? I always have the RA ready in the car to prove that I legitimately rented the car, but I didn't have anything this time. Not sure if an officer would appreciate the display in the app either, since it's not the actual RA, just a reservation overview. I couldn't find an option to display the full RA in the app.

Is it normal to not get the RA, neither in hardcopy, neither by email?

I'll pay more attention next time, and I'd probably call and ask for a copy by email if I'd notice this too late again. What would you have done?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Just to close the loop here, I can confirm that if you book a prepaid rental through a 3rd party website (AutoSlash, Chase UR, etc) you can access your National Emerald Club benefits. A member of our team tested this exact scenario with National at the Orlando Airport (MCO) a few weeks ago by reserving an Intermediate car and pulled a Jaguar F-Pace SUV from the Emerald Executive Aisle (he had Emerald Executive status) and he was able to drive straight to the exit gate and the gate agent associated his Emerald Club member number right there based on his driver's license. To confirm, his Emerald Club member number was not associated with his reservation ahead of time.
Hmm. I actually had a slightly different experience. Admittedly, I didn't actually make it to the gate agent with a car from the aisle, so can't comment on if that works or not.

I recently rented from JFK with a reservation for a midsize booked through Chase UR. Got to the aisle, and the manager, who was hanging around, asked me what I had booked. I told him a midsize through Chase UR.
He said that I needed to go to the counter to fill out a contract. I told him I was an EE, and should be able to add my EC# directly at the gate. He said he didn't think so, and he called up some other manager who agreed with him.
So I went back to the counter, he printed out the contract, I signed, and then he says - you know, because you booked through a 3rd party, you can't pick from the aisle.
I showed him a conversation I had with the National twitter rep, who said that adding my EC# at the location is fine - but he was adamant. (At this point, I didn't think showing him the flyertalk thread would have helped any more )
Eventually, after seeing how much luggage I had, he was willing to let me "upgrade" to an SUV at no added cost... So all's well that ends well.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:23 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by yitzc
Hmm. I actually had a slightly different experience. Admittedly, I didn't actually make it to the gate agent with a car from the aisle, so can't comment on if that works or not.

I recently rented from JFK with a reservation for a midsize booked through Chase UR. Got to the aisle, and the manager, who was hanging around, asked me what I had booked. I told him a midsize through Chase UR.
He said that I needed to go to the counter to fill out a contract. I told him I was an EE, and should be able to add my EC# directly at the gate. He said he didn't think so, and he called up some other manager who agreed with him.
So I went back to the counter, he printed out the contract, I signed, and then he says - you know, because you booked through a 3rd party, you can't pick from the aisle.
I showed him a conversation I had with the National twitter rep, who said that adding my EC# at the location is fine - but he was adamant. (At this point, I didn't think showing him the flyertalk thread would have helped any more )
Eventually, after seeing how much luggage I had, he was willing to let me "upgrade" to an SUV at no added cost... So all's well that ends well.
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. It would have been interesting to know what would have happened had you proceeded directly to the exit gate. Since we originally posted about this, we've heard of others who have successfully had their Emerald/EE number associated with their rental at the exit gate, although I can't be sure any of them were at JFK. Would love to hear feedback from others on their experience with skipping the counter on a prepaid res with National.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:45 pm

I'm so confused by the acronyms.

EA = Emerald Aisle? or Executive Aisle? What about ES?

It would seem that Ea = Emerald, Es = Executive.

I dont have executive status with National, I just signed up for the free Emerald Club... so to get access to 'choose my own car' I'd need to reserve a midsize and choose from the EA not ES aisle... is this correct?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:56 pm

Correct. We have a whole FAQ sticky section for National, so I'm not sure why this was posted for Seattle specifically.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starbai
I'm so confused by the acronyms.

EA = Emerald Aisle? or Executive Aisle? What about ES?

It would seem that Ea = Emerald, Es = Executive.

I dont have executive status with National, I just signed up for the free Emerald Club... so to get access to 'choose my own car' I'd need to reserve a midsize and choose from the EA not ES aisle... is this correct?
ES = executive
Midsize would let you take anything from EA given that you have no status.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:54 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
@starbai moved your posts to our FAQ thread.

dwbf11
National Mod
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL, BA Silver, VS, BA Amex PP
Hi everyone
I'm flying into MCO this weekend from the UK and a couple of weeks ago I switched my rental car booking to National because I'd heard bad things about the queues to get cars from other companies. This is my first National booking.
I joined the Emerald Club, booked a Midsize, and then this week have status matched up to Executive Elite.
I understand that I can take any car from the Emerald Aisle or executive Area and I'll only be billed for the midsize.
I have three quick beginner questions:
- I can't see how to add a second driver (who shares my address etc). Can I do this at the kiosk on the way out?
- Is there any disadvantage from cancelling the booking and rebooking it, so that it definitely qualifies for the one-two-free promotion?
- Have I missed something here, e.g. could I save money by booking a different size? (I'm not after a bigger/fancier car on this trip, though...)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimboandtheJetset
Hi everyone
I'm flying into MCO this weekend from the UK and a couple of weeks ago I switched my rental car booking to National because I'd heard bad things about the queues to get cars from other companies. This is my first National booking.
I joined the Emerald Club, booked a Midsize, and then this week have status matched up to Executive Elite.
I understand that I can take any car from the Emerald Aisle or executive Area and I'll only be billed for the midsize.
I have three quick beginner questions:
- I can't see how to add a second driver (who shares my address etc). Can I do this at the kiosk on the way out?
- Is there any disadvantage from cancelling the booking and rebooking it, so that it definitely qualifies for the one-two-free promotion?
- Have I missed something here, e.g. could I save money by booking a different size? (I'm not after a bigger/fancier car on this trip, though...)
Thanks in advance for your help.
You can add the second driver at the exit booth when leaving the garage.

You don’t need to cancel the booking and re-book it to get the one two free. As long as the rental return date falls in the one two free promotion period then you will get the credit.

You need to book a midsize in order to pick from the aisle. You can’t book anything smaller.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Pickup up a car from National in ORD this month, and I was already >50 miles down the I-94 when I realized the gate attendant didn't give me a copy of the RA.

Checked my email, nothing there either, also not in the SPAM folder. I did receive the "we're expecting you" email before I landed though, so they were able to reach me by email.

I did see the rental active in the app and everything looked correct, made a screenshot so at least I had something to go from, and I returned the car a few days later without hassles.

However, I'm wondering, what would I have done if I was caught in a traffic stop (I didn't actually get into one, just wondering)? I always have the RA ready in the car to prove that I legitimately rented the car, but I didn't have anything this time. Not sure if an officer would appreciate the display in the app either, since it's not the actual RA, just a reservation overview. I couldn't find an option to display the full RA in the app.

Is it normal to not get the RA, neither in hardcopy, neither by email?

I'll pay more attention next time, and I'd probably call and ask for a copy by email if I'd notice this too late again. What would you have done?
This happened to me in FLL back in July. I kinda freaked out when I realized I didn’t get a copy of the RA. I always like to make sure the estimated price is as what I saw when I made the reservation.

I did the same thing and checked the app to make sure the car I was driving was showing in there.

I’ve never received a RA via email after exiting the booth, that would be a nice feature though. It would be nice to be able to just pull up the full RA pdf in the app as well.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Anyone knows what happened to the "Last Minute Specials"? nowhere to be found on the new site.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
It will be time renting with National at a location with an actual Emerald Club Aisle-- LAS.

I'm needing to add my spouse as an authorized Driver, will I need to wait in line at the counter @ LAS, or is there a booth near the Emerald Aisle in LAS where I can show my Wife's ID to add her as an authorized Driver?

If I do so at a booth by the Emerald Club, do I simply collect any checked luggage and proceed to the National Shuttle Bus?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Max M
It will be time renting with National at a location with an actual Emerald Club Aisle-- LAS.

I'm needing to add my spouse as an authorized Driver, will I need to wait in line at the counter @ LAS, or is there a booth near the Emerald Aisle in LAS where I can show my Wife's ID to add her as an authorized Driver?

If I do so at a booth by the Emerald Club, do I simply collect any checked luggage and proceed to the National Shuttle Bus?

Thanks!
You can do it at the exit booth on your way out. However, if she shares your last name, it's not necessary for you to manually add her. She is automatically an authorized driver.
aSiAnRiCk and MSP_Monopoly like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by GreeNYC
Anyone knows what happened to the "Last Minute Specials"? nowhere to be found on the new site.
They aren’t on the new site yet. Go here: https://legacy.nationalcar.com/en_US...l-results.html
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

They aren’t on the new site yet. Go here: https://legacy.nationalcar.com/en_US...l-results.html
Thanks. But I can't find any location with a last minute special available. Maybe it's just because of Labor Day weekend, or perhaps it's gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.