Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

****UNOFFICIAL NATIONAL/ALAMO/ENTERPRISE FAQ INDEX****

Created by drzoidberg, 05/25/09.

This FAQ list is intended to answer the most commonly asked questions about National/Alamo/Enterprise (well, primarily National) car rentals, while also avoiding overlap with the information present on National's website. Hopefully the following Q&A will be helpful; if you spot a mistake in one of my answers, feel free to PM me. Or if you would like to see a particular question asked, PM myself or the moderator Peteropny, and post the same question in this thread so we may get an answer.

I. INITIAL RESERVATIONS

(#1) Q: If I book a reservation using a free rental day coupon code, then later cancel my reservation, what happens to my free rental day code?

A: Fear not, your code is still available for use except in the case of the "banked" free days which may have expired in the interim (Reservation made in Nov for rental in Jan using a free day that expires on 12/31 - the free day will be lost if you cancel after 12/31).

(#2) Q: Does National charge for an additional driver?

A: If the additional driver has a driver's license that shows the same address as you and you are an Emerald Club member, there is no charge. For others, there is a per diem charge that is station dependent, but generally runs around $9.99. Certain corporate contracts allow all employed by the same company to drive the car for no additional charge on business rentals.

(#3) Q: Will National charge me a fee for not canceling a reservation within 24 hours of the arrival?

A: National reserves the right to charge renters for not canceling promptly, however, in practice, no renters on this forum have ever been charged for canceling at the last minute.

(#4) Q: When do cheaper weekend rates start and end?

A: Weekend rates generally run between Thursday to Monday, 9am-9am.

(#5) Q: What should I do if my flight has been delayed and I won’t be able to pickup the car as scheduled?

A: When possible, call the station to notify them of your late arrival. When booking, enter as much of the flight information into the provided boxes so that the staff can adjust should your flight plans be skewed. Generally, your rates should not be affected unless it interrupts weekend eligibility.

(#6) Q: Are coupons / "corporate codes" combinable?

A: "Corporate codes" & coupons from various sources are usually combinable. Coupons aren't "stackable" (using more than one coupon) except in certain instances such as redeeming 1-2-Free reward days. Also, usage of "banked" awards are not combinable with other coupons.

(#7) Q: Can separate reservations be linked?

A: Generally reservations that are separate (in order to lower the total cost through weekend time frame, coupon / award usage etc) are not combinable and the renter will need to exchange cars at the rental location. However, some people have been successful when they called the rental location on the day of the "contract change" and get them to do it over the phone without having to go through the exchange process. Don't count on it however.

(#8) Q: How does the one-class upgrades for Executive / Elite members work?

A: For Aisle locations at "major" airports, unless you specifically reserve a particular class (Emerald Reserve), you are entitled to take cars off the Executive Selection / Aisle without any further upgrading (occasionally there are upgraded cars placed in the ES which you are entitled to take). Executive Selection reservations are usually categorized as Full-Size but billed at the Mid-Size rate. For smaller "non-aisle" locations (or for reserving a particular class - Emerald Reserve), you should be charged for one category less than you reserved (eg reserve a Premium but charged for FullSize). However, the reservation engine will not show the "discount" until you've completed the reservation - just note the cost of the "one class" less than what you are reserving.

For a more detailed chart, please see this explanation by joet00.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16618521-post1.html

Emerald Club Members

Reserve ECONOMY. Pay ECONOMY. Choose ER-ECONOMY.
Reserve COMPACT. Pay COMPACT. Choose ER-COMPACT.
Reserve MIDSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose EA or ER-MIDSIZE.
Reserve STANDARD. Pay STANDARD. Choose ER-STANDARD.
Reserve FULLSIZE. Pay FULLSIZE. Choose ER-FULLSIZE.
Reserve PREMIUM. Pay PREMIUM. Choose ER-PREMIUM.
Reserve LUXURY. Pay LUXURY. Choose ER-LUXURY.

Executive/Executive Elite

Reserve ECONOMY. Pay ECONOMY. Choose ER-ECONOMY.
Reserve COMPACT. Pay COMPACT. Choose ER-COMPACT.
Reserve MIDSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-MIDSIZE.
Reserve STANDARD. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-STANDARD.
Reserve FULLSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-FULLSIZE.
Reserve PREMIUM. Pay FULLSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-PREMIUM.
Reserve LUXURY. Pay PREMIUM. Choose ES, EA or ER-LUXURY.

What To Do

“RESERVE”: After you’ve entered your trip details, you choose your car from the Step 2: Select from these available cars screen. (If you’re Executive/ExecElite, don’t worry about the rate you see on this screen.)

“PAY”: After you’ve selected your car, you’ll see the base confirmed rate, plus discounts and coupons, on the Step 3: Select rental options and calculate total screen. Executive/ExecElite members will see their one-class-lower rate here.

“CHOOSE”: When you get to the pick-up location that has Emerald Reserve (ER), Emerald Aisle (EA) and/or Executive Selection (ES), you can pick any car from the appropriate section. Of course, in places where you are assigned a car at the counter, the agent chooses for you.

(#9) Q: How many credits do I earn per rental?

A: Please refer to this handy chart below.

Rental Length: Credits Earned:
---------------------------------
01-07 days _ Credits: 1
08-11 days _ Credits: 2
12-15 days _ Credits: 3
16-19 days _ Credits: 4+

II. CAR PICKUP/RETURN

(#1) Q: Which cars can I take if I booked a full-size, and I’m an Emerald Executive member?

A: You may take any car from the Emerald Aisle (mix of compact + small-SUV + mid-size sedans) or the Executive Select Aisle (mid-SUV + mid-size sedans + full size sedans + a sprinkling of premium sedans). Normally it is also acceptable to take a car from the category reserved or less (eg fullsize or less for Executive members and mid size or less for Emerald members). It is NOT acceptable to "self upgrade" to a higher category unless directed to by an employee / manager.

(#2) Q: What is Emerald Reserve?

A: ER is when you book a specific car class other than Full-Size (e.g. Compact, Mini-Van, Luxury, Premium, SUV, Cross-over). You may see some of those aforementioned cars on the EA/ES aisles, but for a guaranteed car in that particular class, book Emerald Reserve. You will be directed to the section housing cars in that class, and you are free to take any car from that section.

(#3) Q: Which cars can I take if I’m not an Emerald Executive member, and my reservation says, “Emerald Counter”?

A: Go to the counter station, and speak to the representative. He/she will direct you to a vehicle; you may have an option of selecting a car depending on demand. Emerald Counters are frequently the method of service at smaller regional locations.

(#4) Q: Does National offer a grace period for late returns?

A: Yes, there is a 29 minute grace period, and additional (hefty) charges may apply after that (beyond 2-3 hours an additional day will be charged). In some extenuating cases, the managers may waive the charges.

(#5) Q: Will National request a physical copy of my coupon upon checkout?

A: National reserves the right to request a physical copy, but realistically speaking, in this world of e-coupons, they very seldom, if ever, request a physical copy of the coupon on checkout. However, always bring a copy with you.

(#6) Q: Is it possible to rent a hybrid class?

A: National does not have any specific hybrid classes in its aisles, but you can frequently find Toyota Priuses or the like sitting in the vanilla Emerald Aisle. Keep your eyes peeled! If you really want a hybrid for your rental, you may also want to look in the appropriate area (eg Mid-size for Toyota Prius) since sometimes there could be one "hiding" there while there is none in the Emerald Aisle / Executive Selection. This is common at some locations such as SFO.

(#7) Q: Can I exchange a car mid-way during a rental?

A: Yes you can, members have done it for various reasons, including but not limited to, mechanical problems, cigarette smoke, not liking the particular car, etc..
See this post below by member bocastephen for more detailed instructions on how to swap a car mid-rental.

Here are the steps I've used:

1) return the car - tell the agent you are doing an exchange and do not close out the rental agreement, abbreviated as RA, (you may need to get aggressive here to make sure they're paying attention and don't close it by mistake). Make sure you don't forget anything in the old car - and make sure it's gassed full before returning.

2) go to whichever Aisle you are qualified for and pick out your new car, then lock the doors and take the keys

3) go to the service counter with your existing printed RA (if you have it) and tell them you want an exchange - if they give you grief about the new car type, remind them you're an EA/ES customer and you got the car from the Aisle to stop them from any upgrade charges or re-rates

4) take newly printed RA to the car and show it at the exit booth

(#8) Q: What information about me is visible to the checkout agent?

A: Your status (club, Exec, Elite etc), and your EC profile (name/DL info/EC status/any ff numbers/if you decline or accept coverages on a reg basis/if you decline or accept the fuel option on a reg basis/ if you want a gps on a reg basis/ what Rate ID has been assigned to your EC account). For security none of the staff would see your credit card# (except for the last 4 digits).

Originally posted by MilesMonster in another thread but summarizes this another concise way so I'm copying the post here:

When renting with National, there are two different types of locations: Emerald Club and non-aisle locations. These are noted when you make your reservation by three different reservation types: 'Emerald Club' (has the self-serve Emerald Aisle), 'Counter' (non-aisle), and 'Emerald Reserve,' which is for a non-standard reservation at an Emerald Club location (i.e. you reserved a convertible, 15-passenger van, etc.).

At 'Counter' (non-aisle) locations, you go to the booth near the lot or in the terminal where they'll typically give you the option of a couple cars in the class you booked and give you the keys.

At Emerald Club locations, there is the regular Emerald Aisle (EA) and Executive Selection (ES). If you're a basic Emerald Club member, you select anything from from the EA when booking the mid-size rate. In theory, there should be a variety of mid-size and full-size cars in the EA. If you've reached Exec or Exec Elite status, you can reserve a mid-size and select any car you wish from either EA or ES areas. In the ES, there should be slightly nicer cars. In practice, it varies depending on the local management and your opinion of the cars. Knowing how National classifies car models will help. For instance, one might assume a Malibu to be mid-size, but it's classified as a full-size right along with the Impala. A Fusion, Sonata, Avenger are standard cars (aka 'SCAR'), which technically is one level higher than a mid-size (aka intermediate 'ICAR'). All would be considered upgrades over the basic ICAR reservation. Oddly, I cannot think of a car I've had that's been an actual ICAR - which allows National to send me a quarterly e-mail to remind me I've received an upgrade on 100% of my rentals. In my experience, all cars parked on the EA have been 'SCAR' (Fusion, Sonata, Avenger, Sebring) or 'FCAR' (Malibu, Impala, Camry, Charger) and the ES have been 'FCAR' (Malibu, Impala, Charger, Camry) along with a few 'PCAR' (Taurus, 300 Touring, Grand Marquis, LaCrosse, Lucerne). The ES will occasionally throw in some various SUV and minivans. Notice there is some overlap between the EA and ES, depending on the airport; and details on specific airports can be found starting in this thread.

Additionally at Emerald Club locations, if you have booked and expect something specifically other than ICAR (i.e. Convertible, Luxury, Van, Fullsize SUV, etc.), you would find the Emerald Reserve section matching the class you reserved. At non-aisle locations, you'll get a car matching your class reserved at the booth or counter.

Keep in mind that once you've reached Exec and Exec Elite status, to get your upgrade you need to book one class above what you're willing to pay. For instance, if your employer's policy is to book a full size, make a reservation for a premium car to actually receive a premium car. You'll automatically be billed for a full size upon return (it's far less transparent to the customer, but that's how the upgrades work). If you reserve a full-size, you will be billed for a mid-size upon return. I learned that trick the hard way after dealing with counter agents who are sticklers with car classes - typically in smaller/non-aisle metro areas.

III. EMERALD CLUB/REWARDS PROGRAMS

(#1) Q: Do I get rental credits for car rentals overseas?

A: No, rental credits are restricted to renting in the US/Canada.

(#2) Q: Do I get rental credits for making consecutive rentals?

A: If renting from the same location for two rentals, at least one minute on two separate calendar days must separate the dropoff of the first rental and the pickup of the second rental (eg drop off at 11:59PM on 6/1 & pickup at 12:00AM on 6/2), in order for you get receive credits for BOTH rentals. Consecutive "one-way" rentals (eg rental 1 pickup at ABC and return at XYZ & rental 2 pickup at XYZ and return at ABC) should earn you two rental credits even if ABC is an airport and XYZ is the corresponding "city" location.

(#3) Q: Will Enterprise rentals give me National Emerald Club Credit?

A: YES, they will, as long as you associate your National Emerald Club Number with the Enterprise Rental.

https://www.enterprise.com/car_renta...orateSplash.do

Click on the tab to the right that says "Emerald Club"

(#4) Q: What are the requirements for Emerald Club / Executive / Executive Elite status levels?

A: Emerald Club is the basic level for people who rent 1-11 times or 1-39 days in a calendar year.
Executive is the "mid tier" for people who rent 12-24 times or 40-84 days in a calendar year.
Executive Elite is the "top tier" for people who rent 25+ times or 85+ days in a calendar year.

(#5) Q: How does the rental rewards (banked) program work?

A: Each time a member rents, they get one rental credit (if the rental is longer than 4 days, 1 rental credit is granted for every 4 days). When a member reaches the criteria for an award day (7 credits for Emerald, 6 credits for Executive, 5 credits for Executive Elite), the rental credits get converted into a "banked" award day. The "banked" award day expire on December 31 of the year following the conversion (creation) of the "banked" award day. There is currently no way for people other than CSRs to see when the "banked" days expire, so you will need to call to get this information if there is a concern with the expiration of "banked" award days.

(#6) Q: Do rental credits and earned free days go by the status earned or by your current status?

A: Rental credits and earned free days go by your current status. For instance, if you have 3 rental credits as an executive and then become an exec. elite you will only need two more credits (even though the first three credits were earned as an executive). Unfortunately the reverse is also true, so if you have three credits as an exec. elite and come March 1 you are downgraded, then you will need three more credits to earn a free day. Same goes for earned free days. So if you have 7 earned free days as an exec. and can hold onto them for when you will become exec. elite, you'll be much better off. Instead of 7 free days with a fullsize car, magically you will have 7 days with a luxury car or minivan. Unfortunately, the reverse is true here as well.

(#7) Q: Does National have a "soft landing" policy for Executives and Executive Elites who fail to requalify?

A. No, status is based on rentals in the qualifying year (current) for the following year only.

(#8) Q: Does National do any "status matching" for elite members of other car rental companies?

A. Prior to 2012 , generally no; however, I believe that they have started matching now. However, if your company recently switched to National (or you just switched jobs to a company with a National contract), ask your travel department to contact the company's National rep since there may have been a deal in place for frequent travelers to give them higher status than general Emerald Club.

If you have Avis/Hertz status, then you can status match here:

https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/

(#9) Q: Are award days transferrable?

A. "Banked" award days earned through rental credits and deposited in your account are attached to the account and not transferable. Promotional award days, 1-2-Free awards, are issued as unique coupon codes so while technically not transferable, they basically are.

IV. CUSTOMER SERVICE

(#1) Q: What is the best way to get in touch with National Customer Service?

A: They have to deal with significant volumes of e-mail, so telephone is the best medium to obtain service. For customer service, call 1-(800) 468-3334. For reservations, call 1-(877) 222-9058. For roadside assistance, call 1-(800) 367-6767 (USA) or 1-(800) 268 9711 (Canada)

(#2) Q: What do I do if I’m midway through my trip and I need to extend my rental by a few days?

A: Call the National 1-800 Customer Service line to have them adjust the rental for you.

V. MISCELLANEOUS

(#1) Q: Should I tip the car attendants to retrieve a car from the wash for me?

A: No, do not tip the car attendants. Speak to the station manager if you would like a different vehicle.

(#2) Q: I rent continuously or XXX/days of the year and provide thousands of dollars worth of business to National. Can I get some sort of long-term arrangement?

A: Speak to the manager about that; they’d probably be more than happy to oblige.

(#3) Q: What happens if I get a parking / speeding ticket while driving in a National vehicle?

A: National will send you the bill, along with a service surcharge.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jul 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
National/ Alamo Questions?

Feel free to ask me anything related to National/ Alamo. Sorry I cant help you with spefic fleet/model availability as that varies city to city, state to state.

Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Great thread idea rentalguy! Don't worry about the fleet availability though. As I'm sure you've seen, we've all taken care of each other by making observations at the major airport locations for what's on the aisle or in reserve.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by rentalguy
Feel free to ask me anything related to National/ Alamo. Sorry I cant help you with spefic fleet/model availability as that varies city to city, state to state.

Thanks.
Hi, rentalguy! I one of the long-time national customer vets on the boards - so figured I might chime in..

I have been renting continuously since May 2005, with a monthly re-up and a 6 month switch on vehicles. (My company reimburses me for the RA's.) I have a couple of basic questions I was hoping you might answer:

Does Enterprise plan to, or are they already, integrating their actual business renting software in with National's, to try to futher streamline the two programs? Or are they planning to keep National as a relatively completely seperate entity (rental history, profile, preferences, etc).

My other question is something I've posted in the forum awhile ago - is there anyone I might contact to amend the 1-2-free eligibility of rewards for customers that rent continuously through the promotion period. Since it relies heavily on amount of rentals, and doesn't take into consideration length of rentals (ie rental days), I only ever earn 2 or 3 free days, while others can earn upwards of 20-30. This qualification is seen in Executive Elite status, where National does take into consideration rental days, not just seperate RA's.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask some pointed questions.

Warm regards,

Ritz

Last edited by Ritz; Mar 7, 2009 at 5:19 am
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I have one as well.

How come National Customer Service is getting slower and slower to respond to e-mail inquiries, if they even respond at all?

I remember not long ago National was the king of CS...I'd send an e-mail question or comment and get a response within 24 hours, as promised by the website. Now they've changed to say they'll respond "in a timely manner". My last inquiry went a whole month before I got a response, the response being them telling me sorry it's taking so long. I've noticed this only seemed to happen after National switched over to the ERAC-style "discussion thread" system, does that have something to do with it?

I'm not meaning to sound complainy, more just curious as to how they went on this slide from having once been the best, and wondering if anything is being done about it.

Cheers,

Tuneman
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by Ritz
Hi, rentalguy! I one of the long-time national customer vets on the boards - so figured I might chime in..

I have been renting continuously since May 2005, with a monthly re-up and a 6 month switch on vehicles. (My company reimburses me for the RA's.) I have a couple of basic questions I was hoping you might answer:

Does Enterprise plan to, or are they already, integrating their actual business renting software in with National's, to try to futher streamline the two programs? Or are they planning to keep National as a relatively completely seperate entity (rental history, profile, preferences, etc).

My other question is something I've posted in the forum awhile ago - is there anyone I might contact to amend the 1-2-free eligibility of rewards for customers that rent continuously through the promotion period. Since it relies heavily on amount of rentals, and doesn't take into consideration length of rentals (ie rental days), I only ever earn 2 or 3 free days, while others can earn upwards of 20-30. This qualification is seen in Executive Elite status, where National does take into consideration rental days, not just seperate RA's.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask some pointed questions.

Warm regards,

Ritz
Hi Ritz,

The 2 systems are not going to be integrated so to speak as National's system is designed for quick rental transactions and is cumbersome to use for split billings and insurance claims etc while Enetrprise is desgined exactly for that function but not so much for an airport type business traveller. HAving said that, Enterprise locations that are located on airports will be moving to National's computer system, in order to facilitate some of that corporate travel. Training of the ERAC employees has already started in select US test markets. For now, the customer profiles are completely seperated.

With respect to the 1, 2 Free promo, it was designed to faciliate more rental tranactions as opposed to rental days. You will still get your usual rental day credits based on the duration of your rental for your normal elite qualification but for the 1, 2 Free, its based on transactions. Having said that, it wouldnt hurt to call the Emerald Club customer service line and see what they can do for you. Or, talk to your local manager where you are renting from. They may be able to offer you a couple free days, but I doubt much more beyond that, because in effect with this promo, you can double dip.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I have one as well.

How come National Customer Service is getting slower and slower to respond to e-mail inquiries, if they even respond at all?

I remember not long ago National was the king of CS...I'd send an e-mail question or comment and get a response within 24 hours, as promised by the website. Now they've changed to say they'll respond "in a timely manner". My last inquiry went a whole month before I got a response, the response being them telling me sorry it's taking so long. I've noticed this only seemed to happen after National switched over to the ERAC-style "discussion thread" system, does that have something to do with it?

I'm not meaning to sound complainy, more just curious as to how they went on this slide from having once been the best, and wondering if anything is being done about it.

Cheers,

Tuneman
Hi Tuneman,

I'm surprised about that as we usually hear back at an Operations level for any service issues usually within 48hrs. On top of that, anytime a complaint or service issue comes in (either through the website, customer service line etc), a QSP (Quality Service Program) file is opened. If the issue is resolved at that time, then fine. Otherwise we recieve a report daily for any OPEN or pending service issues. We need to resolve the compaint within 48hrs after its received at a city level. In fact we get ANOTHER report and get s**t if we haven't done so. Part of the delay could be becuase they are trying to consolidate some of the web support and call centres in order to support all 3 brands, but usually the response time is pretty good (I know, as I get the complaints to follow up
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I have a question- how does Alamo fit into all of this? Are there plans to retain Alamo as a viable part of the company in the future? Alamo seems to be the less expensive version of National, but in this economy, it seems like an unnecessary duplicate of National.

Why not just do away with Alamo, but keep National at airport and Enterprise at neighborhood locations?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I have a question- how does Alamo fit into all of this? Are there plans to retain Alamo as a viable part of the company in the future? Alamo seems to be the less expensive version of National, but in this economy, it seems like an unnecessary duplicate of National.

Why not just do away with Alamo, but keep National at airport and Enterprise at neighborhood locations?
Alamo isnt going away. Surprisingly, it is a huge brand in the leisure and oversees tour business. In fact Alamo has the #1 market share in the UK and is also the Market leader in Florida and Nevada. Besides all the Europeans that come to North America love the brand and know it better than National. Enterprise is unheard of (although they have offices in the UK and parts of Germany). In most places in FLA and NV, it's ALAMO/ NATIONAL, not the other way around. The company generates more revenue from Alamo then it does from National in these areas. On top of that the avg rental length is much longer with Alamo than National. And again from an oversees perspective people that travel into North America, everyone knows Alamo and most wont have heard of Eneterprise. The brand is also very much tied with tour operators and travel agents which do a great job of selling prepaid tour vouchers for the Alamo brand. Not even Hertz and AVIS can match Alamo from an inbound Oversees segment. Having said that, we are reducing the exposure the brand has in some lesser "tourist" markets, and in places where there was an network of OFF AIRPORT Alamo locations (such as Canada), they are being eliminated and will be available just at Airports. But the 3 brands do target distinct segments in the market. Alamo may be removed in non tourist desitnations. I dont see it staying in places like OMAHA or NEBRASKA for example. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:42 am

I have a question about picking up the car late with either Alamo or National.

Say I make my reservation for a specific time to pick up the rental and receive a rate quote, then my flight is delayed and I pick up the vehicle 2 hours, 4 or even 8 hours late. Assuming that this delay in picking up the vehicle does not push me out of eligibility for a weekend or weeky rate, will my original quote still be honored? Does it matter if the pickup location is at an airport or is an off-airport site? Thanks -- Suzanne
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rentalguy
Alamo isnt going away. Surprisingly, it is a huge brand in the leisure and oversees tour business. In fact Alamo has the #1 market share in the UK and is also the Market leader in Florida and Nevada. Besides all the Europeans that come to North America love the brand and know it better than National.
Thanks rentalguy, I never knew Alamo was of such importance!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
I have a question about picking up the car late with either Alamo or National.

Say I make my reservation for a specific time to pick up the rental and receive a rate quote, then my flight is delayed and I pick up the vehicle 2 hours, 4 or even 8 hours late. Assuming that this delay in picking up the vehicle does not push me out of eligibility for a weekend or weeky rate, will my original quote still be honored? Does it matter if the pickup location is at an airport or is an off-airport site? Thanks -- Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,

It depends on the rate product that was booked and the parameters tied into that. As long as you said it doesnt push you out of a weekend eligibility etc you should be fine. The key to all of this is to make sure when you book, you list your airline and flight number. Beleive it or not, we put a lot of stock in that for a number of reasons. If you dont pick up your rental, we'll look at the flight and see if it is delayed. If it is, we'll also wait for the flight to arrive before we close if it a late evening flight(some airports do shut down). By the same token if you are lets say 4 hours late picking up your rental, we'll check to see if the flight came in. If it did, and you didnt show up, we'll cancel the res. So to answer your question, if your flight info is in there, most of the time (if it doesnt go outside your weekend, promo perameters etc), the rate will be honoured. If you havent listed a flight number, we treat it as a walk in reservation, so if the perameters do change, your rate may not be honoured.
Sorry for thel long winded answer, hope that somewhat helps.

Off airport is a little different. As long as the pick up parameters dont change, you should be fine. The other aspect is not only the pick up time but the return time. Lets say your rate is based on a 8am pick up with an 8am return for a special weekend rate. Lets day you pick up your car at 1pm, and choose to return at 1pm the next day, it could change the rate. It really depends.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is it possible to reserve a hybrid? The counter staff and valets at MSP have told me that there is inventory based there and they are adding to it but there is no hybrid class to book online. I have been given various answers by the onsite staff that suggest calling either the local counter or national center to add a note to an existing reservation.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Is it possible to reserve a hybrid? The counter staff and valets at MSP have told me that there is inventory based there and they are adding to it but there is no hybrid class to book online. I have been given various answers by the onsite staff that suggest calling either the local counter or national center to add a note to an existing reservation.
As we get more and more in the fleet, you will be able to eventually, but right now quantities are so limited that they are basically used as upgrades or walk ups upon arrival. You could call the office directly and have them make a notation on the rez, however the way our system is set up, there is no way to see the notes ahead of time, only when they actually pull up your reservation will they see the notation (kind of defeats the purpose for planning ahead, but thats how the system is).
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I have always enjoyed getting Volvos and Volkswagens from the Executive Selection when renting from National. In fact, this has driven a lot of loyalty from me. Can we expect to continue to see European cars on the Aisles or should I reset my expectations (and perhaps my rental dollars) for Nissans, Toyotas and those GMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.