Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:17 am

C2w-C3 RT 71 eur ai (hint: scheme as C2-C6) ... many more opportunities

Last edited by man4business; Oct 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm Reason: price / place optimization
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aktchi
See what it says at the top of every page: "Do not call the airlines under any conditions!"
But there has to be some logical exception(s) to this PARANOID statement.
For example, you can do a 100% completely legitimate TURN-AROUND OPEN JAW and get ZERO YQ/YR on your ticketed price.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:07 am Reason: TOS 12 and 18
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Igetit
For example, you can do a 100% completely legitimate TURN-AROUND OPEN JAW and get ZERO YQ/YR on your ticketed price.
Nobody has an issue with posting non-sensitive information or advice. Despite all the secrecy, new people who invest the time can and do pick up this hobby all the time.

Tony, this is a strange passion to have my friend. Maybe you ought to fly some of these tricks one day.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:08 am Reason: Conform edited quote
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:57 am

The problem is that Igetit doesn't have "real" experience about this matter.

Airline can do what they want with your ticket. It doesn't matter if you are playing correctly with all the fare rules. If the airline want to cancel the ticket you can be sure that they will do it.

Most of people don't want to lose time suing an airline. It's just a big pain.

The first rule in this game is to stay always under the radar and any FDer with a little bit of experience now this rule.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:10 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum, Aeroplan
What is a Turn-Around Open Jaw ? Can you give an example of such itinerary ?

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:11 am Reason: Confirm edited quote
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum, Aeroplan
How can you determine that a fare is dumpable, just from the FARE RULES ?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:20 am

You should be able to send 5 private messages daily, use them to chat with your friend, got it?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by InstantElite
What is a Turn-Around Open Jaw ? Can you give an example of such itinerary ?
Posting any such example would be in violation of the updated rules which you can read easily on this page.
I would suggest reading through it.

Originally Posted by InstantElite
How can you determine that a fare is dumpable, just from the FARE RULES ?
With practice. Like all things in FD.

There is no silver bullet, despite what some that claim to get it may say.
Most of the time these types are more clueless than the average noob.
There is much more that can be learned here in this thread than in such groups.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by napolivola
You should be able to send 5 private messages daily, use them to chat with your friend, got it?
Thats NOT the intension of his post. The intension is to create FAKE demand to give our beloved travel agent a reason to teach the world his primer.

The information about it he already obtained underground like the guy from the blogs in there.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:54 am

^
Originally Posted by RangeXT
Thats NOT the intension of his post. The intension is to create FAKE demand to give our beloved travel agent a reason to teach the world his primer.

The information about it he already obtained underground like the guy from the blogs in there.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Please see below.

Originally Posted by jorun
Airline can do what we want with your ticket. It doesn't matter if you are playing correctly with all the fare rules. If the airline want to cancel the ticket you can be sure that they will do it...The first rule in this game is to stay always under the radar and any FDer with a little bit of experience know this rule.
Great advice. There are two levels of risks mentioned above. Newcomers who fly rarely are often concerned about the one ticket they have bought. "Will it be canceled if it came to notice?" "I have already flown this and that, so there is no significant risk left", etc.

Experienced FD'ers are more concerned with preserving the trick/deal itself. They want to use it again in future and many also have the spirit to keep it alive for the community of their fellow-FDers.

Now, this doesn't even have to involve a trick on our part. Perhaps the ticket self-dumped under specific conditions (OTA, origin, destination, routing, position of Moon when you clicked "Buy", whatever). However, as long as the airline didn't intend to sell at that price and it came to their attention, they can not only cancel the issued tickets in many situations, but will certainly make the opportunity go away for future. A lot of times that's why we are trying to remain under radar.

In other words, don't do anything that can cause a human being to pull up your reservation. That includes seat assignments, upgrades, "why can't I get another ticket at the same price for my brother", miles that are taking too long to post, and refund requests for the segments you skipped. You never know how dumb or smart, careless or dedicated that individual is.

There is only one unavoidable exception to this: irrops. When that happens, you'll have to call the carrier or they will call you. Fortunately, you'd be protected by the law of large crowds, ie, you'd be one of hundreds/thousands of flyers the airline is trying to move somehow and nobody will have time or inclination to study your ticket. Odds will be on your side and they have always worked out for me. Even so, my goal in such situations remains to quietly get a new boarding pass and move on, without any unnecessary discussion.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:17 am Reason: Conform edited quote
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Anyone seen dumpable C1ne to Hawaii fares ? All of the itineraries I found don't have any YQ
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Anyone seen dumpable C1ne to Hawaii fares ? All of the itineraries I found don't have any YQ
Your original assessment seems correct - no YQ, no FD
(unless u want to route C1ne to Hawaii via somewhere exotic! - price won't go down, but u could have a nice trip)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Please see below.

Great advice. There are two levels of risks mentioned above. Newcomers who fly rarely are often concerned about the one ticket they have bought. "Will it be canceled if it came to notice?" "I have already flown this and that, so there is no significant risk left", etc.

Experienced FD'ers are more concerned with preserving the trick/deal itself. They want to use it again in future and many also have the spirit to keep it alive for the community of their fellow-FDers.

Now, this doesn't even have to involve a trick on our part. Perhaps the ticket self-dumped under specific conditions (OTA, origin, destination, routing, position of Moon when you clicked "Buy", whatever). However, as long as the airline didn't intend to sell at that price and it came to their attention, they can not only cancel the issued tickets in many situations, but will certainly make the opportunity go away for future. A lot of times that's why we are trying to remain under radar.

In other words, don't do anything that can cause a human being to pull up your reservation. That includes seat assignments, upgrades, "why can't I get another ticket at the same price for my brother", miles that are taking too long to post, and refund requests for the segments you skipped. You never know how dumb or smart, careless or dedicated that individual is.

There is only one unavoidable exception to this: irrops. When that happens, you'll have to call the carrier or they will call you. Fortunately, you'd be protected by the law of large crowds, ie, you'd be one of hundreds/thousands of flyers the airline is trying to move somehow and nobody will have time or inclination to study your ticket. Odds will be on your side and they have always worked out for me. Even so, my goal in such situations remains to quietly get a new boarding pass and move on, without any unnecessary discussion.
I'm, from time to time, also concerned with passport checks (I hold nationality which requires visa to almost anywhere). When it's economy ticket, I just pick the time when the queue becomes quite big. But on premium tickets there is hardly anything i can do anything to make check-in desk not to pay attention.

Last edited by maxvor; Oct 4, 2016 at 3:40 pm Reason: corrected typo
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by maxvor
I'm, from time to time, also concerned with passport checks (I hold nationality which requires visa to almost anywhere). When it's economy ticket, I just pick the time when the queue becomes quite big. But on premium tickets there is hardly anything i can do anything to make check-in desk not to pay attention.
Sure, if you cannot OLCI then initial checking in is a tense moment. Congrats to you if you are able to combine FD with premium cabin; for me FD'd tickets are always in coach.

My MO has been to use the general line (even if I would qualify for the elite one due to status).

I also try to be prepared for some casual small talk about the "x" part of the ticket. They are not always suspicious or "investigating"; it could just be "Wow, you will visit FDville in March! My daughter went there for Peace Corps." I have had a few of these over the years. One was, "Is it safe over there?". Say whatever you want---"I have a good friend there" is generally good, although in this case I'd start talking about her daughter---just don't look flustered or sound defensive.

I am even prepared for something as blunt as "Your ticket is missing YQ or XYZ surcharge" with a genuinely sincere "What's that?" Never had this happen though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.