Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Sandyblandy
Hello FlyerTalkers,

I wonder if you would answer a couple of queries I have regarding transiting through ORD because it will be my first time and you guys really know your stuff!

I am thinking of booking a flight from SJO to ORD, due to arrive at 19:20 on Saturday evening. My connecting flight leaves ORD at 22:25 for FRA. I have been told that both flights are with United and use terminal 1.

As a UK traveler, will I have to recheck my baggage at ORD or would United check it through to my final destination (BHX)?
Also, is 3 hours enough time for this flight connection?
Many thanks!
SJO, as in San Jose, Costa Rica?

If so, then your flight will arrive to Terminal 5. The bags should be tagged to the final destination, but you will still need to clear immigration, pick up bags, clear customs with the bags, and then drop them off before exiting secure area. After that, you will need to take airport train to T1 (~10 min travel time), clear security, and get to your departure gate.

3 hours should be sufficient. As a UK citizen with visa waiver you can use automated kiosks to answer immigration questions and speed up the process. Customs are usually not an issue, and I don't think there will be a particularly long line at security in T1, although after 8:30pm or 9pm only one checkpoint is open in T1. If your inbound flight is significantly delayed, things might get tight.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Thanks Legalalien for the clear info you've given me - you've put my mind at ease. Costa Rica, here I come!
Cheers,
Sandy
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Is it possible to access T5 from T1 on the people mover without going through security? I have a layover between UA domestic flights but would like to use my *A Gold card to access the LX lounge in T5.

Last edited by DeterminedToUpgrade; Jun 17, 2014 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
Is it possible to access T5 from T1 on the people mover without going through security? I have a layover between UA domestic flights but would like to use my *A Gold card to access the LX lounge in T5.
By "people mover" I assume you mean the Airport Transit System (ATS)? No. You'll need to go through security both ways. The ATS runs completely outside of security.

You can access all of the domestic terminals (T1, T2, T3) from each other on foot inside security. There is also a shuttle bus that runs from Gate E2A of T2 to gate C9 of T1 inside security.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
By "people mover" I assume you mean the Airport Transit System (ATS)? No. You'll need to go through security both ways. The ATS runs completely outside of security.
Thanks. Probably not enough time then. Too bad! It seems foolish to risk a connection for a little snack and a nice place to sit.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:24 am

ORD international to domestic connection

My mom has TPE ORD CLE with 110 minutes to connect in ORD. My question is she has checked luggage, is this enough time to go through everything?
Also, what is the procedure from plane to plane? Is it immigration, pick up luggage, recheck luggage (where?) boarding? Sorry, I've only only checked in at YYZ or with 23 hour layover stateside.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:51 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the Chicago forum for more discussion.

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
My mom has TPE ORD CLE with 110 minutes to connect in ORD. My question is she has checked luggage, is this enough time to go through everything?
Also, what is the procedure from plane to plane? Is it immigration, pick up luggage, recheck luggage (where?) boarding? Sorry, I've only only checked in at YYZ or with 23 hour layover stateside.
110 min can be close, depending on time of day and her nationality/visa status. The procedure is immigration, pick up luggage, customs, re-check luggage upon clearing customs, but before exiting secure area (if flying AA or UA domestically), take airport train to one of domestic terminals, clear security, go to gate.

It can happen in 20-30 minutes if GE/Pre-Check. It can take longer than 110 minutes if non-resident, no pre-check, and happen to arrive at peak time, e.g., between 1pm and 4pm.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

ORD international to domestic connection

Thanks for the details! Unfortunately no GE, but she is a citizen so it's not worst case. It will be UA domestic
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
Thanks for the details! Unfortunately no GE, but she is a citizen so it's not worst case. It will be UA domestic
She can use automated kiosks (APC - see http://bit.ly/1lnMHFq) to speed things up, if technically inclined. Once past customs control there will be signs for baggage re-check (United to one side, American to the other), then she needs to follow signs for ATS (Airport Train) and take a train to either Terminal 1 (B, C gates) or 2 (United Express E, F gates). TSAPre lanes are available at either terminal, but United check-in counters are only in T1. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are connected airside.

Good luck!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
I have GE status (thank you, UA) but have not used it yet. I'll be coming back into the USA on an upcoming trip along with my wife but she doesn't have GE. What's the best way for the two of us to go through customs?

Separate question: I know there's a AA-->BA transfer shuttle that bypasses T5 security. Is there anything similar for UA-->*A departures from T5? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I have GE status (thank you, UA) but have not used it yet. I'll be coming back into the USA on an upcoming trip along with my wife but she doesn't have GE. What's the best way for the two of us to go through customs?

Separate question: I know there's a AA-->BA transfer shuttle that bypasses T5 security. Is there anything similar for UA-->*A departures from T5? Thanks in advance.
A bit pedantic, but I think you mean to ask what the best way to go through immigration is, not customs. (The two processes are separate). With the new APC kiosks, it should not take her much longer than you to get through immigration. I'm in the same boat as you when traveling with my SO, so I'll drop her off at the normal line, clear GE myself, then wait just past the CBP booths for her before picking up and luggage and clearing customs together.

AFAIK, there is no shuttle for *A pax.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by linglingfool
A bit pedantic, but I think you mean to ask what the best way to go through immigration is, not customs. (The two processes are separate). With the new APC kiosks, it should not take her much longer than you to get through immigration. I'm in the same boat as you when traveling with my SO, so I'll drop her off at the normal line, clear GE myself, then wait just past the CBP booths for her before picking up and luggage and clearing customs together.

AFAIK, there is no shuttle for *A pax.
Thanks and yes, I meant immigration. I assume I can forget about GE and just go through the normal immigration line with her?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thanks and yes, I meant immigration. I assume I can forget about GE and just go through the normal immigration line with her?
Haven't tried, to be honest. I'm sure someone else can answer, though.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:26 pm

Yes. Just don't forget to fill out the blue form for both of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.