Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - You still have not answered the original question. Are you on one or two tickets?

Remember, UA requires you to be at the departure gate no later than T-30. Thus, you have 15 minutes from brakes locking on your inbound to being through the gate reader on your outbound. That's crazy, even if legal. Do you have an emergency on both ends of the trip which requires this sort of scheduling?
It's one ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
45 minutes is doable if no delays. AC flights arrive into T2, while UA widebodies depart from T1 C concourse. There is a shuttle that goes from E3 or E4 directly to C9, or you can walk to C concourse in under 10 minutes. No need to re-clear security.

A 25 min delay on the inbound means you are screwed.

Last edited by legalalien; Apr 4, 2014 at 7:17 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:54 pm

Plenty of press today as Westfield and the City formally opened the revamped T5.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...04-908589.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101555665

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2109827.story

http://www.enquirerherald.com/2014/0...p=/99/117/365/

There's ongoing projects that will continue over the summer.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by ords
Plenty of press today as Westfield and the City formally opened the revamped T5.
Thanks ords for keeping us in the loop throughout the duration of this project.

Hopefully somebody will write a review soon; the above links point to the same AP/PR Newswire press release.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
Thanks ords for keeping us in the loop throughout the duration of this project.

Hopefully somebody will write a review soon; the above links point to the same AP/PR Newswire press release.
I guess they do......All of the local networks were out so I know there's segments online.

I'll be curious how the reviews come back too. There's still work in progress but now it's refocusing on the inbound side to make it much easier and friendly overall than what's being done currently.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by durberville
I pulled MCT for ORD:

I am landing on AC7403 at 14:56 (T2), leaving on UA958 at 15:50 (T1). That leaves me with I guess 54minute connection, which looking at the above, doesn't seem legal.
If you are arriving at T2, you have pre-cleared US Immigrations/customs at your departing airport.

This is a domestic-international connection. And as far as MCT is concerned, 54 minutes is legal. I am not saying it is not a tight connection, just that it is legal.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.1 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: ORD/AC-UA]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         ORD                          050 075 090 090  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L FLT-NBR                AREA  EFF / DISC                     

AC 2200-5999                                   --- 080 --- ---  
UA 6889-7038                                                    

AC 2200-5999                                   --- 040 --- ---  
UA 8715-9589                                                    

AC 2200-5999                                   --- 040 --- ---  
UA 9640-9739                                                    

AC                         CA  13FEB14         045 --- --- ---  
UA 0001-1764                                                    

AC                         CA  13FEB14         045 --- --- ---  
UA 3250-6548                                                    

AC                             13FEB14         --- 045 --- ---  
UA 0001-1764                                                    

AC                             13FEB14         --- 045 --- ---  
UA 3250-6548                                                    

AC                                             --- --- 095 095  
UA 0001-1764                                                    

AC                                             050 --- --- ---  
UA 1900-3249 

AC                                             --- --- 095 095  
UA 3250-6548                                                    

--------------------------------------------------------------

[DD]    Domestic To Domestic      [DI]    Domestic To Intl    
[ID]    Intl To Domestic          [II]    Intl To Intl        
[TR]    Terminal                  [A/L]   Airline             
[DEP]   Departure Airport         [ARR]   Arrival Airport     
[EQP W] Wide-Body Aircraft        [EQP N] Narrow-Body Aircraft
[SUP]   Suppressed/Undefined      [EFF]   Effective Date
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ords
I'll be curious how the reviews come back too. There's still work in progress but now it's refocusing on the inbound side to make it much easier and friendly overall than what's being done currently.
That's great news, too. I have always hated the long, drab corridors you get to walk through upon arrival.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:34 pm
BCH

I believe there was talk at one point about having airside shuttle buses for nonconnecting pax - just because - so they can shop and done, I guess. Any update on that? Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: BA, United, Hilton, Avis
Hi All,

I am travelling on business and have some questions on connection times at ORD. Although I have flown to and from the US a lot over the years, surprisingly, it will be my first time through ORD.

I am flying from RIC into ORD at 14:45 EDT on Envoy Air As American Eagle For American Airlines into Terminal 3. I fly out at 18:10 EDT on BA Terminal 5 International. That gives me just 3 hours 25 minutes to get from terminal 3 to terminal 5. I will have checked baggage as well as carry on.

I have ready mixed messages regarding how much time I will need. Some say 2 hours, some say 6! Please could someone with experience kindly advise?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Clucky
Hi All,

I am travelling on business and have some questions on connection times at ORD. Although I have flown to and from the US a lot over the years, surprisingly, it will be my first time through ORD.

I am flying from RIC into ORD at 14:45 EDT on Envoy Air As American Eagle For American Airlines into Terminal 3. I fly out at 18:10 EDT on BA Terminal 5 International. That gives me just 3 hours 25 minutes to get from terminal 3 to terminal 5. I will have checked baggage as well as carry on.

I have ready mixed messages regarding how much time I will need. Some say 2 hours, some say 6! Please could someone with experience kindly advise?
6?! Even before security at Terminal 5 was recently improved from its near-zoolike state, that would be an exaggeration.

BA operates a shuttle from gates G17 and K20 in T3 to T5 for connecting passengers in the afternoons. If you are coming in on Eagle, you will most likely be arriving at a G gate, so simply walk to the far end of the concourse and down the stairs to catch the bus. It runs every 20 minutes or so, and bypasses the need to reclear security, so you will have ample time to make the connection even if your flight is running late.

In the past, many people refrained from going to T5 until shortly before departure because of a lack of airside restaurants and shopping. Thankfully, the airport recently renovated part of the terminal to add them, so you shouldn't have too much trouble killing some time before your flight.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: BA, United, Hilton, Avis
Thats great, thankyou for your reply, it's really helpful. I am going to print it off and take it with me so I remember!

Will I need to collect my checked baggage from the internal flight and re-check it in for the international flight as per the inward bound trip (but in reverse!)?

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:07 am

Thats great, thankyou for your reply, it's really helpful. I am going to print it off and take it with me so I remember!

Will I need to collect my checked baggage from the internal flight and re-check it in for the international flight as per the inward bound trip (but in reverse!)?

Thanks.
If checked in to your final destination, your bags will be transferred to the international flight. No need to retrieve and re-check.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Seems the bus runs slightly less frequently than I remember, but here is the latest schedule:

Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
No. When coming into the US, you had to clear customs. So even of your bag was checked to the final destination, you had to clear it through customs at the first sto, then hand it back to the carrier (which can be done just after the customs).

When leaving the US, there is no customs to clear. At RIC, AA can check your luggage to the final destination in UK.

However, something similar may (or may not) happen in UK. You may (or may not) have to clear your bags through customs and then hand over to the airline. This is something you should ask BA.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:41 am

Hello FlyerTalkers,

I wonder if you would answer a couple of queries I have regarding transiting through ORD because it will be my first time and you guys really know your stuff!

I am thinking of booking a flight from SJO to ORD, due to arrive at 19:20 on Saturday evening. My connecting flight leaves ORD at 22:25 for FRA. I have been told that both flights are with United and use terminal 1.

As a UK traveler, will I have to recheck my baggage at ORD or would United check it through to my final destination (BHX)?
Also, is 3 hours enough time for this flight connection?
Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.