Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themrock
Hi!
because i read so many stories about endless waiting time at immigration, i would like to ask you, if my connecting time is okay.
Flights are at a Saturday United 973 from Brüssel arriving at 12:50 AM Booking Class C
Connecting Flight United 1425 04:25 PM to Fort Myers
Thank you
I think you mean you will be arriving at 12:50 pm and departing at 4:25 pm - giving yourself 3-1/2 hours. That should be plenty to clear immigration and get to your connecting gate without any problems.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:57 am

Melanie, I'm going to agree with DJ and suggest you get wheelchair assistance. While no doubt you're still a young 92, Just make it easy on yourself and let someone else do the work getting you over to T5.

Depending what "C" gate you're arriving at and what "M" gate you'll be departing from, it will take you about 30 minutes walking and taking the train.

With the revamped T5 checkoint, the processing times aren't as bad as they once were and there's specific lanes for wheelchair passengers.

In general, there's movement being made to revamp the signage overall at ORD and it's going to start at T5.

Originally Posted by themrock
Hi!
because i read so many stories about endless waiting time at immigration, i would like to ask you, if my connecting time is okay.
Flights are at a Saturday United 973 from Brüssel arriving at 12:50 AM Booking Class C
Connecting Flight United 1425 04:25 PM to Fort Myers
Thank you
As stated, as long your flight is not delayed you'll be fine.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:00 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by dj506
Melanie - May I suggest that you request wheelchair assistance? The C gates are at the far end of the United terminal. After exiting from the plane, you will need to walk to the middle of the C gate area and find the escalators down. Then walk on the moving sidewalks to the B gate area.

At the end of the tunnel linking B & C, you have two options:
As you near the end of the tunnel between Terminals B & C, you either have to go out into the baggage claim area and take an escalator up to ticketing, then look for the escalator that goes up to the train to other terminals. Take that escalator up, walk about 30 feet, take another escalator down to the train.

OR, you can go up the escalator at the end of the tunnel linking B&C, go around security to either end of the terminal, exit, and then walk to the middle to find that escalator to take you up to the trains to other terminals.

After finding the train, you need to ride it to Terminal 5. Then exit, down the escalator and to security. The line for security at Terminal 5 can get really long, so you can be standing for awhile.

Given the signage and the distances, I would really consider taking advantage of the wheelchair service just to be sure you get to where you are going since you will be on your own.

Either way - hope you have a great trip!
Thanks for the directions. I plan to walk it though. With the long flight after arriving to Chicago, I need to make sure and stretch these legs. And yes, I am a young 92. I walk daily, do water aerobics followed by yoga for seniors. Follow all that up with my nightly splash of wine.

Seriously though, I always schedule my flights with over 2 hour connection time so I can stretch out before the next flight.

Tried that Chicago website twice now but never receive their email with map and directions for printing out. Very strange.

Melanie
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Melmgmel
Thanks for the directions. I plan to walk it though. With the long flight after arriving to Chicago, I need to make sure and stretch these legs. And yes, I am a young 92. I walk daily, do water aerobics followed by yoga for seniors. Follow all that up with my nightly splash of wine.
When I grow up I want to be like you Melanie.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
When I grow up I want to be like you Melanie.

Oh my, aren't you sweet.

OK, after much concern from all of you great people on here (I love you all) I have decided to get assistance to Term 5. You all made such great points and as one said to me, "isn't a good time to be stubborn" which is what I was doing by trying to walk it all the way. I recall walking the length of Delta term in Detroit earlier this year on my way to Italy and that was tiring.
So, I won't be walking it gang. Thanks again for your love and support.
You are all fantastic.

BTW, the ORD website is having problems emailing connection directions but I had a gal from their website send me these, in case they are helpful to someone else.
Walking from C Gates to Terminal 5:

Here are the directions from Concourse C to Terminal 5

They assume that her checked luggage will be checked hrough to her final destination. If that is not the case, and she needs to collect her bags in Terminal 1 and re-check in Terminal 5, please let me know. The airline can give you that information – most likely bags will not need to be collected.

1. Exit the plane and walk towards Concourse C exit

2. Go downstairs (there are escalators and elevators)

3. Walk through the tunnel towards Concourse B

4. Take escalator up to Concourse B (first set she comes to, the second leads to baggage claim)

5. Exit the secure side of the Terminal

6. Locate the Airport Transit System (ATS)

7. Take the ATS to Terminal 5

8. Get of the ATS and follow signs to Ticketing, pass the ticket counters and go through the security checkpoint.

9. Continue to the Departure Gate

Melanie

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:01 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Seriously though, I always schedule my flights with over 2 hour connection time so I can stretch out before the next flight.

Tried that Chicago website twice now but never receive their email with map and directions for printing out. Very strange.

Melanie
Melanie, before we go too far, I saw another posting from you on the United forum about what I think might be the return portion of this same trip. That one involved transferring from LH to UA.

If this is the same trip and all on United or Lufthansa, you may not be aware that at ORD both United and Lufthansa INTL flights leave from Terminal 1, not Terminal 5.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Melanie, before we go too far, I saw another posting from you on the United forum about what I think might be the return portion of this same trip. That one involved transferring from LH to UA.

If this is the same trip and all on United or Lufthansa, you may not be aware that at ORD both United and Lufthansa INTL flights leave from Terminal 1, not Terminal 5.
I am returning thru Houston. Airport I've never been thru in my life. Amazing, huh? Oh, I'm flying over on Swiss. So excited. Hoping for great chocolate

Melanie

Last edited by Melmgmel; Sep 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm Reason: mistake
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:39 pm

4. Take escalator up to Concourse B (first set she comes to, the second leads to baggage claim)

5. Exit the secure side of the Terminal

6. Locate the Airport Transit System (ATS)
Not to complicate things....but I would actually exit to baggage claim and take escalator up to ticketing/check-in or elevator up to ATS. I do that quite frequently to get to the garage, which is accessed through the same overpass as ATS.

The problem with the above instructions is, the escalator from B-C tunnel comes up to B in the middle on a really, really long security checkpoint, so exiting secure side of the terminal requires a fairly long trek to the right.

Oh, I'm flying over on Swiss. So excited. Hoping for great chocolate
Chocolate is just Ok. I love Movenpick ice cream though...hope they still serve it in all classes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:01 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:31 am

Chocolate is just Ok. I love Movenpick ice cream though...hope they still serve it in all classes.

Do they serve it in coach?

Melanie

Not to complicate things....but I would actually exit to baggage claim and take escalator up to ticketing/check-in or elevator up to ATS. I do that quite frequently to get to the garage, which is accessed through the same overpass as ATS.

The problem with the above instructions is, the escalator from B-C tunnel comes up to B in the middle on a really, really long security checkpoint, so exiting secure side of the terminal requires a fairly long trek to the right.

Hmmmm, more to thing about.

I'll write that down on my notes right now. I won't get lost, right??

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:02 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

This part is actually fairly easy if you pay attention. When you leave concourse C you'll go down an escalator and then take a people mover through a tunnel (with lots of blinking neon tubing that earned it the nickname "death tunnel", but I digress...).

At the far end you'll see a very tempting long set of escalators going up. DO NOT TAKE THAT SET. Instead go around them, and you'll see a second set. These are the ones you want, and they lead one level up to baggage claim, from there take any escalators marked "UP" one more level to ticketing and then look for the escalators to the ATS shuttle train. They're opposite the ticketing desks, sort in the middle of the area. You'll walk through a little overpass and then down to the station. Terminal 1 is the end of the line, so all trains will go to the INTL terminal, just get on the first one.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:49 am

Do they serve it in coach?
I have not flown LX in a couple of years, but they definitely used to serve ice cream on ZRH-ORD.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:21 am

This part is actually fairly easy if you pay attention. When you leave concourse C you'll go down an escalator and then take a people mover through a tunnel (with lots of blinking neon tubing that earned it the nickname "death tunnel", but I digress...).

At the far end you'll see a very tempting long set of escalators going up. DO NOT TAKE THAT SET. Instead go around them, and you'll see a second set. These are the ones you want, and they lead one level up to baggage claim, from there take any escalators marked "UP" one more level to ticketing and then look for the escalators to the ATS shuttle train. They're opposite the ticketing desks, sort in the middle of the area. You'll walk through a little overpass and then down to the station. Terminal 1 is the end of the line, so all trains will go to the INTL terminal, just get on the first one.
Thank you. You are all so sweet. I love you all.

Melanie
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:06 pm
glg

If you think you're lost, just ask someone. Although we Chicagoans tend to be rushed, we're still Midwesterners at heart and happy to give directions.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Very good instructions!

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Very good instructions!

Cheers.

Leaving tomorrow. Thank you all for your help and kindness towards me.
I am perfectly prepared for this journey overseas and it's because of all you great people.

Your friend,
Melanie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.