Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fly4Fly
All carriers dead for dumping now?
Do you mean what has bee already mentioned here? Not deat but the benefits from dumping are much reduced... If you need to fly SAS has promotional fares now, even 234 eur C2-C3 (posted on blogs so you will find it easily).http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27178394-post44523.html

Last edited by man4business; Sep 17, 2016 at 8:28 am Reason: typo correction
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Igetit
YQ to Japan from USA? Ha?
Again you think in narrow straight line fashion.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Sep 17, 2016 at 6:10 am
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by man4business
SAS has promotional fares now, even 234 eur C1-C3 (posted on blogs so you will find it easily).
SAS files fares C1-C3 ??

All carriers dead for dumping now? Seems like regular fares completely won the price game
Yes we are confused. What about the super low sub 250 Germany to Thailand FDs ?

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Sep 17, 2016 at 6:06 am
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
SAS files fares C1-C3 ??
Just typo. OP was asking C2-C3 (esp. C2e-C3).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Not so bad for Europe, SAS deal as mentioned and some tricks. I meant central RU region as C3e. Only one carrier dumpable now and price is still ~350$. Last fixed was CA. THE END IS AT HAND.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
avoid www.cheapbestfares.com
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Are there any dumps for TP? Right now they have an awesome OW base fare of $10 OFLASHOW C1-C2.. Its rare to see a OW fare.. Any ideas on dumping some fat?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
Are there any dumps for TP? Right now they have an awesome OW base fare of $10 OFLASHOW C1-C2.. Its rare to see a OW fare.. Any ideas on dumping some fat?
Quickly tried a few things, got some fat off nut nothing significant. But good sign that it should be possible to do better I guess.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Again you think in narrow straight line fashion.
Using my narrow straight line thinking I see a MU fare for NYC to TYO at around $520 with 3x.

Since you mentioned United Airlines (UA) to Japan and UA USA to Japan has NO YQ; then instead of Fuel Dumping you are doing "Fuel Adding" by finding another country destination near Japan (say China) that has YQ, adding a separate flight to Japan from that country, and then dumping the YQ to that country.

The problem is UA lowest base fare to PEK/PVG is already $390 and a R/T from China to Tokyo is around $266. Those 2 together is MORE than the cost of simply flying to Tokyo on MU.

So I guess Fly4fly is correct. Why not just buy a cheap ticket rather than forcing a "non-linear" logic that makes little sense.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by Igetit
Using my narrow straight line thinking I see a MU fare for NYC to TYO at around $520 with 3x.

Since you mentioned United Airlines (UA) to Japan and UA USA to Japan has NO YQ; then instead of Fuel Dumping you are doing "Fuel Adding" by finding another country destination near Japan (say China) that has YQ, adding a separate flight to Japan from that country, and then dumping the YQ to that country.

The problem is UA lowest base fare to PEK/PVG is already $390 and a R/T from China to Tokyo is around $266. Those 2 together is MORE than the cost of simply flying to Tokyo on MU.

So I guess Fly4fly is correct. Why not just buy a cheap ticket rather than forcing a "non-linear" logic that makes little sense.

You can fat-cut MU and DL way more to TYO. find a better reduce fat fast.

---

Regarding TP, I've been able to dump roundtrips. None of my current 3x work for the C1-C2 you mention. :|
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
Not so bad for Europe, SAS deal as mentioned and some tricks. I meant central RU region as C3e. Only one carrier dumpable now and price is still ~350$. Last fixed was CA. THE END IS AT HAND.
If you are thinking ahead, when travel, and not ad hoc, there is currently good direct option (with a useful distant 1x) C2c-C3se around 150€ with nice European airline.

Edit: 124 €

Last edited by burito; Sep 20, 2016 at 3:02 am Reason: Better price
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: LH Silver, IHG Gold
Flights from FCO and FRA and AMS and ARN are dumpable too, but diffrently.

For anyone living or visiting Rome I just got back from Rome and have free champagne brunch coupons. I just posted them on FT's "Coupon Connection" thread.
Well, I found the 3X from US but it is not as good as the one for other * flights to the same destination, so it is kind of pointless. But I am still trying to find the one from C2. You say differently. How different do you mean? Involves 1X, 2X too? Any hints?

Much appreciated
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by Lookee
Well, I found the 3X from US but it is not as good as the one for other * flights to the same destination, so it is kind of pointless. But I am still trying to find the one from C2. You say differently. How different do you mean? Involves 1X, 2X too? Any hints?

Much appreciated
DOJ works sometimes as well... 3x and 1x i had got fixed
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomasdev
You can fat-cut MU and DL way more to TYO. find a better reduce fat fast.
Understand; but the OP assertion was for UNITED not Delta.

But the gist of the discussion still holds true -- when there is no YQ to the destination country; do you do Fuel Adding by finding a nearby country that has YQ and dump it, then buy (most probably) a separate flight to the original destination country???

Also, do you add the cost of a VISA to China in the equation?

Is there a point where the simplicity of just buying a straight fare is a lot better than going out of your way to show you can FD in the most complicated possible itinerary?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Etihad Guest, Delta SkyMiles
All carriers dead for dumping now? Seems like regular fares completely won the price game
Found a dumpable ticket a few days ago based on a post in a different thread on FT (about low CPM with a certain carrier). The run described just screams that it is dumpable, although it mainly results in a low CPM. The posted itinerary was from C2W, but can be found for C2E too (about €270 after a quick search).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.